How do the BBC Justify these salaries?

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

That is the whole point which you seem intent on ignoring. The sector that the BBC are in consists or privately run companies, not funded by the public.

So what, its the same sector after the same employees, many here have already complained about how useless some at the BBC are, where do you expect them to get cheaper talent from?

The general flow is from the BBC to the commercial stations, for better money!

How much lower do you want the BBC to go, they already spend a lot of money on training talent, then they leave, if they paid the same as the commercial sector staff would be more likely to stay, but then you would complain because they paid them more!

And what happened to the Prime Minister comment, lots of people in the public sector earn more than the PM, not just at the BBC!

Edited by Dekers

2 minutes ago, Dekers said:

And what happened to the Prime Minister comment, lots of people in the public sector earn more than the PM, not just at the BBC!

My SIL is a ‘Head Teacher’ and will reel of the salaries pertaining to some of the Chief positions within “Trusts and Academy’s’ , let’s just say, that many would appear reasonably high in the BBC listings.

But I’m guessing that as they are “Teachers” and not “Politicians at the trough” or “talentless” Tv personalities then that’s ok?

I'm getting the impression people just don't like the BBC, but are clutching at straws complaining about salaries.

I am no fan of the BBC, I dislike intensely many things it does, and its bias is legendary these days, so complain about something sensible, not the salaries it pays, they are simply not excessive in the sector and as low as they dare pay to hang on to some talent to get a few viewers!

I think that will do for me and this topic.

ATB!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

43 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I'm getting the impression people just don't like the BBC, but are clutching at straws complaining about salaries.

I am no fan of the BBC, I dislike intensely many things it does, and its bias is legendary these days, so complain about something sensible, not the salaries it pays, they are simply not excessive in the sector and as low as they dare pay to hang on to some talent to get a few viewers!

I think that will do for me and this topic.

ATB!

:good:

Isn't the whole point, it is not the BBC that pay these salaries......its us the public! This being the case, why do we, the public not have a say in how our money is spent? In fact we don't even have a say in how much money (cost of " license") we contribute!

On 02/07/2019 at 18:43, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I am absolutely amazed at what the BBC will pay its "Stars" and so soon after the Free TV Licence for over 75s debacle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48839428

Haven't read it but know they do it because they can. Biased, greedy bunch sponsored as an organ of the state with a captive audience of payers. The whole lot needs putting to the market.

Edited by old man

36 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Isn't the whole point, it is not the BBC that pay these salaries......its us the public! This being the case, why do we, the public not have a say in how our money is spent? In fact we don't even have a say in how much money (cost of " license") we contribute!

You buy the License to receive the service that we do- your not buying shares in a PLC with voting rights.

If you don’t like the Service that it provides, then simple answer- don’t watch and don’t purchase a licence. 

Just a thought, I pay my Council Tax and other taxes that contribute to the Police Service, I’m not s fan of Vauxhall cars so I’m going to complain directly to them that as a Public Provider they must consult me on these purchases for prior approval  

Edited by Jaymo

1 minute ago, Jaymo said:

You buy the License to receive the service that we do- your not buying shares in a PLC with voting rights.

If you don’t like the Service that it provides, then simple answer- don’t watch and don’t purchase a licence. 

If only you could just say, 'I dont watch BBC so I dont need a licence'

I probably watch Netflix more than anything else, but because my TV is capable of receiving BBC channels I need a licence.

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

If only you could just say, 'I dont watch BBC so I dont need a licence'

I probably watch Netflix more than anything else, but because my TV is capable of receiving BBC channels I need a licence.

Wait for it...... 

20 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Just a thought, I pay my Council Tax and other taxes that contribute to the Police Service, I’m not s fan of Vauxhall cars so I’m going to complain directly to them that as a Public Provider they must consult me on these purchases for prior approval  

No! I buy a licence because I have no choice, with the threat that I will be prosecuted and gain a criminal record, and as a result possibly lose my SGC, if I fail to comply with the rules (which I confess I don't know!) of having a TV without a licence!

And no again! You pay your council tax and pay the money the council demand.....because you have to.....you have no choice! Failure to do so would land you in court, with consequences as above!

21 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

No! I buy a licence because I have no choice, with the threat that I will be prosecuted and gain a criminal record, and as a result possibly lose my SGC, if I fail to comply with the rules (which I confess I don't know!) of having a TV without a licence!

And no again! You pay your council tax and pay the money the council demand.....because you have to.....you have no choice! Failure to do so would land you in court, with consequences as above!

Without the intricacies of which will or wouldn’t produce criminal proceedings, the gist of the thread and opposing comments are, that on one side are a group who believe they should have a say in how their money is spent and the other trying to convey that your happy if its a profession that warms your cockles, but not if it goes against your prejudices.

If you do look it up regarding the licensing requirements and follow it to the letter then as my “wait for it” comment will show, there are those who recently participated in a similar thread who have indeed gone down the withdrawal from licensing route.

Do you who oppose the salaries involved watch the BBC? Would you like them to all be on the same salary regardless of their appeal or ability to draw viewers, because in the real world industry it doesn’t work like that does it, so why should it apply to the beeb?

Im getting Jeremy Corbyn vibes, with the desires that all employees have an equal say in the running of corporations!!!!!!!! 

40 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Waiting ---- OUT!

Patience grasshopper:-)

( I’m waiting for the ‘experts’ from a previous thread to jump on in regarding licensing ) 

No, I just require and expect financial probity and accountability, from a publicly funded organisation, to pay public funded employees the sort of money the BBC have been forced, screaming and struggling to reveal, and to start charging the over 75's where previously there was no charge, to fund it is just wrong!

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

You cannot compare the private market, where anything legal (and sometimes illegal) goes, and profit is king! To the fiscal probity and accountability required from a publicly funded "service".............it's none of my business how private companies go about their business, as long as it's within the law....but it is my business how the BBC operate, and the wages they pay employees......because my money finances it/them!

If the BBC pay such poor wages....why work for them, rather than better paying employers? Why do millions of people choose to work in the public sector rather than for private employers?

Why work for less when you can work for more? 

The only stuff I watch. Stuff on Netflix. Stuff on Amazon. Stuff on TED. Stuff on YouTube. Stuff on Rugby (NowTV pay per View.).

Stuff I don't watch. BBC. C4. ITV. Sky (except if rugby and on Now TV day/month pass). 

Quite rightly, I still need to pay a licence fee 👌

Edited by mick miller

13 hours ago, Jaymo said:

As far as I'm aware, at least in England, the local authority collect council tax for the government, who in turn return a proportion of it to the local authority! In the form of a grant, It's called the standard spending assessment! A percentage of that grant, controlled by the council, goes to the police, fire service etc. If your not happy with what they do, or how they use our money, we (the public) can use our vote at the local elections to change our representation (councilllors) on the council!........

Have we ( the public) got a vote to change anything in the BBC? Again as far as I'm aware the BBC are not accountable to its financiers (us) but only answerable to Ofcom (ineffective government quango) and the BBC trust? Who are the broadcasting equivelent to "the police investigating the police"

10 hours ago, oowee said:

Why work for less when you can work for more? 

Specifically, applicable to the BBC........That's what I asked!!

17 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

My problem is spending £1,750,000 of license payers money on one presenters wages.  It is excessive for what the person does and the responsibility he carries.  Simple as that.

A lot of people think this is far to much to be paid..But i would bet if they were offered the same salary they would not turn it down..

I think it is to much for what they do but i would take it if offered..

2 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

I think it is to much for what they do but i would take it if offered..

I agree - but the BBC management should not be offering the excessive amounts.  There are no doubt others who could do his job, probably just as well, and for a much lower cost to the license payer.  I don't follow Garry Linekar, but cannot imagine he is not replaceable.  The next highest on the list was Chris Evans.  I have not thought he was worth a large pay packet and in my view was one of the less good presenters who did Top Gear, and has been unexceptional on the radio.  Others may disagree.

The one who gest right up my nose is Steve Wright. Arrogant know-all, who actually knows jack-****, especially when it comes to music. Makes me want to vomit.

Lineker is a nice bloke but not worth reported sum.

Norton? Don't get me started but no doubt if I complain about him, the snowflakes will come down on me hard for victimising a member of a minority group.

Chris Evans - donkey. The woman who replaced him on R2 breakfast caused me to leave BBC totally - I don't want to listen to little brats phoning in to tell us how wonderful they are, when the rest of us are wallowing in ****.

Weekends on R2 - the station should be renamed on Sat & Sun as "Gay Radio". Didn't realise R2 was a station for minorities, quite the opposite in fact.

I'd better stop and actually do some work else I could be here all day on this one...…….

17 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I agree - but the BBC management should not be offering the excessive amounts.  There are no doubt others who could do his job, probably just as well, and for a much lower cost to the license payer.  I don't follow Garry Linekar, but cannot imagine he is not replaceable.  The next highest on the list was Chris EvansI have not thought he was worth a large pay packet and in my view was one of the less good presenters who did Top Gear, and has been unexceptional on the radio.  Others may disagree.

His Radio 2 breakfast show was the most listened to radio show in the whole country, like him or not he left for a commercial station for more money and has already increased the listeners there!

8 minutes ago, Dekers said:

His Radio 2 breakfast show was the most listened to radio show in the whole country, like him or not he left for a commercial station for more money and has already increased the listeners there!

Quite. They get the money because enough people think they’re worth it. If someone offered twice the money to do your job, would you turn it down stating “I’m not worth that”. 

Furthermore, if they are all “talentless nobodies” why doesn’t everyone become a presenter.

I think the group that really deserves our ire are pilots. Jumped up bus drivers with one button to take off and another to land. The most difficult thing they do is the bing bongs before the cabin announcements. I couldn’t do those.