LOADING YOUR OWN/ LEE LOAD ALL 11/ SHOT/POWDER/ ETC WHERE TO BUY ?

hello, i know PW members have a wealth of experience on home loading and i just thought would like to have a go, my usual cartridge is 28 g 7.5 shot most bin ends from just carts, so i would think go 28/6 shot, or 30/6 or 7.5s . whats the general powders/ primers/ shot and advice on the  LEE LOAD ALL 11 or is there another make recommended  and where is the best place to buy from, cheers   

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Generally the American powders  like RED DOT are more easily available locally although dearer and the LEE data is more geared to it. Shot and wads are easy they can be posted. What I would do if I were you would be to contact Reloading Solutions  near you. They will have powder, might have primers but can probably point you in the right direction. They don't really do shotgun reloading stuff so advice is limited 

Clay and Game is the top supplier in this country and they give out a lot of data.

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

I no longer bother to load standard load lead cartridges, unless you have access to cheap components, it costs more to reload than to buy!

That's been true for a long time, unless you want to do it for fun/satisfaction don't bother. But it does add a bit to the enjoyment

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

That's been true for a long time, unless you want to do it for fun/satisfaction don't bother. But it does add a bit to the enjoyment

hello, thanks to reply, yes it was just to do in my lot/lots of spare time, maybe i could find a second hand set up going cheap !!! 

Guest cookoff013

just for simplification, find a recipe and just go load. buy the exact components.

john at FES has been a great help and a friend for many years. shame he`s not closer.

for one the simplest wouldd be to get some red dot and load up some 32g loads to about 1200fps  (dont be too concerned by that speed) find some data .

i would say avoid 2nd hand, as often bits are missing. a lee unit should be £50 or 60?

european style powders are like american, maybe slightly cleaner,  with more data.

if you are shooting pigeons, maybe just make a nice fibre 32 #6 #5 at 1200fps, 

the key here is, when you select your recipe to reload, check the manufacturer that the powder isnt being used incorrectly. there is alot of data floating about. some good. some not so.

12 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

just for simplification, find a recipe and just go load. buy the exact components.

john at FES has been a great help and a friend for many years. shame he`s not closer.

for one the simplest wouldd be to get some red dot and load up some 32g loads to about 1200fps  (dont be too concerned by that speed) find some data .

i would say avoid 2nd hand, as often bits are missing. a lee unit should be £50 or 60?

european style powders are like american, maybe slightly cleaner,  with more data.

if you are shooting pigeons, maybe just make a nice fibre 32 #6 #5 at 1200fps, 

the key here is, when you select your recipe to reload, check the manufacturer that the powder isnt being used incorrectly. there is alot of data floating about. some good. some not so.

hello, thanks for that

1 hour ago, cookoff013 said:

we are talking 12gauge here?

right?

i sent you a link on your wall, thing. straight to alliant powder.

hello, yes, i use pretty much 28g 7.5s and see it costs around the same price to load a 1000  as i can get bin ends at JCs, so it will be more a hobby than saving money, i have not worked out 28g 6 shot yet, cheers 

Guest cookoff013

same price.

cook. 

you might want to do a price breakdown for your shells with the powder / charges. the point being 32g #6 might be as cheap to shoot as 28g loads as the very expensive powder charge may "just slightly" higher and negate the extra 4kg of lead shot per 1000 shells (thats 28kg vs 32kg per 1000 shells (28gram a shot vs 32g a shot))

sounds silly but an extra penny might make 32g loads viable. especially at 1200fps (thats american standards)

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/07/2019 at 11:06, cookoff013 said:

same price.

cook. 

you might want to do a price breakdown for your shells with the powder / charges. the point being 32g #6 might be as cheap to shoot as 28g loads as the very expensive powder charge may "just slightly" higher and negate the extra 4kg of lead shot per 1000 shells (thats 28kg vs 32kg per 1000 shells (28gram a shot vs 32g a shot))

sounds silly but an extra penny might make 32g loads viable. especially at 1200fps (thats american standards)

Thank you Cookoff013

Personally I reload mainly 34g, 28, and sometimes 24g with AS, A1 and Lonsghot powder with 38g, as I said above I see that in your reloading forum people are not interested in reloading. Given the reputation of English shooters for high-flying shooting I thought I would find in this forum the opportunity to discuss their reloading, having advice at first sight is not the case. Regrettably.... (I don't know if this word is appropriate)

If you had some advice, recipes it is with pleasure that I will be glad to take it with great joy

Cordially albert

merce.png