Anyone trying prebiotic fibre?

Dave-G

A quick background explanation to set the scene: I spent well over 30 years as a night shift cabbie and my body clock seems to be finding it very difficult to normalise.

-----------------------------

I was watching a program last night about ways of trying to improve one's sleep pattern. One process being researched and subsequently put forwards was having a drink with prebiotic fibre added to it which in brief, implied the gut partially influences a small part of the brain that 'sorts out the natural body clock to roughly coincide with daylight hours'

Bear in mind I'm slightly dyslexic so might not have grasped it all correctly but does anyone have any experience that supports this  - or is it likely to be horse twaddle?

Dave.  Was that the programme the guy was talking about his father and etc having type 2 diabetes and how you can help this if you get your sleep pattern on a good routine.  He was scared he was lining himself up for type 2 by not getting a good nights sleep?

I'm type 2 and was interested in the theory but gave up as It was way too late for me.  If the same programme? I didn't see that part you speak of.

Pushkin:good:

14 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Dave.  Was that the programme the guy was talking about his father and etc having type 2 diabetes and how you can help this if you get your sleep pattern on a good routine.  He was scared he was lining himself up for type 2 by not getting a good nights sleep?

I'm type 2 and was interested in the theory but gave up as It was way too late for me.  If the same programme? I didn't see that part you speak of.

Pushkin:good:

Yup that sounds like the one, I missed the first part and only happened on it when channel flicking  - I'm type 2 diabetic too but memory fade and slight dyslexia gets in the way of saying what I ought to say lol

Edited by Dave-G

You can't solve problems of the alimentary system with the simple addition of a dietary sinecure such as prebiotics. We owe it to ourselves, our loved ones and the hard pressed NHS to do the best we can to keep in shape and stay as free as possible from the avoidable adverse health conditions such as heart disease, type 2 and some cancers.

These things need an overhaul of one's lifestyle choices particularly those related to diet, weight and exercise. With very, very few exceptions, well nourished people who eat few 'bad' or 'empty foods' (and we all know what those are), who maintain a healthy weight and get a reasonable level of exercise, not only don't succumb to type 2 and heart disease, but increasing numbers of people are finding that's the way to reverse type 2 and some heart related issues.

Edited by Westward
typos

3 hours ago, Westward said:

You can't solve problems of the alimentary system with the simple addition of a dietary sinecure such as prebiotics. We owe it to ourselves, our loved ones and the hard pressed NHS to do the best we can to keep in shape and stay as free as possible from the avoidable adverse health conditions such as heart disease, type 2 and some cancers.

These things need an overhaul of one's lifestyle choices particularly those related to diet, weight and exercise. With very, very few exceptions, well nourished people who eat few 'bad' or 'empty foods' (and we all know what those are), who maintain a healthy weight and get a reasonable level of exercise, not only don't succumb to type 2 and heart disease, but increasing numbers of people are finding that's the way to reverse type 2 and some heart related issues.

Recently started doing something about my (apparently borderline) type 2, currently only eating between 6PM and midnight with 18 hours on water alone to try to lose a bit of belly fat.  Blood sugars are almost always now below 7... just checked it at 5.9 on the wossit called thing.

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Recently started doing something about my (apparently borderline) type 2, currently only eating between 6PM and midnight with 18 hours on water alone to try to lose a bit of belly fat.  Blood sugars are almost always now below 7... just checked it at 5.9 on the wossit called thing.

Happy to hear you're motivated to get fit and healthy. What got me thinking was watching my father spend his last 3½ years in a miserable zombie like state before dying at only 70. The result of a poor lifestyle.

There's no trick to it and those stupid fad diets certainly aren't any kind of an answer. What it takes is a permanent change of mindset to reset lifelong habits and shed some weight permanently with a better eating regime and proper exercise. The really unhealthy fat is called visceral fat and you can't see it because it's sitting around your vital internal organs and you won't shift it with a trendy 6 week weight loss diet.