Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
toxo

Another parking rant!

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

On a side note a new estate is being built near us, a majority are 4 or 5 bed houses, the planning stipulation was that there must be 1.4 car parking spaced / drives per dwelling.

1.4 spaces for a 5 bed house, the estate that was completed 12 months ago has issues with some houses reportedly having 10 cars due to them being let as HMOs!

To add to this stupidity a garage is counted as a parking space so a 5 bed with single garage and drive is counted as x2 parking  -  go figure:/:no:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be a bit late for reply, but I just received an email from council that my parking permit has expired end of June and due to a system failure they didn’t send a reminder. They already extend my parking permit by one month (end of July) and sent me the information for renewal.

They also mentioned that to send them an email if I got any ticket (which I didn’t) and they will cancel it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Chukar.

Gives me some hope. I'll quote that. What council was that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, toxo said:

Thanks Chukar.

Gives me some hope. I'll quote that. What council was that?

Your welcome.

It's Barnet.

Here is the email that I got from council:

"Our records show that your permit is past its expiry date and you have not yet renewed it.  Due to a system problem we believe that we did not send you the intended reminder notifications before the expiry date.  We are sorry for this and would like to advise you that an extension has been put in place for your permit until 31 July 2019. "

Hopefully it get sorted for you as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2019 at 09:26, Diver One said:

It came as a bit of a surprise to me to find that some of the new developments around here will not allow vans or commercial,vehicles to be parked overnight.  So the people who built the place are not deemed fit to live there

They put that in the covenants when they built our house/street. 

Apparently no sign written vans are allowed. They said it brings down the look of the estate. 

 

One of our snobby neighbours complained as there are now 2-3 sign written vans on the estate (one is my lodger). 

When they said in the yearly management committee meeting the committee said they are better things to worry about and they aren’t going to tell people on the estate that they can’t earn a living. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a pity more are not like that

some of the ones around here are so far up themselves they can see what they had for breakfast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lloyd those covenants are not worth the paper they are written and are rarely if ever enforceable.

They are only enforceable by the person or company who took it out and only then if they can prove loss or damage as a result of the breach.

developers include them in sale contracts to stop people parking caravans, commercial (sign written vans) vehicles and sometimes hanging washing on certain days. This is to protect them while they continue to build and sell. Such breaches may, for instance prevent another potential purchaser from buying. In this case they could enforce.

However, once the development is finished they it would be extremely unlikely that they could enforce as they would not be able to suffer any loss or damage as a result. Importantly no neighbour can enforce against the breach at anytime.

A letter from a developer or management company is usually enough to "frighten" people into complying. 

 

Hope this helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:19, ph5172 said:

On a side note a new estate is being built near us, a majority are 4 or 5 bed houses, the planning stipulation was that there must be 1.4 car parking spaced / drives per dwelling.

1.4 spaces for a 5 bed house, the estate that was completed 12 months ago has issues with some houses reportedly having 10 cars due to them being let as HMOs!

In London they now build dwellings with no parking making it obvious what the council's intentions are for the future. It suits the developers too, they can get another half a house on two parking spaces. 

I have just bought a flat in St Austell Cornwall, terms of the lease includes no vans, no minibuses, no caravans or boats, no externally visible washing, no pets and NO FIREARMS, no short term lets, etc

Edited by Vince Green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

In London they now build dwellings with no parking making it obvious what the council's intentions are for the future. It suits the developers too, they can get another half a house on two parking spaces. 

I have just bought a flat in St Austell Cornwall, terms of the lease includes no vans, no minibuses, no caravans or boats, no externally visible washing, no pets and NO FIREARMS, no short term lets, etc

Blimey, we seem to be going down the German route!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey, we seem to be going down the German route!

Its all cut and paste these days, leases and tenancy agreements, job contracts etc are not written individually anymore. They are just downloaded from legal websites specialising in pre written legal documents in exchange for a fee.

The result is a 'one size fits all' document with every clause imaginable neatly covered. Some appropriate, others not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE!

After getting turned down three times,  I went to the tribunal and got the decision today. I've only gone and won!!!

There's still some skulduggery afoot though. I only won because the council offered no evidence and so the contravention was deemed not to have happened. My guess is the council couldn't afford to take the risk of getting it overturned for fear of opening the floodgates to many others. A bitter sweet victory but I'll take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. Must admit I was gobsmacked. The council is of course entitled to spout the legal stuff and of course I did contravene the rules but we used to have a quality of councilors  and MPs that could look at what's right or wrong not just look at what the book says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toxo said:

Thanks guys. Must admit I was gobsmacked. The council is of course entitled to spout the legal stuff and of course I did contravene the rules but we used to have a quality of councilors  and MPs that could look at what's right or wrong not just look at what the book says.

Toxo, it wouldn't be the Councillors that looked at your appeal, these days it's probably a sub-contracted firm and you called their bluff and the Council failed to offer the evidence required.

Just proves it is worth trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 17:08, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Toxo, it wouldn't be the Councillors that looked at your appeal, these days it's probably a sub-contracted firm and you called their bluff and the Council failed to offer the evidence required.

Just proves it is worth trying.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember during one of the phone “conversations” one of em saying they don’t take people to court!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...