Variation .222 and/or .223?

So I'm about to send in the paper work for a variation and I am unsure how I should proceed.

I will be applying for a .22 centre fire, and the likelihood is it will be a second hand rifle. Therefore, it may be a .222 or a .223 that floats my boat (and wallet!) 

Can I apply for both to be listed on a single slot or must it be specific to exact calibre?

There are some nice deals on .222 but I'm not going to turn down a good deal on a .223 either.

3 minutes ago, Sussex gardener said:

So I'm about to send in the paper work for a variation and I am unsure how I should proceed.

I will be applying for a .22 centre fire, and the likelihood is it will be a second hand rifle. Therefore, it may be a .222 or a .223 that floats my boat (and wallet!) 

Can I apply for both to be listed on a single slot or must it be specific to exact calibre?

There are some nice deals on .222 but I'm not going to turn down a good deal on a .223 either.

I think it would have to be a specific calibre.

I would just apply for a 22 centrefire and see what they come up with, but there again I'm just an old grumpy stirrer. My personal choice would be for the 222, neat little cartridge and super accurate shooter in the right rifle, but to be honest the 'customers' will not even notice the difference.  If you can source some when you get your rifle then try some Barnes TSX 50g.  I shoot that bullet in my 22 Bench Rest and it does the job no problem.  Let's know what you decide on .

26 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Is 223 not dirt cheap over there?  

Nope, not like your side.
A decent hunting round is £1 a pop, sometimes more.

Plinking stuff 30-50p a round.
I can reload a 'good' round, nice Hornady vmax with nice powder for around 50 p

2 hours ago, zipdog said:

just get the 222. Best all round vermin calibre ever made

I cant see that it can do anything a .223 cant.
At least with .223 you have massive, usually cheaper ammo choice, with access to milsurp.

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Nope, not like your side.
A decent hunting round is £1 a pop, sometimes more.

Plinking stuff 30-50p a round.
I can reload a 'good' round, nice Hornady vmax with nice powder for around 50 p

At least with .223 you have massive, usually cheaper ammo choice, with access to milsurp.

Gotcha,  store bought 223 starts at 18cent, store bought 222 starts at 50 cent.  So 222 doesn’t make sense over here.  The decision makes it self.  

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Gotcha,  store bought 223 starts at 18cent, store bought 222 starts at 50 cent.  So 222 doesn’t make sense over here.  The decision makes it self.  

Thats what I thought.

I did by some Chinese milsurp the other day for 11p a round, shoots surprisingly well, and the cases reload nicely.
Russian steel cased stuff for plinking at 15 p , but obviously unreloadable.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

They ruined it for all Chinese ammo and firearm manufacturers.  We can still get norinco stuff but it’s smuggled in through Canada.  It goes by the code name sesame ammo.  You see post for a Sesame M14.  Means it’s imported from Canada AKA illegal import. Still a bunch floating around.  

42 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

By that logic get a 22-250.  222 is just a nice, very sweet shooting, inherently accurate calibre. Its not over powered for long range vermin and has enough power for larger stuff.

The Yanks then took it an add 100 fps to meet their military criteria and the 223 was born. A very good round also, both too similar to argue any significant difference but as a all rounder my sentiments are with the traditional 222. 

3 minutes ago, zipdog said:

By that logic get a 22-250.

That defeats the object of cheap ammo and large choice doesnt it ?

3 minutes ago, zipdog said:

The Yanks then took it an add 100 fps to meet their military criteria and the 223 was born. A very good round also, both too similar to argue any significant difference but as a all rounder my sentiments are with the traditional 222. 

Which was my point.
Its a matter of personal choice obviously, but to shoot the .222 is going to cost you more, with less choice, simples.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Which was my point.
Its a matter of personal choice obviously, but to shoot the .222 is going to cost you more, with less choice, simples.

True but to me the cost argument doesn’t coming into centerfire ammunition. You’re not letting rounds off like a machine gun.  223 is certainly a lot easier to get hold of though. A few shops don’t stock 222.

45 minutes ago, zipdog said:

True but to me the cost argument doesn’t coming into centerfire ammunition. You’re not letting rounds off like a machine gun.  223 is certainly a lot easier to get hold of though. A few shops don’t stock 222.

Fair enough, I know a man who goes out foxing and only takes 1 round with him.

Me , if Im going down the range, Ill do 20 minimum , sometimes 2 or 3 times that, not worth going otherwise.

24 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I shot a 420 round can through my bolt action last month.  😁

I bet you did, probably at an old car or something too :lol:

12 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Fair enough, I know a man who goes out foxing and only takes 1 round with him.

Me , if Im going down the range, Ill do 20 minimum , sometimes 2 or 3 times that, not worth going otherwise.

I bet you did, probably at an old car or something too :lol:

😂  I bought 1600 cans of spray paint at auction.  They a awesome to shoot.  Huge spray of color.  

03176D1F-AC8F-4BBC-82ED-F0CF27A98809.jpeg

23 minutes ago, London Best said:

That’s fine if it is your own property you are making a mess on. Your average UK farmer or landowner is going to take a very dim view of that. You would not be shooting anything there again.

Yea,  I put a burm beside our trash cans.  My son like to shoot our trash before it goes to the dump.  We keep that part clean.  Gets a little messy down in the woods though.  People haul all sort of stuff in there to shoot.  I clean it up once or twice a year.  Most people haul their own trash away.  

I have had both .222 and .223 and in the field there is very little difference between them. The .223  has more availability to buy factory ammo. I only changed away from 222 as my rifle got damage and my son shoots a 223 so it’s easier to reload for 1 caliber. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I applied for both .223 and .222 and 200 rounds of ammunition. I gave a covering note to say that I would like the option of both calibres, however my preference is a .222

6 days later, my shiny new variation lands in the letterbox with .222 added

Just as well I found an amazing deal on a brand new Howa package