How do the BBC Justify these salaries?

TIGHTCHOKE

3 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Quite. They get the money because enough people think they’re worth it. If someone offered twice the money to do your job, would you turn it down stating “I’m not worth that”. 

Furthermore, if they are all “talentless nobodies” why doesn’t everyone become a presenter.

I think the group that really deserves our ire are pilots. Jumped up bus drivers with one button to take off and another to land. The most difficult thing they do is the bing bongs before the cabin announcements. I couldn’t do those.

No. They get the money because of the luvvies in the entertainment industry who are brainwashed into thinking that "Celebrity" is everything, are fooled into thinking that these people are worth it. Get someone in there to manage who doesn't believe that carp and have them appoint people with talent who don't expect to become demi-gods.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Quite. They get the money because enough people think they’re worth it. If someone offered twice the money to do your job, would you turn it down stating “I’m not worth that”. 

Furthermore, if they are all “talentless nobodies” why doesn’t everyone become a presenter.

I think the group that really deserves our ire are pilots. Jumped up bus drivers with one button to take off and another to land. The most difficult thing they do is the bing bongs before the cabin announcements. I couldn’t do those.

Spot on. Pilots are the worst for milking the system. Its all fly by wire these days. Retired Civil Servants that should get far more in return for years of service for the public. 

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

Meow

Wont take it personally 🙂

1 hour ago, WestonSalop said:

No. They get the money because of the luvvies in the entertainment industry who are brainwashed into thinking that "Celebrity" is everything, are fooled into thinking that these people are worth it. Get someone in there to manage who doesn't believe that carp and have them appoint people with talent who don't expect to become demi-gods.

For what it’s worth, I agree with you. I really don’t need a shiny vacuous tart gushing faux enthusiasm to inject excitement into the mundane. Give me 1970s open university lecturers droning on any time.

But that’s not where “we” are. It’s not just within the entertainment industry, much of the general public regards being famous or a celebrity as a legitimate ambition. It’s going to change anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

His Radio 2 breakfast show was the most listened to radio show in the whole country, like him or not he left for a commercial station for more money and has already increased the listeners there!

I wish him well with his larger 'commercial' salary.  Commercial stations have to get listening figures as high as possible - because they depend on advertising revenue, which is attracted by high listening figures.  It looks like his employers can justify his salary if it is driving up their advertising revenue.

The BBC is a different animal.  It does not advertise, and it has a guaranteed fixed revenue stream - which it should spend as cost effectively as possible.  Paying a relatively few people 7 figure salaries doesn't fit well with 'cost effective' spending  because it doesn't boost revenue.

I suspect we are going to have to 'agree to disagree' on this one!

2 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

You make it sound sooooo much more glamorous and technically challenging than it really is.

Pretty girls, fast jets and extortionate wages, Im going to get myself some of that, off to book myself into Bing Bong uni, for a button pressing course 😆:good:

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Pretty girls, fast jets and extortionate wages, Im going to get myself some of that, off to book myself into Bing Bong uni, for a button pressing course 😆:good:

Just make sure you scrub those dirty fingernails before enrolling in the course.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I wish him well with his larger 'commercial' salary.  Commercial stations have to get listening figures as high as possible - because they depend on advertising revenue, which is attracted by high listening figures.  It looks like his employers can justify his salary if it is driving up their advertising revenue.

The BBC is a different animal.  It does not advertise, and it has a guaranteed fixed revenue stream - which it should spend as cost effectively as possible.  Paying a relatively few people 7 figure salaries doesn't fit well with 'cost effective' spending  because it doesn't boost revenue.

I suspect we are going to have to 'agree to disagree' on this one!

The BBC advertises itself and its shows all the time, and at every available opportunity !

The breakfast show regularly interviews someone about something or other, and ends with "and you can see the full programs tonight at 9 on BBC 2".

Hardly ever someone whose eye opening expose is on a commercial channel !

forget the salaries how can the justify the mind numbing reality tv **** , celebrities because they opened a crisp packet by themselves , all the soaps with the same story line/ agenda, don't watch them but was in a friends house had to watch to be polite  and made a comment after and his mrs said its entertainment in it   

• 1 month later...

On 02/07/2019 at 19:06, Blackbriar said:

£1.75 million ! For presenting a football highlights programme ?

And a good few around and above the quarter of a mil mark........for having the depth of talent need to read the news, or play a record ?

And we thought the NI police chief was overpaid !!!!!!!!

(Is there an emoji for "puts head in hands, sighs deeply" ?)

af5ade365c136188a3da5a13baf396a5.jpg

Edited by Snoozer