Night Fox Spotter

Walker570

A few weeks ago a friend showed me one he had purchased and said he was very pleased with it for the price.  I gave it ome thought and then a friend offered to buy my BOBLOV spotter.  That unit was great but tended to make my eye go a bit funny if used for long periods at a time.  Anyway short story is I ordered one through Amazon and within 36hours it was in my hands.  I will not go through all of the tech details other than to say the operation is far simpler and easy than the BOBLOV with just three press button switches easily found in the dark for zoom up to x2 power more than adequate for spotting, the IR button to switch the IR on and increase its strength  1-7 power and a simple press and hold button in the top centre which switches on and off. The BOBLOV was not easy to do this and when you spot something you need to quickly switch off and pick up your rifle with no flashing of lights.  Anyway loaded it with 8 AA batteries and went out foxing for an evening.  Firstly with the end cap on the lens it is excellent in that half light up to dark.  At dark remove the cap and without the IR it still performed well out to 100-150 yrds and then very simple to click the IR button and pull the strength up to on the highest 7 it easily lit up the woodside and hedge 250yrds away, more than enough for my needs.  Unfortunately a fox didn't show but I could easily identify a hare out at 200yrds along with one or two rabbits.  The screen is clear and crisp and easily adjusted with an adjuster at the front just where your figers can reach easily.  There is a mount underneath where you could put it on  bypod but I have used this to add an additional IR torch because the only comments on reviews was that batteries don't run for long alhough 6hrs says so in the book.  You do not have to use the IR as it doesn't come on automatically, so I was thinking a separate torch would easily add the illumination but also save battery power and the rechargeable in the torch is much easier to change should that run out.  All in all to date I can only say for £110 it does an excellent job and hangs around the neck like a pair of binos on the strap provided.  Will be trying it on rabbits in the next week.

One plus is, if two of you are sat up, it is not too difficult for both of you to se the image. You don't have to have the unit clamped close to your eyes.  The other advantage is you can use it still wearing glasses which you could not do succesfully with the BOBLOV.

For those of us not in the high tax bracket this unti looks like very good value for our pennies.

Sounds great - there's a lot to be said for spotter lamping, its my current default unless I'm after lampshy quarry. Though I do it from the very quiet petrol X-trail with a mag mounted spotter on the roof and monitor inside the car. Your aluminium roof wouldn't lend itself to that - and the noisy monster wouldn't get close to anything anyway. :w00t:

I too can't get on with near eye viewer devices, seems the light emitted from their screens is an eye irritant when up that close, I personally think its a warning that something nasty is happening that we don't know about yet.  

Edited by Dave-G

• 4 weeks later...

Hi walker, was thinking about this the other day, seeing as I first read about the boblov through your posts. Could you post a link to the amazon one please (pm if not allowed on here). Searched your post heading and loads came up, but don't want to order the wrong one.

I've made a drastic mistake of lamping the field using the yukon on the fx as I don't have a spotter. Thought I'd get away with it for a bit, but it's too bloody heavy and stupid if I was honest. 

Matt

Pull up Night Fox on google. Amazon offer them and that is where I got mine. There are two models and chose the cheaper (£110) as I don't need all singing dancing pictures.

I added a Hawke IR on the fitting underneath, just adapted a Picatinny rail. I added the IR because using that saves the batteries in the unit and easier to carry a spare for the torch than change eight in the unit.  Works a treat.  I can clearly identify a rabbit out at 200 and anything bigger out to 250 easily.  Get eight rechargeable AAs for the unit.  All of my batteries are now rechargeable anyway.  The unit is brilliant in that last evening gloom when everyhting seems to blend in....turns it into daylight.

pm me if you need further info.  For the price I can't fault it.  Resulted in a dead fox last night and three others previous nights.

002.JPG

Edited by Walker570

I wear glasses and yes the unit works fine, but to be honest i never put my face right up close. A couple of inches back and the picture is still clear as day.  As said you can have two people looking in from a couple of feet and still see the picture.  The main thing was how noticeable eye strain was eliminated.   The unit is much easier than the BOBLOV to switch on and off as well.

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

If you wear glasses (and dont want to remove them to spot) , these are the ones to get.

1 minute ago, scouser said:

Looking at getting a boblov until I read this, it seems a lot better & easier to use , only question ? How did you mount the IR below the unit .

Bolt a piccattiny rail to the tripod mount under the unit, then just the usual clamp for the torch onto it, Custom rifle scopes sell them, or ebay.

Well pleased 

Could clearly make out individual leaves at 50 odd yards 

Those trees were at about 80

Hedge behind was about 100. Not very clear there but holding a camera phone that does not want to focus right and focus the unit and hold steady... All with the built in ir. 

I think it's a bargain and a excellent unit thanks walker for the heads up 👍

IMG-20190801-WA0017.jpeg