Car air con re-gas. 2 years old?

markm

Got a 17 plate x trail and the air-con isn’t running cold when it’s 20 + outside  

Contacted  the dealer and ‘apparently’  an air-con re-gas is needed and is classed as a consumable. A quick call around and this seems to be the case and a re-charge is recommended every 2 years.....gggrrrr

Anyway as the car is 2017, the gas is the new ‘girly green’ one (which doesn’t last as long) and the Nissan dealer would need me to take out a Mortgage to recharge. A lot of places don’t do it, but a Halfords garage close by does and are a damn sight cheaper. 

Anyone heard of such a thing?  Should it really only last 2 years. Anyone used Halfords? 

(No I can’t use the groupon deal as it’s not the 134a gas)

My Volvo is now 13 and still blows cold not icy cold but after five mins it's comfy after ten you turn it down. So did the old RAV4 and jimny.  Some cars last decades others don't. 

You can buy the tins and regass it yourself.

Halfords....look online to,see if you qualify for a "trade discount card" available to builders, sparks, plumbers and a variety of Trades

id never heard of it until,someone posted on another forum I frequent

it may just give you a discount on the gassing

a mate of mine is a Vet....he got the card as he "maintains his own vehicles for the surgery m'lud"

On 02/07/2019 at 20:01, markm said:

Got a 17 plate x trail and the air-con isn’t running cold when it’s 20 + outside  

Contacted  the dealer and ‘apparently’  an air-con re-gas is needed and is classed as a consumable. A quick call around and this seems to be the case and a re-charge is recommended every 2 years.....gggrrrr

Anyway as the car is 2017, the gas is the new ‘girly green’ one (which doesn’t last as long) and the Nissan dealer would need me to take out a Mortgage to recharge. A lot of places don’t do it, but a Halfords garage close by does and are a damn sight cheaper. 

Anyone heard of such a thing?  Should it really only last 2 years. Anyone used Halfords? 

(No I can’t use the groupon deal as it’s not the 134a gas)

Hi Gustaff, 

im an hvac engineer and work alongside ac engineers in a daily basis, any one handling these gasses must have fgas qualification so if Halfords are offering the service they must be qualified and therefore I can’t see any reason why they would not be a safe bet, obviously there are unscrupulous people out there doing the do without the necessary qualifications but I’d say Halfords is a safe bet 👍🏻

23 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Hi Gustaff, 

im an hvac engineer and work alongside ac engineers in a daily basis, any one handling these gasses must have fgas qualification so if Halfords are offering the service they must be qualified and therefore I can’t see any reason why they would not be a safe bet, obviously there are unscrupulous people out there doing the do without the necessary qualifications but I’d say Halfords is a safe bet 👍🏻

not dicrediting them but new gas trade price for 5kg 350 plus vat so 45 for new gas recharge is not financialy feesable

Depends what gas it is, I know industry wide changes have been made in my sector where the old type of gas 410a is being phased out for a new gas so the price of gas has gone through the roof.  When it comes to cars I’m not sure why gas is used.....merely stating that they will have the correct training and accreditation’s to do the job, 

but in a money perspective I’ll give my 2p :- you’re not paying for gas......your paying for gas time labour tools etc. £45 is reasonable in my opinion. 

What does a slab of cartridges cost you? Bet you shoot more that one slab every two years and gain nothing enjoyment some empty plastic and maybe a few for the pot. It’s all perspective.....I’d rather pay £45 and not have to sit in the car with sweaty small and danglies 👍🏻 But each to their own. 

Just shows how good the older refrigerant was.

Reading up new cars need it checking and topping up every two years.

Halfords worked out the best deal last year for two tyres fitted. Got a lot more competitive and very good service.

2 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Depends what gas it is, I know industry wide changes have been made in my sector where the old type of gas 410a is being phased out for a new gas so the price of gas has gone through the roof.  When it comes to cars I’m not sure why gas is used.....merely stating that they will have the correct training and accreditation’s to do the job, 

but in a money perspective I’ll give my 2p :- you’re not paying for gas......your paying for gas time labour tools etc. £45 is reasonable in my opinion. 

What does a slab of cartridges cost you? Bet you shoot more that one slab every two years and gain nothing enjoyment some empty plastic and maybe a few for the pot. It’s all perspective.....I’d rather pay £45 and not have to sit in the car with sweaty small and danglies 👍🏻 But each to their own. 

£45?    x10.......

In total Nissan wanted (diagnostic and recharge). 

If its  proven to be a manufacturing fault, it’s free........

A guy I work with has a 02 plate Volvo, still cold as ice and he’s had it since new. Never had a recharge. 

15 hours ago, markm said:

A guy I work with has a 02 plate Volvo, still cold as ice and he’s had it since new. Never had a recharge. 

My V70 D5 is the same and I can vouch for it, had it from new. Went up to Scotland Wednesday morning and back this morning 470 mile round trip, as cool as a cucumber.

...tongue deeply in cheek.... I have no problems in my Landie, just push the two levers down and cool air flows.   Joking apart , I did have a Range Rover CSK (foolishly sold it) that required a regas BUT my trusted engineer told me it would involve completely new piping throughout as the new gas would destroy the old pipe.  AS said, I have had this guy looking after my vehicles for 20yrs and trust him implicitly.  I never did re gas it.  My present 'best car' is a 2008 X type Jag estate  V6 AWD and the air conditioning still works fine.

I have a 2007 BMW 3 series and it is fine - never been re-gassed.  On the other hand, my (little used) Mercedes SLK from 2005 needs re-gassing every 3rd or 4th year.  I had 3 Hondas before that - and one (old style Accord Areodeck) required re-gassing at about 10 years old.  The other two (Civics) I didn't keep that long.