For Anyone With A Few Minutes Spare...

Novice

Best ignore this, I suggest.  

The questionnaire has obviously been designed to provide data showing that people who support grouse shooting are likely to:

-  be in favour of Brexit

-  be more likely to vote Conservative than Labour

-  suspect that climate change might not be entirely man-made

-  consider that increased raptor populations might have adverse effects on wildlife

-  be aware of the devastation that fires can cause on land after "re-wilding"

-  believe that food production is a useful activity

-  be upset by the suffering of TB-infected cattle

In other words, exactly the sort of people who are already detested by the bunny-huggers, luvvies, BBC senior management, the sneering classes, and all their friends among the SSSI brigade (Sanctimonious, Super-rich, pSeudo-Intellectuals).

13 hours ago, Bobba said:

The survey software recognises if you have already completed the survey. Presumably by ones ISPs address.

Does this allow the organisers of the questionnaire to "harvest" the IP address of anybody who responds in support of grouse shooting (and might be likely to possess guns), and pass that information on to any of their less reputable associates?

The survey software recognises if you have already completed the survey. Presumably by ones ISPs address.

McSpredder asked:

"Does this allow the organisers of the questionnaire to "harvest" the IP address of anybody who responds in support of grouse shooting (and might be likely to possess guns), and pass that information on to any of their less reputable associates?"

Doubtful as it would be probably be an extreme breach of data protection.

Edited by Bobba

5 hours ago, Bobba said:

McSpredder asked:

"Does this allow the organisers of the questionnaire to "harvest" the IP address of anybody who responds in support of grouse shooting (and might be likely to possess guns), and pass that information on to any of their less reputable associates?"

Doubtful as it would be probably be an extreme breach of data protection.

I wasn't thinking about whether such action would be within the law, just wondering whether it was technically possible.

The following quotation suggests that Avery and his associates could very easily capture the IP address of any person who responds to the questionnaire, which was run through a company named SurveyMonkey:

https://www.opinionoutpost.com/en/blog/are-surveymonkeys-anonymous#.XSDy4I3ruig

"SurveyMonkey allows users to create surveys, either with anonymous responses or ones that capture personal information automatically. That means it's up to the particular user to protect anonymity. There are two different ways the service can capture your personal information. The first method involves personal consent by asking that respondents give their details in the survey itself. The second method, which does not require this, automatically captures your email address or IP address for the survey creator. Luckily, this can be disabled, but it's the creator's responsibility to do so. Once IP address and email capture is shut off, respondents' information can still be discovered if you're replying to an email invitation."

I am not expressing any view about whether Avery would or would not be likely to capture personal data via this survey.

I see that Avery has tried to put his own spin on the results, but my takeaway is that those opposed to grouse shooting seem much more extreme in their views. A lot of 90%+ responses for the most polarised answer, while the pro-grouse shooting responses seem a bit more balanced. 

I still think it was a worthwhile exercise to get involved.