£75000 awarded for being stupid

washerboy

So - based on this, anyone of us can engineer a claim by buying a coffee, stuffing under our arm and if we're not *offered a tray*, we can spill it and claim compensation?

This just encourages the `where there's blame` culture and really stupid people.

I would imagine the payout was chepear than actually going to court. 

I'm going to stop working and become a professional claimant/stupid person.

It's funny because I was knocked over by a forklift at work at the start of May, due the driver ignoring a stop signal. I'm back now but realisticly it's going to be a year before the damage is completely healed. If I was to claim id be lucky to see £1600 after legal fees. 

Stories like this make genuine claims a joke. 

17 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

It's funny because I was knocked over by a forklift at work at the start of May, due the driver ignoring a stop signal. I'm back now but realisticly it's going to be a year before the damage is completely healed. If I was to claim id be lucky to see £1600 after legal fees. 

Stories like this make genuine claims a joke. 

I'm surprised you can't get a lawyer to take on your case on a contingency basis. 

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

The last one I spoke to wouldnt as the size of the claim wasn't big enough. 

The injury has to last over 4-6 weeks. 

If it genuinely will take over a year to recover then: 

1) why are you back at work? You should have told them your still having problems and not have gone back? 🤷‍♂️

2) you will definitely have a claim and it’ll be more than £1600 if your injury is more than a year long. 

Also, why shouldn't you claim? You’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence. I can only think that you’ve told them your fine? 🤷‍♂️

I bet there's loads more relevant facts to this story than the Sun printed, did the serving staff watch as the 12 year old who presumably wasn't given or offered a tray started to walk away precariously carrying the hot liquids ? Should we expect certain minimum standards from establishments that sell potentially hot foods to young people ? I bet most people bashing so called stupidity would be beside themselves with anger and resentment if it had been their own 12 year old. 

I also bet she and her parents would swap her healthy skin for £75k miserable grand in a heart beat. 

Edited by Hamster

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

The injury has to last over 4-6 weeks. 

If it genuinely will take over a year to recover then: 

1) why are you back at work? You should have told them your still having problems and not have gone back? 🤷‍♂️

2) you will definitely have a claim and it’ll be more than £1600 if your injury is more than a year long. 

Also, why shouldn't you claim? You’ve been injured by someone else’s negligence. I can only think that you’ve told them your fine? 🤷‍♂️

I'm back at work because I simply can't afford flat weeks, simple as that. And as for telling them I'm fine, far from it. To put in a claim will cost me my job, so I have to be careful how I go about things. 

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

I bet there's loads more relevant facts to this story than the Sun printed, did the serving staff watch as the 12 year old who presumably wasn't given or offered a tray started to walk away precariously carrying the hot liquids ? Should we expect certain minimum standards from establishments that sell potentially hot foods to young people ? I bet most people bashing so called stupidity would be beside themselves with anger and resentment if it had been their own 12 year old. 

I also bet she and her parents would swap her healthy skin for £75k miserable grand in a heart beat. 

Still can't see how Starbucks can be responsible for her putting a hot drink under her arm…..

Perhaps her parents should have been sued too for not teaching her the right and wrongs of handling hot liquids🙄…. My 6 & 8 year old's wouldn't have been so stupid...

25 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Still can't see how Starbucks can be responsible for her putting a hot drink under her arm…..

Perhaps her parents should have been sued too for not teaching her the right and wrongs of handling hot liquids🙄…. My 6 & 8 year old's wouldn't have been so stupid...

We get more like America every day!:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, KB1 said:

Well this is why we have courts of law 😊  where they can listen to both sides versions of events and make judgements based on culpability, stranger awards have been made. One thing's for sure, PigeonWatch massive wouldn't have been privy to the exact first hand details, not that that ever stops people from putting the world to rights all the same. 

I remember…...

• Walking onto a building site with my wellies on, and getting a nail through my foot. -  (No one told me that my wellies were too soft!)
  • Brushing my teeth with my ex-wife's Immac Hair Remover; OUCH….. -  ( It didn't say on the tube that it 'wasn't' toothpaste!)
  • Putting my fingers clean through the toilet roll I was applying to my soiled posterior🤢  - (There was no instructions informing me how many times to fold the tissue to prevent such an occurrence!)
  • Chipping my tooth on next doors patio after I jumped their fence, when I was 10 years old. - (There weren't any jumping technique instructions around; nor were there any height markings on the fence, which would have ensured I stayed handsome to this day!)

To be honest, if I listed everything over the years and then apply snowflake logic, I should be approaching the £200m compensation level by now🙄

She was 12 years old and with her Grandmother.

Her Grandmother surely had the role of 'responsible adult', because she was a child, and the Grandmother should have ensured she used a tray, or at least did not tuck a cup of boiling water under her arm🙄

hello,  i agree KFC should have sued the grandmother, but the person on the till in starbucks should have told her to use a tray, 

21 hours ago, hedge said:

So - based on this, anyone of us can engineer a claim by buying a coffee, stuffing under our arm and if we're not *offered a tray*, we can spill it and claim compensation?

This just encourages the `where there's blame` culture and really stupid people.

I would imagine the payout was chepear than actually going to court. 

I'm going to stop working and become a professional claimant/stupid person.

hello, i am sure there are people who do this or engineer an accident, i know of 2 accounts where this was done

Well this is why we have courts of law 😊  where they can listen to both sides versions of events and make judgements based on culpability, stranger awards have been made. One thing's for sure, PigeonWatch massive wouldn't have been privy to the exact first hand details, not that that ever stops people from putting the world to rights all the same. 

Never a truer word spoken. In fairness to many PW members - I will include myself, before someone else does - we have rarely let facts cloud the issue.😉