Who still wears a watch ?

Old Boggy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At home I don't wear a watch. If going out dressed up I'll wear one. 

I've noticed in the last year I'm wearing them less and less. Use my phone or clock on car.

Wife wears a Apple watch during the day and changes for a dress watch to go out.

4 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

It’s probably the most valuable possession I own so it’s insured and worn everyday, the only time it comes off is at night or if I’m doing something messy or it could get broken.

Same as here. I like a nice watch. A friend said to me the other week that if his watch was worth as much he would keep it in a safe. No point in doing that IMO, mine cost quite a bit and is used continually, as such gets a battering.  After 5 years I send it back to the manufacturer for a service and it comes back like new. But, I place absolutely zero value in vehicles and abuse them until the drop to bits. Each to their own I suppose.

BA76D54D-3811-452A-BD55-BE01CDA37BCF.jpeg

Edited by Taileron

2 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Same as here. I like a nice watch. A friend said to me the other week that if his watch was worth as much he would keep it in a safe. No point in doing that IMO, mine cost quite a bit and is used continually, as such gets a battering.  After 5 years I send it back to the manufacturer for a service and it comes back like new. But, I place absolutely zero value in vehicles and abuse them until the drop to bits. Each to their own I suppose.

I’ve had a lot of people also tell me the same thing. This is the watch in question, it’s overdue a service now that you mention it.

C0D6E414-EE19-438E-BB7B-6627472678C6.jpeg

59 minutes ago, butchdickason said:

SEIKO watches since 1965, still wear every day.

I am the same , I am lost without my watch , my mobile phone I could do without as I leave it in different coats and most of the time I don't need it .

My two grand daughters don't wear a watch so it might be another one of these age related threads . 

I stopped wearing a watch over two years-my job was time critical and I got sick of checking the time. We are surrounded by clock displays so I always have the precise time to hand. 

Oddly I feel better for it.

My Rolex oyster date sits in the gun safe and I'll give it my lad for a birthday present.

f.

Yep every day. Phone is in my pocket watch is on my wrist so easier to see. Swop it at night for one with good lume.

Have several and they all have to be correct within seconds.

Only take off the automatics when shooting shotgun.

26 minutes ago, Taileron said:

I can never understand that after all a car costs more (most of the time) but people are happy to leave them out in the road 

1 hour ago, guzzicat said:

Some of mine, Love the Pogue but like the Citizen Bullhead too

IMG_4193.JPG

Seiko 24/7. Had the auto chrono shown for years and recently sold it. Cost me £21 in the American BX at Bruggen in 1970. Father's Omega on a night out perhaps, but if booted and suited the Benson Half Hunter.

15 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I can never understand that after all a car costs more (most of the time) but people are happy to leave them out in the road 

Agreed, I got so tired of my cars getting whacked that I decided to never spend a fortune on a nice one so some scumbag can either key it or whack doors/shopping trolleys in it. Having said that the decider was when my young daughter ( some years back ) projectile vomited McDonald’s chocolate milkshake all over the back of my head on a journey back from the safari park. The stink was unbearable even after a deep clean/valet, I had to trade it in.

44 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I’ve had a lot of people also tell me the same thing. This is the watch in question, it’s overdue a service now that you mention it.

C0D6E414-EE19-438E-BB7B-6627472678C6.jpeg

I was tempted by one of those a while ago, but it was a bit "busy" for my taste. Lovely watches though. My wife has a Breitling  - can't recall what model and my son has a Super Avenger which is massive.

1 minute ago, walshie said:

I was tempted by one of those a while ago, but it was a bit "busy" for my taste. Lovely watches though. My wife has a Breitling  - can't recall what model and my son has a Super Avenger which is massive.

Some of the Breitlings are pretty big. A lot of them come in different sizes, mines 43mm iirc.

8 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Agreed, I got so tired of my cars getting whacked that I decided to never spend a fortune on a nice one so some scumbag can either key it or whack doors/shopping trolleys in it. Having said that the decider was when my young daughter ( some years back ) projectile vomited McDonald’s chocolate milkshake all over the back of my head on a journey back from the safari park. The stink was unbearable even after a deep clean/valet, I had to trade it in.

I'm much the same, nearly bought a couple of year old ranger last year then thought if I spend all that money on a truck I won't use it for what I want one for.

I want to be a watch person.  I own a few.  Hell I own a Rolex.  But they irritate me.  I’d love to be a suit and tie  with custom shoes and a watch type guy.  But that’s not me.  I got this watch when granddad passed.  I had it looked at and it appears to be real.  My grandfather was wealthy but not someone to spend big money on a watch.  The family guesses he loaned money to someone and took it as collateral. He loaned money to half the town.  3B81FED0-BB7F-4AAE-9C7B-F90D625A3C8E.jpeg.0d0faea133615f1a38302f33186cfd59.jpeg

Edited by NoBodyImportant