Is correct spelling not taught anymore ?

Old Boggy

Normally on PW those that either cannot spell or punctuate correctly or more likely cannot be bothered to spell or punctuate correctly are usually the loudest protesters when the issue is raised.

99% of phones and computers have "Spellcheck" but you either have to turn it on or accept its guidance.

Careless spelling from so called professional companies trying to get our custom is just showing how poorly they respect their prospective customers and are presumably employing staff who either do not know or care! 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I did say acceptable and amusing on here :good:

Your posts Ditchy, are written in Norfolkstanie and are therefore perfectly acceptable if not somewhat incoherent after 2 or 3 bottles of the red stuff.

Corrected that for you!:P

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

...needs a possessive apostrophe in Queen's...

Ooops, hoist once again by my own petard. Must really try harder. :hmm:

Thank goodness for the edit button.

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

99% of phones and computers have "Spellcheck" but you either have to turn it on or accept its guidance.

not quite, my phone has vindictive spelling. It's almost like it's given up trying to put the correct words i want, so puts completely random ones.

I have a friend who is Hungarian, but also speaks German and Swedish.

He tells me that English is, by far, the hardest language to grasp. His English is excellent, but he is still tripped up occasionally by the many pronunciations of "-ough" !

(He's tried to teach me some Hungarian, but it's totally baffling !)

Edited by Blackbriar

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

I have to admit I’m not the smartest guy when it comes to English. My mums been helping me out a little bit of late as I’d like to come across smarter. 

Little chance of that tho 😂😂

You can be excused TT coming from Tamuth where a duvtale, wood be akseptabul. If you can't spell it I know full well you can make it and to a very high quality.

1 hour ago, Blackbriar said:

I have a friend who is Hungarian  .....  His English is excellent, but he is still tripped up occasionally by the many pronunciations of "-ough" !

Reminds me that in the early 1970s quite a number of people in Northern Nigeria, when speaking English, tended to pronounce "-ough" as in "enough", and the letter "p" as though it were an "f".   As a result, "plough" sounded rather like "fluff".    Some also had difficulty with words ending "-sk", and I soon learned that a "dix fluff" was actually a disc plough.   The American volunteers (roughly equivalent to VSO) were the Peace Corps, and the first word often sounded like urine.

Yes, English can be a difficult language.   In fact, I would venture to suggest that the best place to hear it spoken with precision is not in England, but in the Hebrides.     Listen carefully to an educated Scot (at least, one of the older generation), and you will soon notice that "which" is not pronounced as "witch", and "where" does not sound the same as "wear".   Maybe that was the influence of the dominee and the tawse, and I am not so sure about the young folk.

On 06/07/2019 at 08:47, Hamster said:

Life wouldn't be the same if you couldn't look forward to the next delicious howler, last night I saw phenomenal spelt for nominal (complete with a space). It's amusing because you never know if the gaffe was intentional or whether they can't spell or weather they simply write things as they here them. I could of died laughing. 

"Whether" not "weather".

"Could have" not "Could of".

Just saying.

Edd

Have to admit that sometime when I read through my old posts I wonder whether I was drunk or half asleep and cringe at some of the errors.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

when i cant spell a wurd i luk four an emoji..:oops:...or use these .>..*****************   *****

Oh, we hadn`t noticed :whistling:

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

"Whether" not "weather".

Just saying.

Edd

I think that Hamster was using irony. :hmm:

2 hours ago, eddoakley said:

"Whether" not "weather".

Just saying.

Edd

Have to admit that sometime when I read through my old posts I wonder whether I was drunk or half asleep and cringe at some of the errors.

Edd

i feel for you bro 

On 06/07/2019 at 08:47, Hamster said:

Life wouldn't be the same if you couldn't look forward to the next delicious howler, last night I saw phenomenal spelt for nominal (complete with a space). It's amusing because you never know if the gaffe was intentional or whether they can't spell or weather they simply write things as they here them. I could of died laughing. 

I could OF died laughing????