Trying

Jacko3275

Well been out today (sat) trying to find my first permission called to about 20 farms only managed to speak to people at five of those no one about or answering at the others so posted a business type card ..of those I spoke too said they would call if they needed me is that just a polite not interested .... am I going the right way what I’m doing 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jacko3275 said:

Well been out today (sat) trying to find my first permission called to about 20 farms only managed to speak to people at five of those no one about or answering at the others so posted a business type card ..of those I spoke too said they would call if they needed me is that just a polite not interested .... am I going the right way what I’m doing 

Going the right way! I was out myself this morning just got back in found a couple fields that are being hammered by pigeons taped my card to the entrances to fields . One had rope bangers attached so I'm hopeful I might get a call from that one. Going to go on google maps now and try locate the fields I found & ring the farms nearest to it to try get a name & number of the land owner . All you can do is try good luck mate👍 I'm in the same boat as you! 

If some said they will call if they need you some of them might well do. When I was working away a lot I couldn't commit to anyone fully but would often go out a second gun to keep birds moving etc and have still got a couple of places like it. One of the places I go stalking has got an old boy doing it but he can't get about so well and hasn't got a vehicle  to be able to get about of road so when the farm want a few more gone they give me a call

48 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Those of us with "permissions" have done the footwork and made the contacts, we do not by any means get every one we ask at, you just keep at it.

If you are told "we will ring you" accept it and hope it works out.

Best time to ask for permission is when the Woodpigeons are attacking the crops.

10 minutes ago, sam triple said:

I’ve been out this morning too and met the same response as you ,unfortunately I don’t have any cards to leave and a scribbled on bit of paper thru the door doesn’t look good ,it’s a hard slog and a bit dis heartening, but I’ll keep at it 

It can be dis heartening can't it felt like that this morning on my way back home but you've got to keep at it I suppose 

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh come on most of us have access to a photocopier and a computer/printer.

Raise your game a little!

If you can laminate your cards as well it's a big help makes them waterproof while attached to the fence posts & if you hand them out they dont get trashed as easy if there in someones wallet / van / tractor 👍

Edited by Stephen-H

5 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

It can be dis heartening can't it felt like that this morning on my way back home but you've got to keep at it I suppose 

If you can laminate your cards as well it's a big help makes them waterproof while attached to the fence posts & if you hand them out they dont get trashed as easy if there in someones wallet / van / tractor 👍

That’s why I come on here to get good ideas ,cheers 

33 minutes ago, sam triple said:

I’ve been out this morning too and met the same response as you ,unfortunately I don’t have any cards to leave and a scribbled on bit of paper thru the door doesn’t look good ,it’s a hard slog and a bit dis heartening, but I’ll keep at it 

You can get 100 business cards made for a tenner !

I also have a dedicated email address, which is on my cards.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

As a generally accepted rule, do not ask before 10 o clock, but if people are up and about crack on, be polite and get some ground covered.

Good luck

Just i am clay shooting at a local straw bailer and there a few farms on the way just wondered if it was worth calling 

When going on to a farm to try and get some shooting or anything else for that mater dress smart not combats and a wife beater, have a clean car without kids or dogs and always thank them for their time even if they told you to f off.

If there is a shiny new tractor in the yard don't say " that must of cost a few quid " and if you don't know much about livestock don't say too much about it, nothing will make you look like a **** quicker than saying a cow looks well when they have just rang the knacker man to come and shoot it!

2 minutes ago, bluesj said:

When going on to a farm to try and get some shooting or anything else for that mater dress smart not combats and a wife beater, have a clean car without kids or dogs and always thank them for their time even if they told you to f off.

If there is a shiny new tractor in the yard don't say " that must of cost a few quid " and if you don't know much about livestock don't say too much about it, nothing will make you look like a **** quicker than saying a cow looks well when they have just rang the knacker man to come and shoot it!

Is a clean bmw 530d touring gleaming white ok to rock up in or a l200 bit bruised but is a work horse and more fit to some farm driveways or lanes up to farms

3 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Is a clean bmw 530d touring gleaming white ok to rock up in or a l200 bit bruised but is a work horse and more fit to some farm driveways or lanes up to farms

That would depend on the farm and that you won't know till you get there, turn up on a farm where the farm manager gets given a new discovery every couple years as a farm truck the l200 might look a bit out classed but turn up in the bmw at a farm where the frontline tractor is a massey 135 you are going to look like a flash ***! 😁 Seriously if your l200 is clean, its still l200 shaped and all one colour I can't see it going against you.

Its all about the image you portray, after all the bloke doesn't know you and your asking to wander about his land with a firearm.

4 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Cheers everyone for your reply’s  it is disheartening but when you get home sit in garden with a beer smelling a pork shoulder slow smoking in the wood oven it’s all by the by till the next rejection

Just remember if something is worth doing it is worth waiting for and if everyone just got "permission" easily, lots more shooters would be out there.

I ain’t stopping I have only been out twice with jdog but have really enjoyed it both times and I know it’s something I want to do so I’ll take the knock backs and keep handing them my card am just hoping it happens one day and we can all hope for sooner

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just remember if something is worth doing it is worth waiting for and if everyone just got "permission" easily, lots more shooters would be out there.

I found it helps if you can get to know the local farmers before asking them for permission to shoot. Buy your eggs from them, potatoes, the odd lamb if they kill their own. If you do it regularly you become a familiar face, conversations start, you may even be looked on as a friend. After about thirty years the permissions start opening up.

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

I found it helps if you can get to know the local farmers before asking them for permission to shoot. Buy your eggs from them, potatoes, the odd lamb if they kill their own. If you do it regularly you become a familiar face, conversations start, you may even be looked on as a friend. After about thirty years the permissions start opening up.

Am 44 if it take 30 years to get a perm I am gonna be in the floor I reckon