Brexit - merged threads

scouser

Interesting view on way forward by Rees Mogg (from BBC website).

What should Theresa May do, if she loses today's vote?

Well, leading Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg has made his suggestions.

The Tory MP says the prime minister should return to Brussels to ask...

"Can we have a simpler deal along the lines you offered about a year ago of a comprehensive free trade deal, based on existing examples of things that the EU has done.

"And for an implementation period and for this deal we will pay you £39 billion.

"The EU gets the money it needs, we get the trade deal we want and an implementation period."

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Interesting view on way forward by Rees Mogg (from BBC website).

What should Theresa May do, if she loses today's vote?

Well, leading Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg has made his suggestions.

The Tory MP says the prime minister should return to Brussels to ask...

"Can we have a simpler deal along the lines you offered about a year ago of a comprehensive free trade deal, based on existing examples of things that the EU has done.

"And for an implementation period and for this deal we will pay you £39 billion.

"The EU gets the money it needs, we get the trade deal we want and an implementation period."

Sounds like a sensible suggestion, the only problem is I don't see the EU offering that, the reason is we have so many remoaners in government intent on not allowing us to leave, the EU will gamble for the big prize of us remaining in their dictator euphoria. 

The damage to this country the treasonous remainiacs on all sides of the house are doing is simply unbelievable! 

18 hours ago, motty said:

And she has the gall to say this  leaving,:lol::lol::lol:,

Don't worry, Oowee will be along in a minute to tell us that it is!

Sorry lads I was busy getting my shooting in. I have to get as many Roe does out to Germany as soon as possible before the door shuts. 

You and I both know it delivers on the referendum. It's those trying to embellish the deal that are putting Brexit at risk and more importantly fueling hope for Corbyn.

Lucky that Government gets to vote on the deal 🙂 Remind me where did the option of a meaningful vote come from?

18 hours ago, pinfireman said:

OccasionallThumbnaily, even Tony Benn got it right................

I once had the privilege of a private dinner with Tony Benn where he very kindly gave me a signed copy of his book 'Dare To Be A Daniel' (which of course i declared). He insisted on recording all his meetings including our dinner but what a fascinating man. The people that he had met through the cold war and his thoughts on government had me riveted from start to finish. Clearly he had missed the point of Brussels. 

Have just heard JRM and a 2nd referendum remainer on the Jeremy Vine R2 show. He calmly, logically, and intelligently countered every point she put across as she tried to reason why we needed a 2nd referendum. Good to listen to. If you know you're going up against JRM you really do need to do your homework and ensure you have your case water tight. 

3 minutes ago, besty57 said:

Most of us miss the point of Brussels, 

I quite like them as long as they're not overcooked. 

Edited by Scully

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

If you know you're going up against JRM you really do need to do your homework and ensure you have your case water tight. 

Oh yes.

Make a great prime minister or home sec, hes wasted on those back benches.
When you compare the intellect of the Mogg against others, it just doesnt seem a fair fight , can you imagine him on question time with the Abbott ? 😂

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

When you compare the intellect of the Mogg against others, it just doesnt seem a fair fight , can you imagine him on question time with the Abbott ? 😂

I think I'd probably pay good money to see that. The downside is that she's so dense she would come away from it thinking she'd won. 

28 minutes ago, oowee said:

Sorry lads I was busy getting my shooting in. I have to get as many Roe does out to Germany as soon as possible before the door shuts. 

You and I both know it delivers on the referendum. It's those trying to embellish the deal that are putting Brexit at risk and more importantly fueling hope for Corbyn.

Lucky that Government gets to vote on the deal 🙂 Remind me where did the option of a meaningful vote come from?

I once had the privilege of a private dinner with Tony Benn where he very kindly gave me a signed copy of his book 'Dare To Be A Daniel' (which of course i declared). He insisted on recording all his meetings including our dinner but what a fascinating man. The people that he had met through the cold war and his thoughts on government had me riveted from start to finish. Clearly he had missed the point of Brussels. 

Ok, please tell me in what way May's deal delivers on the referendum result. What exactly have I missed?

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have just heard JRM and a 2nd referendum remainer on the Jeremy Vine R2 show. He calmly, logically, and intelligently countered every point she put across as she tried to reason why we needed a 2nd referendum. Good to listen to. If you know you're going up against JRM you really do need to do your homework and ensure you have your case water tight. 

I quite like them as long as they're not overcooked. 

Me 2,:yes:

22 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Oh yes.

Make a great prime minister or home sec, hes wasted on those back benches.

No contest,

How would your dog have voted?

1.Your dog would rather be (a) out, (b) in.

2. When receiving expert advice, your dog (a) can still have a mind of its own, (b) will always do what it's told.

3. Your dog has (a) some territorial restrictions for its own good and the good of others, (b) complete freedom of movement and accepts all annoying interlopers.

4. Your dog is (a) curious about the world outside its territory, (b) think that its territory is the safest place to stay.

5. Your dog is (a) confident in its own abilities, (b) needs the support of other dogs.

6. When commanded 'leave', your dog (a) knows what leave means and does it, (b) ignores it and at best half does it.

7. When given a command, your dog (a) remembers and understands the contract, (b) interprets it to suit its own agenda.

8. Your dog (a) doesn't like it if you give other dogs its fishy supper, (b) is happy that you give other dogs eat its fishy supper.

9. Your dog (a) knows what it wants, (b) think it knows what other dogs want.

10. Your dog is coloured (a) red, wheaten and blue, (b) blue with yellow stars.

Mainly (a)s: leave the EU. Mainly (b)s, remain in the EU.

Edited by yod dropper

49 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

can you imagine him on question time with the Abbott ?

I'm pretty sure he has been on the Radio 4 version against Abbott.  If I remember rightly - nothing much happened as she doesn't listen to replies (or actually to the question in many cases) but just trots out some drivel about austerity - which seems to be her favourite word.

15 minutes ago, yod dropper said:

Under May's deal the European Court of Justice (ECJ) will remain in control of the agreement and large areas of EU law directly effective in the UK. The ECJ will remain as the final arbiter of the agreement and of the EU laws the UK will be subject to.

So not leaving the EU then.

Not relevant no mention of the ECJ in the Brexit vote. 

Either way the ECJ will only have jurisdiction during transition. Even in the event of the backstop being triggered  the ECJ will not be able to resolve disputes. 

54 minutes ago, oowee said:
  1 hour ago, motty said:

Ok, please tell me in what way May's deal delivers on the referendum result. What exactly have I missed?

I'd be interested in discovering this also. 

The vote was to leave the EU rather than remain as a member. Under Mays deal we leave the EU and will no longer be a member. 

54 minutes ago, oowee said:
  1 hour ago, motty said:

The vote was to leave the EU rather than remain as a member. Under Mays deal we leave the EU and will no longer be a member. 

Er, no. This is the reason why the deal is set to be voted down. BRINO!

2 hours ago, oowee said:

No, he did NOT miss the point! Also, he was a very close friend of his political enemy, Enoch Powell. Enoch was probably the most intelligent man in the Commons, and, like Benn, opposed the EU on exactly the same issues!

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

On that basis good news then !
Divorce bill wasnt mentioned, so no need to pay that.
NI border/backstop wasnt mentioned , so no issues there then.
Transition wasnt discussed , so were definitely out on WTO terms on the 29 th March then ?

2 hours ago, oowee said:

The  "meaningful" vote came, from George Soros, via Gina Miller! Neither of them British!

1 hour ago, oowee said:
  1 hour ago, motty said:

No, we pretend to have left the EU, yet remain stuck in it!

21 minutes ago, oowee said:

Either way the ECJ will only have jurisdiction during transition. Even in the event of the backstop being triggered  the ECJ will not be able to resolve disputes. 

and how long will "transition" last? I,m sure you know the answer to this......

3 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

George Soros, via Gina Miller! Neither of them British!

Georges Soros holds joint Hungarian and United States citizenship.  Gina Miller is a British Citizen (having been born in British Guyana)  Some sources suggest she also has Guyanese citizenship.