Boar or deer slot?

3 hours ago, CaptC said:

Only one "slot?" - One legged boar?

It was on the bank of a stream. The previous footprint would have been on hard ground and the next would have been in the stream. The area was also covered in lots of deer slots.

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Looks like a camels toe! 

Your camels must be big!

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Miniature batman fell face first into the mud?? 

Nah, no imprint from Robin!

1 hour ago, vampire said:

its a big cat🙄

I haven't put those ones up yet!

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Your joking? 

Apparently they’re spreading like wild fire. 

Nope.  Only one population is thriving, the well known Forest of Dean lot.  All the others as far as I can ascertain are not.  I would go as far as saying that some are just about / barely hanging in there.  Thermal, night vision, cashing in, the urge to ‘shoot a pig’, are all contributing to some of the populations suffering range and number contraction. They certainly have not thrived like it wa predicted they would do 15-20 years ago.  In fifty years we will be lucky to have any.

Edited by scolopax

6 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Nope.  Only one population is thriving, the well known Forest of Dean lot.  All the others as far as I can ascertain are not.  I would go as far as saying that some are just about / barely hanging in there.  Thermal, night vision, cashing in, the urge to ‘shoot a pig’, are all contributing to some of the populations suffering range and number contraction. They certainly have not thrived like it wa predicted they would do 15-20 years ago.  In fifty years we will be lucky to have any.

Sounds like the deer in Wales. They introduced Roe to Merthyr Mawr at one point, they didn’t last long.

Wales has some fantastic land but every man and his dog is out killing it (literally). 

On 23/11/2019 at 22:15, scolopax said:

This seems to be the case around here. Everyone wants to shoot one. Unless i see quite a few more or they become a problem, I think i will leave him alone.

On 01/07/2019 at 19:46, Dougy said:

Looks too square, the print would have increased in size due to the wet but it just looks wrong, the middle has probably fallen away making it look even more unlike Boar..

Do you think this is a Boar(male)? I cant see any tusks? Could it not have tusks? 

Would it be likely to be solitary? Or part of a group? 

Thanks.

They are family orientated and have a strong hierarchy, the big daddy pig will not usually be apart of the lady an baby group, called a sounder, unless he fancies a bit of crackling.

The one in the pictures looks like a youngster, The males (big boys) roam alone, and get blooming BIG if given time, ive seen one the size of a dinner table through my scope around 75yds off. 

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

They are family orientated and have a strong hierarchy, the big daddy pig will not usually be apart of the lady an baby group, called a sounder, unless he fancies a bit of crackling.

The one in the pictures looks like a youngster, The males (big boys) roam alone, and get blooming BIG if given time, ive seen one the size of a dinner table through my scope around 75yds off. 

Thank you. So there is a good chance there will be more around? I think i disturbed this one whilst i was in an area of the wood that is rarely visited/disturbed. I will move a couple of the cameras to that area next week and see what they capture.

7 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

It doesn't look that big  so it won't have  any tusks to speak of cant tell by looking at the pics either

Can anyone tell if its male or female from the pics? i'll try and get a pic of me on the camera in the same place so that you can get an idea of size. I don't think i'll get on all fours though!😁