Who still wears a watch ?

Old Boggy

I have a cheap Timex expedition, never comes off. It's got paint plaster and compo stuck on and in it. Wear it to everything including black tie do's. Believe it or not I only use it to tell me the time where I am lol.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I also have a phone but ,fail to see how getting that out of my pocket and pressing buttons and swiping and then struggling to see a small time in the corner of a dark screen out side then pressing buttons and finally pushing it back into my zip up pocket .-- is easier than turing my wrist to read the time on a large faced watch .

Doh .

I’m in the same boat. Feel lost not having a watch but wouldn’t want to get my phone out each time I had the urge to time check.

3 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I want to be a watch person.  I own a few.  Hell I own a Rolex.  But they irritate me.  I’d love to be a suit and tie  with custom shoes and a watch type guy.  But that’s not me.  

I'm not a suit and tie type person and didn't wear a watch in previous jobs but now I dress clean and smart (ish) tattersall shirt and moleskin trousers or Williams jeans, along with clean polished vehicles. I think it helps with the image we / the company wants to project and a smartish watch is part of that plus it helps you to turn up when you said you would.

33 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I want to be a watch person.  I own a few.  Hell I own a Rolex.  But they irritate me.  I’d love to be a suit and tie  with custom shoes and a watch type guy.  But that’s not me.  I got this watch when granddad passed.  I had it looked at and it appears to be real.  My grandfather was wealthy but not someone to spend big money on a watch.  The family guesses he loaned money to someone and took it as collateral. He loaned money to half the town.  3B81FED0-BB7F-4AAE-9C7B-F90D625A3C8E.jpeg.0d0faea133615f1a38302f33186cfd59.jpeg

If you were to take that to a Rolex dealer then can confirm that it’s genuine swiftly. A full service will be about £800 to 1k depending on what you had done. Rolex can date it accurately. You may be surprised how much it’s worth, definitely needs adding on the home insurance. There a loads of differing submariner models, here is an idea of value.

824F4CF4-092E-456D-9392-F4F2BE69D682.png

Edited by Taileron

10 minutes ago, Taileron said:

If you were to take that to a Rolex dealer then can confirm that it’s genuine swiftly. A full service will be about £800 to 1k depending on what you had done. Rolex can date it accurately. You may be surprised how much it’s worth, definitely needs adding on the home insurance. There a loads of differing submariner models, here is an idea of value.

824F4CF4-092E-456D-9392-F4F2BE69D682.png

I took it to a watch dealer.  He said the action looked real.  He compared it to another Rolex.  But he said he would have to run the serial number to verify.  But he said if it came up stolen he would have to turn it over to the police.  Since I have no idea we’re it came from I didn’t what to risk losing it.  I know my grandfather would not have stolen it but I don’t know who he bought it from or took it as collateral.  

15 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I took it to a watch dealer.  He said the action looked real.  He compared it to another Rolex.  But he said he would have to run the serial number to verify.  But he said if it came up stolen he would have to turn it over to the police.  Since I have no idea we’re it came from I didn’t what to risk losing it.  I know my grandfather would not have stolen it but I don’t know who he bought it from or took it as collateral.  

There is an on line database to check the serial numbers. I think it’s £10 and it gives you access and allows multiple searches. I have used it a couple of times to check out watches that have been bought second hand. It’s called the watch register.

7 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Although I do wear one for diving, but guess that doesn’t really count.

I wear my Citizen Hyper Aqualand Dive watch if we are going somewhere fancy or wet, when I remember, but this has just reminded me I havnt seen it for a while 😱

Still wearing a casio i bought in 2003. Several new straps and a few batteries. Still going strong. Im sure it was 7.99 from Argos. Cover in oil, gease, blood and snot but i wear it everday.

Bargain!!

Edited by del.gue

4 minutes ago, del.gue said:

Still wearing a casio i bought in 2003. Several new straps and a few batteries. Still going strong. Im sure it was 7.99 from Argos. Cover in oil, gease, blood and snot but i wear it everday.

Bargain!!

Sounds like Trigger's broom. :lol:

6 minutes ago, del.gue said:

Bargain!!

sounds like you need some tissues 😉 

Wear garmin at work that lets me know wife is calling . I wear a proper watch when going out. Would love a Rolex tag or bertling but can not warrant one for the amount I’d wear one.

i think my going out watch is a citizen world time got hands and digital and can adjust time zone and summertime really easy .

nearly 10 years ago my watch broke so I went in to a shop and asked to see a mechanical automatic chronometer with a black face and it must be very hard wearing and virtually indestructible.  The man walked over to the display cabinet and brought out a Tag Heuer AuqaRacer with a stainless steel bracelet.

I wear it all day every day whatever I am doing and that includes mechanics, decorating, gardening etc etc.  It still looks great keeps virtually perfect time and never failed me.