Occasional limp

getthegat

My two and a half year old Pointer Labrador cross gets a front leg limp occasionally. The frequency has lessened as she has got older, but it still worries me some what. She's been to the vets numerous times, been given Metacam each time and the limp has disappeared after a few hours or a day. One vet took x-rays, which showed a small anomaly on one shoulder bone, but was deemed not large enough to be of concern. The last time we visited the vets, a month or so ago, with said limp, he said it is probably a growing issue that will stop eventually. She loves playing frizzby and ball games and will leap with all four feet off the ground, quite high into the air to catch toys and this is mainly when the limp starts. Obviously stopping playing these games is the answer, but other dogs leap and bound without injury, so should I be worried for her, especially in later years, what with the notorious Labby joint weaknesses?

My two labs have experienced the issues that you describe. For some reason they get the occasional limp in their front legs. No apparent pain or discomfort just a limp. Checked out by the vet, no physical issues. However he recommended hydro therapy. A few sessions of this cured the problem, I was very sceptical at first but it really worked. 

Ok. Cool. Many thanks. She has You move every morning, but now at "that" age, with kids grown and gone and no sign of grand kids, she is our child, so to speak, so we want to do as much as we can for her and give her a good quality of life. We are strict with her meal sizes and she has no human food; she's trim. Cheers again.

1 hour ago, yates said:

My two labs have experienced the issues that you describe. For some reason they get the occasional limp in their front legs. No apparent pain or discomfort just a limp. Checked out by the vet, no physical issues. However he recommended hydro therapy. A few sessions of this cured the problem, I was very sceptical at first but it really worked. 

Really! That's very interesting and amazing. Will definitely look into it. Years ago I had tennis elbow, had acupuncture and it's never come back. Possibly similar sort of thing.

Turmeric is indeed good for joint issues. Two hints though 1. Make sure the variety you buy is meant as a health supplement which includes pepper (don't know why but the regular stuff we throw into curries isn't as potent). 2. It'll come in capsule form - break open the capsules and put the turmeric over food. I put it on my Weetabix & fruit breakfast. 

Watch out when buying CBD - there are dozens of them out there and not all of them are up to the job. Still haven't found one that actually does anything. If you have, let me know please.

57 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

Turmeric is indeed good for joint issues. Two hints though 1. Make sure the variety you buy is meant as a health supplement which includes pepper (don't know why but the regular stuff we throw into curries isn't as potent). 2. It'll come in capsule form - break open the capsules and put the turmeric over food. I put it on my Weetabix & fruit breakfast. 

Watch out when buying CBD - there are dozens of them out there and not all of them are up to the job. Still haven't found one that actually does anything. If you have, let me know please.

I’ll pm you 

1 hour ago, WestonSalop said:

Turmeric is indeed good for joint issues. Two hints though 1. Make sure the variety you buy is meant as a health supplement which includes pepper (don't know why)

Turmeric can't be absorbed, adding black pepper aids absorption.