New Chief Constable PSNI.

ordnance

I see we have a new Chief Constable, Simon Burn.  Good or bad. ?

Mr Byrne had the most experience of the four applicants for the £207,000-a-year job, having held high ranks in the Metropolitan, Merseyside and Manchester police forces.

205524552-766d2c2c-1371-42d1-a3a7-73be93fad460.jpg

Edited by ordnance

4 minutes ago, millrace said:

He leaves a trail of accusations behind in england well documented and guess what,,,,,

he thinks it's ok to commute here,!!!lol

has he no clue what he has joined,,

my opinion he was appointed as a neutral to appease our great politicians 

Apparently he is not commuting but living in N/I, good luck he will need it. :)

Apparently he was second choice. :)

Following Mary Lou McDonald’s comment that the new PSNI Chief Constable should be ‘an outsider’, police chiefs have sensationally called her bluff and offered the job to ISIS bride, Shamima Begum.“She may have just lost her British citizenship, but she can simply do what the rest of the UK are doing ahead of Brexit and apply for an Irish passport!” explained policing board spokesman, Neil Knorr. “So under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, she’d be an eligible candidate!”

isisgirl-696x365.jpg

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

Does he get a new shiny gun, or does he have minions to protect him? 

Both. He will have non excuse for hiding in his car during a attack. 

The Belfast Telegraph can reveal that the PSNI's Senior Management Team (SMT) scored an impressive average ranging from 48 to 50 out of 50 in their latest annual firearms test. Many of the SMT - which includes the Chief Constable, Deputy Chief Constable Drew Harris, Assistant Chief Constables Mark Hamilton, Will Kerr, Alan Todd and Stephen Martin and the Chief Superintendents - enjoy the security offered by Close Protection Unit (CPU) officers. However, the scores of the top officers are believed to be among the highest achieved in the whole PSNI.

Edited by ordnance

9 hours ago, Blackbriar said:

That salary is more than the Prime Minister's !

All the nonsense that is spouted about austerity.  There is plenty of money for high pay in the public sector ........ but only at high levels.  Look at the BBC, NHS Trusts, Councils, Police and Police Commissioners, senior civil servants etc.  Don't forget the massive pension as well.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

All the nonsense that is spouted about austerity.  There is plenty of money for high pay in the public sector ........ but only at high levels.  Look at the BBC, NHS Trusts, Councils, Police and Police Commissioners, senior civil servants etc.  Don't forget the massive pension as well.

Surely you understand how scale works?

1 single person, in a very high up position, requiring a life time of experience.  

Hundreds of thousands of people in positions that are important but nowhere near as skilled or experienced. 

Im amazed that people still make these arguments.

Police officers have rubbish starting pay yet when they have recruitment they have thousands of applicants for a few posts.

The requirements don’t even include GCSE’s.

Surely you don’t think that job (whilst important) is the equivalent of being the Prime Minister? Or chief constable? 🤔🤷‍♂️

52 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Im amazed that people still make these arguments.

The argument is very simple; is it right that some public sector 'seniors' (Police, NHS Trusts, Local Councils, Police and Crime Commissioners, senior civil servants) receive substantially more pay than the Prime Minister, or senior Government Ministers?

I fully accept that there has been a tight freeze at lower levels of the public sector (nurses, constables, NHS staff).

As a further point, I do understand and value years of experience and that is why I would expect people in senior positions in the police to be people who have passed (through merit) up through the ranks and understand the constraints and pressures of the 'Bobby on the beat'.  I suspect (and I haven't researched, so I admit it is a guess) that many very senior police have come in at well up the rank structure and have gained promotion through manipulation of statistics and targets rather than real merit.

In any organisation those who command the most respect from their colleagues and staff are those who have worked their way up 'through the ranks' - and so have real world experience.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, Diver One said:

BBC Presenters wages over £150k published at 1100h....could be interesting reading for the over 75s who will have to pay to watch them earn it next year

that will be interesting to see, i would say that is 99% of them, the £150K being part timers, that also means most will earn more than this Chief Constable and our PM, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I joined in 1962 and doubled my monthly wage to £38 and existed on a similar low rate compared to other workers until the Edmund Davies enquiry in the early 70s when we caught up with the rest of the world.  The one good thing back then was the pension system based on 25yrs service which ensured that now I actually receive more than my original wage in pension having retired 29yrs ago.  Still not a fortune to waste but we survive and enjoy life.    Pensions went to rat doo doo just after I left, certainly for the lads/lasses doing the work. I had two exceptional Chiefs in 28yrs service, the others where pathetic.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

I had two exceptional Chiefs in 28yrs service, the others where pathetic.

I'm interested to know if the good ones had a background of coming up through the ranks whereas the poor ones had come in part way up the 'ladder'?

My own experience in industry was that those who had come up 'from the shop floor' were invariably better managers (they understood people, colleagues and their day to day problems and frustrations and so got the best from people) than those who had come in from University/Business School/Management training. - who saw everything in terms of figures and statistics and regarded people as a 'weak link' in an 'operational concept' and didn't use people to their best advantages.

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm interested to know if the good ones had a background of coming up through the ranks whereas the poor ones had come in part way up the 'ladder'?

My own experience in industry was that those who had come up 'from the shop floor' were invariably better managers (they understood people, colleagues and their day to day problems and frustrations and so got the best from people) than those who had come in from University/Business School/Management training. - who saw everything in terms of figures and statistics and regarded people as a 'weak link' in an 'operational concept' and didn't use people to their best advantages.

hello, i have a relative who joined the force as a constable or bobby as was called then and went up through the ranks to a Chief Constable, 

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have a relative who joined the force as a constable or bobby as was called then and went up through the ranks to a Chief Constable,

My guess is that he would have made a very good Chief Constable as he would understand how things work.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The argument is very simple; is it right that some public sector 'seniors' (Police, NHS Trusts, Local Councils, Police and Crime Commissioners, senior civil servants) receive substantially more pay than the Prime Minister, or senior Government Ministers?

I fully accept that there has been a tight freeze at lower levels of the public sector (nurses, constables, NHS staff).

Its the same as the argument of paying charity bosses big money. 

You expect people to run billion pound organisation, have the skills and experience to be able to do something on that scale, yet want to pay them half the money they would get in the private sector? 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Its the same as the argument of paying charity bosses big money.

You expect people to run billion pound organisation, have the skills and experience to be able to do something on that scale, yet want to pay them half the money they would get in the private sector? 

It is the same argument in some ways, but not perhaps in others.  A Charity has to be a business as it has to attract funding, administer it and spend it on suitably chosen activities.  It largely has control of its own budget, structure, functioning and destiny.

The Police service, NHS, Councils are public services.  The do have to run in a businesslike way, but their budget, structures and destiny are largely determined by legislation set by Parliament, the Home Office, the Health Department etc. - and also on tje police case by the local Police and Crime Commissioner.  In effect - the Chief Constable is what his name says - he is the head Policeman and has the responsibility of carrying out policy, enforcing laws, within a budget set by others.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I joined in 1962 and doubled my monthly wage to £38 and existed on a similar low rate compared to other workers until the Edmund Davies enquiry in the early 70s when we caught up with the rest of the world.  The one good thing back then was the pension system based on 25yrs service which ensured that now I actually receive more than my original wage in pension having retired 29yrs ago.  Still not a fortune to waste but we survive and enjoy life.    Pensions went to rat doo doo just after I left, certainly for the lads/lasses doing the work. I had two exceptional Chiefs in 28yrs service, the others where pathetic.

Funny old world isn't it? I know that your mob contributed to your pensions whereas we didn't. I joined the RAF at the start of '61 as a Trenchard Brat and at the end of '63 when I passed out was on about the same as you mention. I was a good little airman, took my exams when I was supposed to and ended up where I wanted to be rank wise. Was in until 55 but realised that at that age a half decent job was not going to be forthcoming so took my option and came out at 40. Redundant a few years later so thought stuff this and got my self a nice little number with the MoD - with another pension in the offing to boot. Hadn't been there long bfore I heard some Territorials chatting one weekend so asked them to pass that by me again. I then realised that I'd been stitched up. At my RAF discharge medical I was told that if it had been for a promotion or signing on I would have been rejected because of my well documented hearing loss but because I was joining civvy street "we'll do you a favour and class you as fit". Oh great, thank you! WRONG. When I asked out of interest if I could have done anything about it if I had been classed as unfit, I was told, no. The Territorials put me straight but told me to hurry up as the plug was about to be pulled on new applicants. Like a good little now retired airman again I did as I was told and as a result got myself a nice little lump sum and a regular War Pension payment. Some years later a change of boss for the worse who did me the favour of wanting rid of me. Having been there 10+ years, it's not quite that easy until it turned out that the medic that they sent to interview me was also an ex Brat - just a different trade - so I decided to make it easy for him (boss). All it cost the MoD was my full pension had I got to the 65 year point plus a hefty increase in my War Pension which in itself opened up access to a reduced earnings supplement. Now with the State pension thrown in some 10 years back I'm pulling twice as much as I've ever earned. AND I get a free TV licence for a year at least!

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

My guess is that he would have made a very good Chief Constable as he would understand how things work.

hello, as far as i know he was well liked by all his colleagues but not the criminal fraternity, saying that he did take early retirement, and started his own company in security

10 hours ago, Diver One said:

BBC Presenters wages over £150k published at 1100h....could be interesting reading for the over 75s who will have to pay to watch them earn it next year

hello, just heard a snippet of news on this, top earner is Mr Walker oopps sorry that X footballer even Vanessa Feltz is there, cannot understand why she is a terrible radio presenter, total bill for us licence payers around 200 million to pay all these presenters, would that not pay for the over 75s licence

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The PM can expect a cracking book deal and speaking work after their term which has to be considered as part of the package and worth very considerably more than their state pay.