• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

What is a 'new brexit' ? 

my god ...reading that makes the blood run cold...........BBbbbrrrrrrr............

and then there will be "The New Remainers"............and the "New Brexiteers"........................playing at the Hammersmith palaise saturday night...(bring a bottle)

Expect to see some Tory MPs leave and join this lot, could get interesting. Part of the current problem is that both front benches represent the B Team for each party as the A Teams don't want to risk their reputation and careers trying to deliver on the fantasy of a Brexit that ends well for the UK...

Edited by Raja Clavata
added front

4 minutes ago, bavarianbrit said:

Honda, Britain's fifth largest car producer, will announce the closure of its Wiltshire plant tomorrow according to Sky News.

I used to be a big Honda supporter.  I had a 2nd hand USA built Accord Aerodeck for many years - virtually fault free and eventually changed (aged 12 I think) due to many worn parts inc. carburettor which were expensive to replace and making passing emissions test an issue.  Great car and did quite a high mileage.

I next had a (again USA built) Civic 2 door coupé.  Again - a very good car, but traded in due to needing a 4 door hatchback due to ageing parents and dog!

Finally a (new) Civic 5 door hatchback - built in Swindon; no end of troubles - and a poor ride.  Several recalls (mainly suspension related).  After 2 years with repeated dealer visits and multiple replaced parts, gave up aas nione of the faults were corrected and traded in - moving to (2nd hand) BMW (which I still have after 11 years).

My (late) father had a Japan built Civic - and that was also excellent.

Sadly, in my view, Swindon didn't ever match the quality of USA or Japan built cars.

45 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Part of the current problem is that both front benches represent the B Team for each party as the A Teams don't want to risk their reputation and careers trying to deliver on the fantasy of a Brexit that ends well for the UK...

Did you check your crystal ball for that prediction? 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Indeed you are quite correct, not surprising you're Aircrew, I suppose the Police at New Scotland Yard missed out when you found your place in the cockpit.

As Basil Fawlty used to say to Cybil, "you're a master of the bleedin' obvious!"

Well, I had always wanted to get into the ‘Flying squad’ - obv filled in the wrong application form ........still, pays a bit better here but the hours are just as bad.

2 hours ago, bavarianbrit said:

Honda, Britain's fifth largest car producer, will announce the closure of its Wiltshire plant tomorrow according to Sky News. The Swindon Honda branch employs 3,500 workers and is currently the firm's only factory inside the EU

BB

Again moving production to Japan, not europe, so again not brexit causing it. But wait for that to be the reason by all bias news outlets 

16 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If I'm not mistaken, the EU has just (1st Feb 2019) granted Japan zero tariff status after years of tariffs and negotiations. (since 2013).

and those negotiations started BEFORE the Referendum. So it,s not down to Brexit after all! Production peaked there in the early 2000,s and as some models  came to an end. they were not replaced,  production has halved. Plus, diesel cars are no longer the big  sellers, so it,s no surprise.  However, if we get the WTO withdrawal, and Trump keeps his word, Honda may yet, pull back from leaving!

22 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Again moving production to Japan, not europe, so again not brexit causing it. But wait for that to be the reason by all bias news outlets 

BBC news tonight said that although many will cite Brexit for this decision, Brexit actually played very little, if any, part in this decision. 

11 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Nope, I do believe he is retired?  

Honestly, how many people boycott New Zealand or French products now ( apart from Walker of course?) due to historical events? Personally I cannot see your prediction of 100000 estimated lost sale materialising, people have extremely short memories and of those 200k, how many are fleet sales? Alternatives ? Renault/ Peogeot - nope you said to boycott the French, Vauxhall ( ooooh, parent company is Opal) , Ford ( major production plants in Germany too ( should know as we used to supply them ) , Nissan vans - oops, also a Franco/ Germanic association.

But, with of course my limited knowledge of business think on this- how many manufacturing jobs are in the U.K. that supply to these French/German car Companies? Well let’s just say that it was enough for us to keep one plane operating ‘parts runs’ nearly every single day of the week.

Its not the single entity that is affected by a supposed boycott, but the smaller suppliers too and one of those might just be on your doorstep- their loss of business could be your loss of business? Project fear- nope, basic business analysis that any fool should understand.

Me

Edited by hambone