Humane Dispatch

Prospero

A recent thread about the use of pistols for the above got me thinking.

I regulary cage trap and shoot foxes with my .410 - and do it humanely. But I have never had any formal training in humane dispatch - there is plenty online these days that one can read and educate oneself on shot placement etc, and although I have never done humane dispatch on deer or pigs for example, I think I would be able to do it properly and effectively.

So, the question is, do I need any more training? I have had a SGC for many years, I do pest control for a living, am a member of BASIS, NPTA and have a long and tiring list of other qualifications in pest control. My SGC doesn't mention quarry or the like, so I am interested in opinions, especially the chaps who know a bit about deer.

If you are intending to do roadside despatch of deer then it may be worth considering as an HD course will cover more than just shot placement and selection of firearm etc it will cover risk assessment, the law and insurance etc. 

Having said that as a pest controller you may already be well up on those things, it doesn't sound like you need any training in the practical aspect of HD. 

Unless someone is requiring you to do it, I wouldn't bother personally given the level of experience you say you have. 

A farmer mate of mine says that regarding shot placement, if you draw an imaginary line from the left ear to the right eye, and another from the right ear to the left eye, and place your muzzle there, you cannot miss, whatever the beast. He's never had a runner yet! 🙂 

Short answer is no! If you have a firearms or shotgun licence your qualified. Most professionals knacker men use the humane slaughter association publications as their rule book.  There is a bit more to the job than just rocking up and shooting things in the face!

1 minute ago, Scully said:

A farmer mate of mine says that regarding shot placement, if you draw an imaginary line from the left ear to the right eye, and another from the right ear to the left eye, and place your muzzle there, you cannot miss, whatever the beast. He's never had a runner yet! 🙂 

That isn't always the case. With cattle its eye to horn boss, so between the ears at an angle of 90 deg to the forehead. With horses it about an inch above the cross between eyes and ears at a slight upward angle. With pigs its about an inch above the eye line pointing at the tail.

11 minutes ago, bluesj said:

That isn't always the case. With cattle its eye to horn boss, so between the ears at an angle of 90 deg to the forehead. With horses it about an inch above the cross between eyes and ears at a slight upward angle. With pigs its about an inch above the eye line pointing at the tail.

Ok, I'll tell him he's been doing it wrong. 😉

Just now, Scully said:

Ok, I'll tell him he's been doing it wrong. 😉

One thing that can make up for shot placement in shot energy.  When shooting some thing for humane dispatch you are trying to destroy  the mandibula oblongata (brain stem) and its not a very big target (that you can't see) I've known of too many  people that have missed using a shotgun at a range of a few inches!

31 minutes ago, bluesj said:

One thing that can make up for shot placement in shot energy.  When shooting some thing for humane dispatch you are trying to destroy  the mandibula oblongata (brain stem) and its not a very big target (that you can't see) I've known of too many  people that have missed using a shotgun at a range of a few inches!

He uses his .243 Win. Like I said, he hasn't had any runners yet. 🙂

On 04/07/2019 at 19:13, Ricko said:

I saw a humane killer many years ago, it had been used for dispatching coursing greyhounds. It was a .22lr and you had to press the barrel against the forehead to release the safety mechanism.

Same as the jab ones I've seen which you slam against its head. Imagine trying to do that to a stag with broken legs! 

On 02/07/2019 at 21:31, Dougy said:

Just blow its head off from behind with a 12b. 

If it doesnt drop then come back on here and consult the eggspurts. 

😂 

Think he dropped the mike on the way out 🎤

All these bits of advise are all well and good if you have a cattle crusher to hold the beast in while you line up the muzzle with the "X" in the spot that the book says. 

Been there done that, but in the real world out of the controlled environment of a slaughter house it ain't that simple, but then it seems not many live in the real world. 

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

All these bits of advise are all well and good if you have a cattle crusher to hold the beast in while you line up the muzzle with the "X" in the spot that the book says. 

Been there done that, but in the real world out of the controlled environment of a slaughter house it ain't that simple, but then it seems not many live in the real world. 

Sorry i wasnt having a go. Just that comment really made me chuckle. Maybe the best laugh I've had to myself this week. Misses wants to know why, I explained and she thinks I'm sad. 

Ahhh it cheered me up anyway. 

Back to the beer I thinks 👍🍺

11 minutes ago, Dougy said:

It is very simple, but some just seem to want to make it as complicated as possible for some reason.

8 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I live in the real world all the time. 

If you don't know how to do something properly under the ideal conditions how are you going to be able to do it when conditions get tough. 

9 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Sorry i wasnt having a go. Just that comment really made me chuckle. Maybe the best laugh I've had to myself this week. Misses wants to know why, I explained and she thinks I'm sad. 

Ahhh it cheered me up anyway. 

Back to the beer I thinks 👍🍺

Strimmer I didn't think you were, have another beer on me. 😀

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

My dad would kill our cows with a 22lr pistol.  Zero issues.  They would drop straight down.  

Fun fact:  the largest bear ever killed in North America was taken in 1953 by Bella Twin with a 22lr single shot.  It approached while she was going to the out house.  It’s all about shot placement.  

B11CA45E-9888-4BDF-B70D-697AD19F2111.jpeg

Looks like fake news to me...... 

😂 

Good job she was going to the out house because you would **** yourself if that big ****** came after you! 

If you're self employed as the course can be off set against tax then definitely do it. Otherwise theres a lot of literature out there from the HSA that gives everything from shot placement, recommended calibers etc.