spare of moment marinade

Walker570

Had some friends in for a barbie and was pushed to think what to do. I had 5 brace of partridge in the freezer and decided to take the breasts and slice them in half lengthways and then marinade for 48hrs.  BUT what to use as a marinade?  Well a heavy sprinkle of Tony Chattery's Cajun spices to start(pleased to say you can get it over here), then a cupfull of rape oil, then some white wine vinegar and a goodly splash of HP Barbecue sauce (if you haven't tried it do), then a goodly sprinkle of celery salt all mixed up and dropped the slices in there plus a dozen 1/2 inch steaks cut across a fallow buck fawn loin/backstrap. In the fridge on Friday evening and forgotten until 4pm on Sunday afternoon. Gave it a good stir round and it smelt awesome.  Had two sheets of that copper barbie covering on the grill and having given the fallow steaks a pounding with the meat mallet, tipped the lot on the barbecue.  Those sheets are brilliant and I was able to turn and slide the pieces around until nicely browned on all sides.  Two bottles of Pearsecco made from our own pears (12.5%) had been supped whilst this cooked and eventually I flipped it out onto plates and waited for the response.   The first was from a young lady friend of ours who said, this partridge is awesome, just falls apart, have you marinated it ?  All I can say is the plates need little washing.

If in doubt then make your own up and don't be afraid to be bold. Nothing in this marinade was measured, I just shook or poured to a point I thought might work.

Pull up those copper sheets on the web along with Tony Chattery's cajun mix, both well worth investing in.

That sound right up ditchmans street Walker , and I dare say that young pigeon breasts would be just as nice as Partridge breasts , you done well to still have Partridges in late Summer , nothing wrong with it but I cant seem to fancy game at this time of the year , unless I got an invite from the man above on one of his barbies, then I could easily be persuaded to change my mind 😋

15 hours ago, marsh man said:

That sound right up ditchmans street Walker , and I dare say that young pigeon breasts would be just as nice as Partridge breasts , you done well to still have Partridges in late Summer , nothing wrong with it but I cant seem to fancy game at this time of the year , unless I got an invite from the man above on one of his barbies, then I could easily be persuaded to change my mind 😋

I have about 15 packs of partridge breast crowns in the freezer but these where all in the feather and neded using up first. All go eating meat any time of the year. I get the crowns from Catton estate oven ready  4 pack for £3 plus what I get on driven days.   Yes you are correct, no doubt pigeon breast would work just as well.  In fact I intend breasting out any of the 'birds' I shoot in this next year and slice them and pack them in ideal quanities and may actually marinade them before putting them through the vaccuum packer as that may just draw themarinade into the flesh.  Just defrost and straight onto the barbecue OR into the hot skillet.

Update on that copper barbie sheet. A photo of it on my barbecue.  I put the other photo on just to wind up Ditchie ... no , your not having that head.

The other big hotplate came about because we always had a problem keeping vegetables and stuff warm.  I had that big piece of steel plate and welded on some legs just high enough so I could push my gas ring underneath.  Difficulty in finding a sheet of suitable protective tin to go on the table I straightened out a Castrol drum but need to spray it with heat proof now and make it look pukka.  It works a treat and keeps everyhting warm so friends can go up and help themselves to seconds and the food is still warm.

Just two copper sheets fit my barbie and I bent a piece of flat bar to fit around the sides and back because food slides about on it and would fall into the coals as you moved it around.

I think Amazon had them up for about £4 for three sheets. 

OH the big upright fridge on the right I got for a fiver on e bay about five years or go and it is spot on.  I have it converted so I can put a cross bar in the top and hang a couple of munties in it if I have to.

009.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg