STOP PRESS !! Thames Valley Police NEW ruling FAC/SHOTGUN Applications/ Renewal/ GP assessment letter

Maybe the BASC will pay for our Doc's fee's - after all they are sitting on several million pounds worth of subscriptions. Cant help but laugh at the Police justifying this new hurdle by including the fact that it will speed up current applications - this I've got to see.

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, so health tourists can come in to the the UK and get free NHS and we in the UK have to pay our N I and taxes to pay for it on top of that GP s are going to charge patients those fees as well as the medical assessment letters for FAC/shotgun applications and renewal of £133 if that is what has been stated, as a side note getting a GP appointment is bad enough in most doctors surgeries,  

Correct, just beyond me as to why we are expected to support the healthcare of the world?

The BMA have obviously just decided that this new policy covertly provides all of them with a continuing "nice little earner?"

1 minute ago, old man said:

Correct, just beyond me as to why we are expected to support the healthcare of the world?

The BMA have obviously just decided that this new policy covertly provides all of them with a continuing "nice little earner?"

hello, yes it makes me !!!!!!!! when on the local news a young brave little boy needs treatment not given on the NHS so the staff at his hospital are raising the money 

There is an article in this months sporting shooter by the CE of countryside alliance saying that the shooting organisations are working with the home office to try to solve the problem. Don't know the truth but his article is called " light at the end of the tunnel"

I predict that the requirement to provide a confirmatory GP's letter at a set charge to the applicant will be agreed, the government will support the police getting what they want (further regulation) the GMC will support the GP's getting what they want (money!) the shooting representatives will agree it because they ain't got a choice.......and we the shooters will foot the bill!

52 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I predict that the requirement to provide a confirmatory GP's letter at a set charge to the applicant will be agreed, the government will support the police getting what they want (further regulation) the GMC will support the GP's getting what they want (money!) the shooting representatives will agree it because they ain't got a choice.......and we the shooters will foot the bill!

Yep. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just come across this thread via Google.

Had my renewal recently. Disclosed a medical condition and now have a separate letter from police stating I need to request further information from my GP. They helpfully provide a standard letter I can sign telling the doctor “if you require a fee for this I am happy to pay for this”. How charming!

My concerns with this relate to the question on the renewal form stating to must disclose if you have EVER been diagnosed. So even it was 30 years ago and well in the past you’d still be considered “tainted”. I’m very surprised there isn’t a “drop off” period of 5/10years or so when it’s considered no longer an issue. A bit like a criminal conviction can be removed from your record after a period of time as such. Once “guilty” always guilty!

To “sentence” you to providing a medical report every 5 years at renewal forever more seems rather discriminatory.

This new system seems designed to equalise that situation by putting everyone in the same boat...everyone considered guilty until proven innocent by a paid for report. Funny old world!

I also question whether doctors are best placed to advise on some conditions noted too....but that is another matter!

This whole business is BS. When a previously convicted criminal gets the OK from a qualified psychiatrist the day before he goes on to stab a guy to death on a train, seems to me the Old Bill is expecting a bit to much from a General Practitioner, who in all fairness isn't qualified like a professional psychiatrist is, and as it is they can still get it badly wrong. As I have said before, all the shooting organisations should be working flat out on this. They can work together, if pushed as has been seen with the GL fiasco. This BS is just another excuse to try and make the public safer by removing firearms from what is arguably the most law abiding section of the community, by stealth. We who recognise the privilege of possessing a SGC/FAC are not deliberately going to lose them. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7241017/Man-GUILTY-murdering-father-stabbed-son-Surrey-train.html

WELL the perception of joe public is that anyone who shoots is loaded😉 the way things are going a shooter will have to be well off just to get a licence.

Doctors just don't have enough time to see you but as always if money is involved they make time.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:44, Grapefruit said:

My concerns with this relate to the question on the renewal form stating to must disclose if you have EVER been diagnosed. So even it was 30 years ago and well in the past you’d still be considered “tainted”. I’m very surprised there isn’t a “drop off” period of 5/10years or so when it’s considered no longer an issue. A bit like a criminal conviction can be removed from your record after a period of time as such. Once “guilty” always guilty!

To “sentence” you to providing a medical report every 5 years at renewal forever more seems rather discriminatory.

Looks like it's OK to wipe the record clean if you've committed murder or are a sex offender:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/criminal-record-disclose-conviction-wipe-erase-four-years-david-gauke-a9003811.html