Unusual activty

Mr gen

A friend of mine asked me today why any one would be lamping trees? She said some members of the traveling community have been out 3 or 4 times over the last week, after midnight, parking their vans in a rough set a side field and lamping the tree tops. The trees were described as being about thirty or forty foot high but she didn't know what species and that these guys were spending quite a lot of time out there. I put it to her that it might appear they are lamping the trees but it might be that they are lamping the field for rabbits but she told me the grass is 3 feet high as it is never cut and that they are defiantly doing the trees as her neighbours have seen it also. I couldn't come up with an answer for this as these traveling fellows  normally do things for financial gain or their idea of sport but cant think of anything they could be after. Any ideas?    

Edited by Mr gen

Pigeons. Pheasants. Even smaller song birds like blackbirds or finches maybe. Anything edible or saleable, unless it's what's growing on the trees. One would need to cautiously approach said individuals and ask them, though perhaps not at night whilst in the act. Some travelers recently were out illegally hare coursing near us and the dogs attacked two pet alpaca, one nearly died and had to have an eye removed and stitches in its face. The lady owner was very distressed and upset.

I have thought it might be some kind of game that they are after but where is the monetary value in it? And I doubt that they would be taking them for the table. The idea of catching song birds for sale seems a bit more plausible but why come at night to catch them? Unless they are using some old fashioned way like liming the lower branches and removing them after dark. No one has heard shots and I doubt my work mate or her neighbours would challenge them but if this carries on a call to 101 would be in order.