Who still wears a watch ?

Old Boggy

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:23, Taileron said:

There is an on line database to check the serial numbers. I think it’s £10 and it gives you access and allows multiple searches. I have used it a couple of times to check out watches that have been bought second hand. It’s called the watch register.

There is a clue to check if it's a genuine Rolex, they should have a small crown etched into the glass like this:

crown.png.39625afb835332fefe57f6e89ab5d6da.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/07/2019 at 12:42, Taileron said:

Agreed, I got so tired of my cars getting whacked that I decided to never spend a fortune on a nice one so some scumbag can either key it or whack doors/shopping trolleys in it. Having said that the decider was when my young daughter ( some years back ) projectile vomited McDonald’s chocolate milkshake all over the back of my head on a journey back from the safari park. The stink was unbearable even after a deep clean/valet, I had to trade it in.

You’re not called Nigel Farage are you?

Can't go out without a watch on.

Wearing a TAG at the mo as my Rolex sub is due a service. That one has been worn every day for years and has been abused to bits. Toughest watch I've ever owned and has even made me a few thousand pounds in profit as well.

Own two other Rolex and a few Tiso, Rado, RW as well.

On 06/07/2019 at 12:23, bluesj said:

I can never understand that after all a car costs more (most of the time) but people are happy to leave them out in the road 

I don't think people are happy about it, per se. We leave them in the road as we're so short of space in suburbia, we don't have drives/garages to keep our expensive vehicles safe from the chronically clumsy and toe-rags alike.

Equally, I wouldn't wear a watch worth thousands on my wrist in Bristol or any other big city.

Fine if you like that sort of thing; but my casio tells the time equally well.  For 'posh' occasions I have the Mondaine Swiss Railway Watch, worth £150, at a push, when new.

I suppose, as has been talked about in the investment thread, you might as well invest your money in something that brings you joy whilst it appreciates in value. As the alternative appears to be scrimping it all into your pension pot, only for it to get raided by the next inept tenant in Number 11 Downing St.  So, more power to your elbow.  Or indeed wrist.

It just won't be watches for me.  Or guns.  Or even classic cars.  All are tools to get a job done

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:45, martinj said:

There is a clue to check if it's a genuine Rolex, they should have a small crown etched into the glass like this:

crown.png.39625afb835332fefe57f6e89ab5d6da.png

I think that laser etching only started in 2004-5 so in no way an indication of authenticity as older watches will not have this feature, my own 2000-01 GMTii does not have it for starters.

I did notice that the watch shown is missing the zero marker on the rotating bezel which might mean nothing but could indicate a fake that has been poorly put together, but equally could mean that his genuine watch has had a real thump.

I would want to know if it were mine for sure. What I can say is that if it is in need of a service there is a reputable watchmaker in Hamilton near Glasgow called Jon - Watch Repairs UK who get a very good name, they are currently doing a fixed price service of 99pounds plus VAT for service on ANY Rolex movement!! If it needs parts for repairs they are charged extra, but this is a brilliant deal. I have no link to this company but I know they are well respected for what they do and this offer is only on for a few days/weeks.

21 hours ago, Rake aboot said:

Can't go out without a watch on.

Wearing a TAG at the mo as my Rolex sub is due a service. That one has been worn every day for years and has been abused to bits. Toughest watch I've ever owned and has even made me a few thousand pounds in profit as well.

Own two other Rolex and a few Tiso, Rado, RW as well.

Rake if you are on Facebook search for Jon - Watch Repairs UK they are based in Hamilton (don't know their web address) they have an offer on right now of 99pounds plus VAT for any Rolex service, parts required in addition to a service is charged extra. They arrange couriers both ways if required. I doubt there is a better deal anywhere for this at the moment! My Rolex are running spot on just now or they would have been booked in! Sadly he is still >500quid for a Breitling and I need that done :-(

As for the crown etched into the glass and other bits. It's getting very hard to tell what's genuine and what's not.  Unless you have them side by side and know what to look for your going to struggle.  Some genuine rolexes have had non genuine parts fitted.

If watches are your thing buy them, same with guns or art etc.

A very good fake watch will tell the time as good if not better than the genuine one. The ata guns that look like Berettas don't shoot any differently to the genuine article. Only difference is in its worth 

Edited by figgy

I thought this was going to be boring but no, it is amazing just how diverse we on PW are.  Yes, I wear a watch. It is a Timex Expedition I purhased from a department store in Houston around 25yrs ago and has never lost a second to my knowledge and only stopped working to replace the battery.  Worn out about a dozen straps though.  It was very expensive as it was on offer at $12 and I thought twice about investing that much in a watch:rolleyes:.    It has been submerged many times during work on the river so must be watertight.   It just does what the label says.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Some genuine rolexes have had non genuine parts fitted.

That goes with all the big players. I had an original pre bond seamaster 200m quartz. I did the battery changes myself but after 25 years of faultless service it started to keep poor time and was returned to omega for a service. 3 ish years later the battery had gone so I took off the case back to find the original omega movement had been replaced with a standard ETA movement. After a return to the reputable dealer I was informed that this was industry practice  as omega had discontinued the original. Raging.

What they don't tell you is lots of the big names used ETA movements. The machinery was sold to China who make ETA Chinese movements to higher tolerance.

Most of the so called watch industry is a big racket. The Rolex Daytona used a slightly modified Zenith movement for decades.

Some very interesting videos on who owns what and what goes I to what.

Edited by figgy

got a few watches, nothing very expensive,  the dearest is a bullova precisionist which was about 500 quid, my favourite is a tissot with a large smoked face and big numbers so my poor old eyes can see the time, cost me all of 295 poonds, it's got sapphire glass and a heavy s/s bracelet so pretty strong and durable which will do just nicely.

On 09/07/2019 at 11:45, martinj said:

Not always and all models. My 35 year old datejust does not and it's been back to Rolex for a clean.

In answer to the original ops post , I  never wear a watch lol, ( it doesn't matter WHAT watch we wear . Yawwwwwnnnn ..........)

image.jpegSaves faffing around getting a phone out and illuminating the whole world with a gadget whilst out shooting,

and I like em, no need to charge etc etc, a simple precise gadget that has been around for years

flynny

Edited by flynny

1 hour ago, figgy said:

What they don't tell you is lots of the big names used ETA movements. The machinery was sold to China who make ETA Chinese movements to higher tolerance.

Most of the so called watch industry is a big racket. The Rolex Daytona used a slightly modified Zenith movement for decades.

Some very interesting videos on who owns what and what goes I to what.

I have read this many times. The ETA movement has been round for yonks I have a 1960 gold Eternamatic. Still runs and keeps great time.

Some of the better fakes have a high end Seiko movement and they don't come much better than that.

I'm never without mine, I have an Omega Speedmaster pro moon watch with an alligator strap for best and a Longines Hydroconquest sport for everyday as it's waterproof and never comes off. All in all about 5 grands worth now but I bought them both using Tesco club card vouchers exchanged at  Goldsmiths when you could get 4 times their value.

In 8 years I'll be 60 and the day before, my boy will be 21 so he will get the Speedmaster and I plan to get a Milgauss. I want the one with the green face but I'll need to eat a few more frozen pizzas first!!

I also have a little gold Oris that my dad gave me when I was 13 after my grandad died as it was his. I had it serviced and a new glass put in a while ago and now my wife wears it when we go out and it looks really classy.

Great thread, thanks for posting everyone.

GG

9 hours ago, general grievous said:

In 8 years I'll be 60 and the day before, my boy will be 21 so he will get the Speedmaster and I plan to get a Milgauss. I want the one with the green face but I'll need to eat a few more frozen pizzas first!!

That’s my plan. I really like the green milgauss AND Air King, can’t decide. The curve ball is a El Primero, but I would never use a chronograph. A friend has just bought a 1960’sGulf Monaco for ridiculous money, but it does look fabulous.