7 hours ago, guzzicat said:

Anyone know where a stall selling 10 bore shells will be this year?

I believe Claygame will be there. You should be able to order in advance and collect.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's Scone!

It's quite clearly pronounced 'Scone'.

No debate 😂

I believe it's pronounced scon.  

As for which way round the cream and jam goes. Depends on the jam, thin enough to ooze a little, it goes on top.of the cream. Lumpy stiff set stuff gets spread on the scone first then the cream. Saves me wearing it.

Edited by figgy

If it's clotted cream (as it should be) then I put that on first. You need the friction of a dry scone surface to be able to apply evenly. The jam's low viscosity on the other hand lends it to over-cream positioning. The exception to the rule for me is when I occasionally get served whipped cream in a small container instead of clotted. In this case the whole bedrock of the scone philosophy is turned on its head because now the consistency of the cream is such that it must go on second. 

It's a subject I think we all feel passionate about and that unites us as one. This said it's scone not scone so some of you are clearly wrong. 😋

• 2 weeks later...

Setting aside the deliciousness of said foodstuffs (defo clotted cream on first) isn’t the English language daft.

Scone, sounding like spawn, is of course the correct pronunciation of the delicious high tea staple, however some of you daft southern types pronounce it scone, sounding like loan.  This is wholly wrong.

Of course the place, famous for the palace, the stone that rascal Edward stole and thought he could keep under a chair at Westminster, and of course the Scottish fair is pronounced Scone sounding like loon.

It is a versatile word too, so someone looking a bit miserable could be said to have “a pus like a torn scone” or if that person was being a bit lippy they could be threatened with “i’ll scone you right in the pus” as a physical rebuke or “I sconed my head on that low door frame”.

(Pus, pronounced like bus, is east central Scotland slang for face.)

It is a little bit like Slough, pronounced as in plow which means the town, or slough pronounced slow which is a boggy place, (sloo for our American friends) or of course slough pronounced like rough which is a cast skin.

There is also a saying which is the “Slough of Despond” which is a state of extreme despondency, which may also be apt for the town! 

An utterly pointless post, but i’m on a long train trip home.

7 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

I can never hear that name without being reminded of Betjeman's poem.

I had to look that up, seems almost as fitting now as when it was written.

”The slough of despond” comes from John Bunyan’s The Pilgrim’s Progress.