Boar calibre

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot so many pigs I have lost count. The majority where some rough and tumble ferals out in Texas.  I have also shot a number in Poland and Slovenia and my choice of calibre would be my o/u 8x57JRS for driven or my 375JDJ (444 necked down to 375) for high seat work. The largest in Slovenia earned me a silver medal and I thought it was screwed to the ground. The largest in Texas took three of us to get it on the front carrier on the Jeep. I shot both of these with the 375JDJ.  My view is , if in doubt pick one a bit bigger, the big animals take some persuading they are dead.  The 8x57 is a pussy cat to shoot, hence it is perfect for driven shooting and second shots.  The 375JDJ will bite you if not held correctly, particularly in my T/C Encore with a 16 1/2 inch barrel.   NOW having said all of that I have seen dozens of pigs killed in Texas with all sorts of calibres, 243Win , 257Roberts, 7x57, 308Win 6.5 x55, even the diminutive 7-30 Waters, but the bullet was put in the right place.  

27 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Shot so many pigs I have lost count. The majority where some rough and tumble ferals out in Texas.  I have also shot a number in Poland and Slovenia and my choice of calibre would be my o/u 8x57JRS for driven or my 375JDJ (444 necked down to 375) for high seat work. The largest in Slovenia earned me a silver medal and I thought it was screwed to the ground. The largest in Texas took three of us to get it on the front carrier on the Jeep. I shot both of these with the 375JDJ.  My view is , if in doubt pick one a bit bigger, the big animals take some persuading they are dead.  The 8x57 is a pussy cat to shoot, hence it is perfect for driven shooting and second shots.  The 375JDJ will bite you if not held correctly, particularly in my T/C Encore with a 16 1/2 inch barrel.   NOW having said all of that I have seen dozens of pigs killed in Texas with all sorts of calibres, 243Win , 257Roberts, 7x57, 308Win 6.5 x55, even the diminutive 7-30 Waters, but the bullet was put in the right place.  

you are needed in the forest of dean , there 2000 need sorting according to the paper iv'e just read , they call it the boar war down there , 477 were shot in 2017 , tip of the iceberg, you cannot even walk your dog.

2 hours ago, kenholland said:

you are needed in the forest of dean , there 2000 need sorting according to the paper iv'e just read , they call it the boar war down there , 477 were shot in 2017 , tip of the iceberg, you cannot even walk your dog.

Yes, I heard the same.  Once establihed they are very difficult to eradicate ...ask any Texan rancher.   Eight or ten in a litter and they are superb mothers.   Of course another big problem lurking in the wings are diseases. 

2 hours ago, kenholland said:

They just advertised two jobs there for people to cull them. 

On 04/07/2019 at 22:53, ClemFandango said:

They just advertised two jobs there for people to cull them. 

I cant understand this, they want more culled but charge the earth for the likes of us to shoot them. 

Well I do understand really, 

Money money money money. 

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

I cant understand this, they want more culled but charge the earth for the likes of us to shoot them. 

Well I do understand really, 

Money money money money. 

The FC don't sell any shooting in the FOD. The price for their stalking leases is set by the bidder. 

FOD owned  & managed by the FC have a problem with the amount of wild boar, so reduced the cost to suitably qualified guns to solve the problem. 

The bigger problem is that they won't allow simple solutions, because they can't see that simple uncomplicated ideas actually solve the problem. Instead they let the problem increase. 

I have seen 12 bore with slugs used on driven boar but never done it myself. The smaller animals rolled like shot rabbits but somehow I got the impression (right or wrong) that the really huge boar were better shot with a rifle. I would still be happy to take a 12 bore.

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

FOD owned  & managed by the FC have a problem with the amount of wild boar, so reduced the cost to suitably qualified guns to solve the problem. 

The bigger problem is that they won't allow simple solutions, because they can't see that simple uncomplicated ideas actually solve the problem. Instead they let the problem increase. 

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. 

What do you mean reduce the cost? They don't allow people to shoot. They can't reduce the cost of something they aren't selling. 

Are you suggesting they should start charging people to shoot boar in the Forest of Dean and that would reduce the numbers better than hiring their own staff to cull them full time? They have taken on four new full time cullers in the last six months. 

How is having people pay to shoot them more simple than hiring someone to do it? With all the management involved of stalking clients. In my previous job we used to take paying clients and I can assure you that there are some really skilled people out there who are more than capable of actually effectively culling animals. But I would guess they are less than five percent of the shooting public. The rest aren't worth anything in terms of getting an actual job done. And that was on privately owned land. Can you imagine organising and managing a scheme where you let paying clients shoot wild boar in a public forest? From my experience. That is a nightmare! 

Also the private land all around the FOD is heavily shot and that isn't reducing the population obviously so that isn't really working is it? 

For me. If I wanted to kill large numbers of pigs I would be trapping them as they do in Australia and the States and I am aware that it has happened in Scotland too. Although I doubt somewhere as public as the FOD with all the anti's involved trapping would work. 

Also at least hiring a person to do it supports someone's family. Where would the money go if the FC charged shooters to cull boar?

13 hours ago, Zapp said:

I've only been out on boar once on a driven trip on the continent.  I borrowed a 7x64 Brenneke and it most certainly put them down.

Seriously good cartridge.

10 hours ago, bornfree said:

Does anyone use a 12g shotgun with slugs on boar. I would have thought it a much better tool on driven ?

Used to be the only gun allowed in Morroco . I looked at a trip back in the 80s but went Polish instead.  I'm not certain but I think Corsica has a shotgun rule as well, they most certainly use them in the main.

8 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. 

What do you mean reduce the cost? They don't allow people to shoot. They can't reduce the cost of something they aren't selling. 

Are you suggesting they should start charging people to shoot boar in the Forest of Dean and that would reduce the numbers better than hiring their own staff to cull them full time? They have taken on four new full time cullers in the last six months. 

How is having people pay to shoot them more simple than hiring someone to do it? With all the management involved of stalking clients. In my previous job we used to take paying clients and I can assure you that there are some really skilled people out there who are more than capable of actually effectively culling animals. But I would guess they are less than five percent of the shooting public. The rest aren't worth anything in terms of getting an actual job done. And that was on privately owned land. Can you imagine organising and managing a scheme where you let paying clients shoot wild boar in a public forest? From my experience. That is a nightmare! 

Also the private land all around the FOD is heavily shot and that isn't reducing the population obviously so that isn't really working is it? 

For me. If I wanted to kill large numbers of pigs I would be trapping them as they do in Australia and the States and I am aware that it has happened in Scotland too. Although I doubt somewhere as public as the FOD with all the anti's involved trapping would work. 

Also at least hiring a person to do it supports someone's family. Where would the money go if the FC charged shooters to cull boar?

A lot of sense there, but the FC have had a reputation of not doing the job before it got out of hand and then going in mob handed.  My small knowledge of the hog problem in the States, mainly Texas, tells me that they are on the losing side and we are all going to see wild boar appearing in places we never thought.  I am old enough to have seen roe deer spread from the southern counties up through Oxfordshire into Northamtonshire and Warwickshire and they are a lot easier to cull than hogs and only have a couple of youngsters each year but hogs can rear two litters of 6 to eight annually, near enough.  Yep some of you youngsters will have them on your doorstep within your lifetime, if they haven't concreted the country over before then.

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

A lot of sense there, but the FC have had a reputation of not doing the job before it got out of hand and then going in mob handed.  My small knowledge of the hog problem in the States, mainly Texas, tells me that they are on the losing side and we are all going to see wild boar appearing in places we never thought.  I am old enough to have seen roe deer spread from the southern counties up through Oxfordshire into Northamtonshire and Warwickshire and they are a lot easier to cull than hogs and only have a couple of youngsters each year but hogs can rear two litters of 6 to eight annually, near enough.  Yep some of you youngsters will have them on your doorstep within your lifetime, if they haven't concreted the country over before then.

A lot of sense there too and I don't doubt you are right about the spread of boar.

I wonder if the increased culling pressure in the Dean will reduce the population there by killing them or actually it will just disperse them? 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Never tried wild boar, what’s it taste like?...Pork?

We had some for dinner tonight. Similar to pork, less fatty, even more so if you take the skin off when preparing the animal. Slightly gamy, but nothing that would put off even the most picky of eaters. We treat it pretty much like pork, but it goes well in casseroles and pulled pork.

Edited by Houseplant