renewal of shotgun and firearms

40 minutes ago, blueoneball1299 said:

hi guys i am under the gwent force and my ticket is up for renewal but my doctor wont write a letter to say i am safe to keep it going hes aganist all firearms so do anybody know of a independent doctor who will do it foe me in south wales cheers guys

If your in BASC I would contact them for advice!.......or perhaps ask the surgery for a printout (I understand  they can't refuse!) of your medical records, which should confirm if you have any medical condition (specified on the application form) that would prevent you holding a certificate....then show that to the police?

Edited by panoma1

37 minutes ago, blueoneball1299 said:

independent doctor who will do it foe me in south wales cheers guys 

By independant, I assume you mean a non-NHS practice. I had one recommended by my FEO no less !

They will provide the required letter, but I would be required to provide a print out of my medical records supplied under the FOI act from my GPs surgery then attend a consultaion at a cost of £85. There was then an `admin` charge of £30 for producing the necessary letter.  If someone local to you cant recommend one, you could try your FEO because he will undoubtedly know of one in your area.

My option after phoning around was to change GPs practice. I am currently going through the process. Not something I particularly wanted to do, but I resent the £115 fee of going private to obtain the necessary letter. The new NHS practice charge £25 for the required letter.

14 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

then show that to the police?

Other forces may differ, however there are now a number of forces who will not accept a medical record print out. Kent Police state provide a sample letter showing what the GP needs to confirm and state categorically: "No letter, no renewal or initial issue of licence".

11 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

By independant, I assume you mean a non-NHS practice. I had one recommended by my FEO no less !

They will provide the required letter, but I would be required to provide a print out of my medical records supplied under the FOI act from my GPs surgery then attend a consultaion at a cost of £85. There was then an `admin` charge of £30 for producing the necessary letter.  If someone local to you cant recommend one, you could try your FEO because he will undoubtedly know of one in your area.

My option after phoning around was to change GPs practice. I am currently going through the process. Not something I particularly wanted to do, but I resent the £115 fee of going private to obtain the necessary letter. The new NHS practice charge £25 for the required letter.

So the police will accept a "letter" from a GP who doesn't know the applicant from Adam...........which is solely based on the evidence provided by the applicant, of his own medical history, from a medical record printout obtained from the current practice under the FOI Act?

Why then will the police not accept a printout of an applicants medical history, if he cuts out the middleman (and the expense!) and provides a printout of his medical history himself?

It seems the police are willing to accept evidence, only if the applicant pays a GP for confirmation that the declaration on his application form is true? Why is it not then acceptable to take your medical records to any independent third party for confirmation of your application declaration?........or is a GP the only one who can compare an individual's medical record with the medical declaration on the application form? This is clearly an intentional restrictive practice.

bloody ridiculous!

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

So the police will accept a "letter" from a GP who doesn't know the applicant from Adam...........which is solely based on the evidence provided by the applicant, of his own medical history, from a medical record printout obtained from the current practice under the FOI Act?

Correct !  Totally mind boggling in its stupidity; but that is the result of letting Chief Constables introduce their own laws as they go along. When I complained, Kent Police actually recommended the private practice !!!!  Could it possibly be that someone on the police side  is getting a little backhander for recommending that particular practice !!!!   No, cant believe I even suggested that; our Police wouldnt do such a thing, or would they ? :whistling:

Edited by JJsDad

33 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

bloody ridiculous!

Ridiculous it may be, but this self imposed rule by Chief Constables is spreading & totally unchecked by the Home Office (HO). My complaint to Kent Police about exceeding the HO guidelines was met by the glib response,  "The Home Office Guidlines are exactly that. Guidlines only"

44 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Why then will the police not accept a printout of an applicants medical history, if he cuts out the middleman (and the expense!) and provides a printout of his medical history himself?

It seems the police are willing to accept evidence, only if the applicant pays a GP for confirmation that the declaration on his application form is true? Why is it not then acceptable to take your medical records to any independent third party for confirmation of your application declaration?........or is a GP the only one who can compare an individual's medical record with the medical declaration on the application form? This is clearly an intentional restrictive practice.

bloody ridiculous!

It is indeed ridiculous. None of my regular GP's knew me form Adam, because all of the ones whom I grew up with have now long since retired, and I can now see any one of seven doctors, plus locus, who have no personal knowledge of me whatsoever. Since moving from the sticks into THE STICKS, I have now joined another practise as I was out of the catchment area of my original, and these lot know even less about me. All they have to go on is my medical history, based on what is in my record, and that's as it should be, but none of them are in any position to decide whether I'm fit or otherwise to own firearms. It's a complete farce and lottery, and something our so called shooting representatives despite what they claim, can do nothing about, otherwise they would have done so by now.

They were certainly quick to act regarding GL's, but very reluctant to admit they are powerless regarding this matter.