Boar calibre

Bit of a random one, but what do people feel the minimum calibre should be for boar, as there isn't really a legal calibre for them. 

Only reason I ask is due to a mate putting in for one calibre and getting a call from manager of our firearms dept saying it wasn't big enough. 

Will add what calibre after a few replies. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defra recommend no less than .270, if there were going to be a legal minimum calibre I imagine it would be that and it's perfectly adequate. 

If your mate is applying for .270 or bigger go back to his firearms department with the Defra guidance. 

Edited by ClemFandango

1 hour ago, Big Mat said:

Minimum recommended is .270

I believe Forestry Commission swapped over to. 308 for boar

This is basically what has been said.. He out in 270 and firearms said sue to the size of boar appearing in the County that he should drop it and just go for 308..

I put in for 270 a week later and so far have not heard back so be interesting to see if I get the same call

2 hours ago, Tadorna said:

.270. Driven or highseat?

Wouldn't be driven unless he goes abroad to do so. 

9 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

This is basically what has been said.. He out in 270 and firearms said sue to the size of boar appearing in the County that he should drop it and just go for 308..

I put in for 270 a week later and so far have not heard back so be interesting to see if I get the same call

Wouldn't be driven unless he goes abroad to do so. 

Apart from the principal of the police going against Defra recommendations is that such a problem? They are still going to grant his application just for a different calibre. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with.308, probably marginally cheaper on ammunition. 

If it were me I'd go for the easy life and accept it. He'll have his rifle a lot sooner.

Driven or stalking ? 

If you can choose a precise shot placement then 243 will suffice, but if its driven min 30 cal or bigger. 

Ive used a 30.06 and 150 grain SSTs without any problem if shot placement is in the front 1/4. I did go 9.3 but sold it before i used it, may go for it again if i go Boar shooting later this year. 

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

Apart from the principal of the police going against Defra recommendations is that such a problem? They are still going to grant his application just for a different calibre. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with.308, probably marginally cheaper on ammunition. 

If it were me I'd go for the easy life and accept it. He'll have his rifle a lot sooner.

I'm not saying there is a problem, just interesting on getting peoples thoughts. There is a minimum calibre stated and he applied for that and 308 to be told just get 308. No right or wrong answer here. 

3 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I'm not saying there is a problem, just interesting on getting peoples thoughts. There is a minimum calibre stated and he applied for that and 308 to be told just get 308. No right or wrong answer here. 

I didn't mean to suggest you were, or that there was a right or wrong answer. 

Poorly worded reply on my part. What will your mate do do you think?

375 may come with more restrictions, you need to look at what else can it be used for. 308 cal just about anything and your more likely to get AOLQ on as well. 375 may possibly have Boar only. 

???

All worth thinking about. 

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

375 may come with more restrictions, you need to look at what else can it be used for. 308 cal just about anything and your more likely to get AOLQ on as well. 375 may possibly have Boar only. 

All worth thinking about. 

I did not mean to suggest that .375 be applied for to be used for boar in UK, merely that I have used it to good effect on piggies in Croatia, Turkey and Africa. The point of my post was that .308 works well. Also, must say there is nothing wrong with .270 or 7-08 or 7x57 for boar. No boar will know the difference.

PS I do have  AOLQ on my .375 but have never used it to shoot anything in UK.

Edited by London Best

Ive seen 6.5 swede used on druven Boar, it works, all rork if the shot placement is good. The bigger cal just gives you a margin of error that i think is needed on driven. 

Mind you I've always coped ok with a 30.06, just fancied a bigger one lol. 

On 02/07/2019 at 19:30, ShootingEgg said:

Bit of a random one, but what do people feel the minimum calibre should be for boar, as there isn't really a legal calibre for them. 

Only reason I ask is due to a mate putting in for one calibre and getting a call from manager of our firearms dept saying it wasn't big enough. 

Will add what calibre after a few replies. 

What did he put in for? 

Avon told me 270 min.