Trying

Jacko3275

6 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Am 44 if it take 30 years to get a perm I am gonna be in the floor I reckon

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

What I meant was that people, especially farmers, are naturally suspicious of strangers and take a long while before they trust someone.

Β 

If you’re very fortunate you may do it in twenty years. lol

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ finally gets permission to shoot ....can't stand up quick enough to shoot at them ... just salutes them as they pass byΒ 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm luckier than most in that I've been in or around farming in someway all my life and know most of the farmers around here even if just on nodding terms and for a lot of my shooting now the farmers ask me to come, but I've only got a couple of places that I can go any time I like just for a walk round with a gun, but I think the biggest thing in getting and keeping ground to shoot on is being respectful of the farmer and his land!

I've never known a farmer to be offended by a bottle of scotch at Christmas or a quick call to say you up at so and so and the bullocks are outand broken the wire but you have tied the wire up and are trying to get them back in but I have seen them blow their top when a gate is left open or there is a load of empty cartridges and a fag packet in a hedge where someone has been shooting.

Also when one says yes come along and sort out the pigeon or crows etc ask if they have a preference as to what cartridges you use, fibre wad, non toxic etc and if they have use them. Another good idea is to get your self a couple of 5 gallon metal cans and a box of bird scarers then at least if they call one evening and say the pigeons are queuing up to get on the peas and you can't go the next day because your getting married you can at least stop off on the way to the church and do something and that will put you at the top of the list for the next call, most farmers don't care if you shoot 1 or 1000 as long as the crops are saved on the other hand a couple I shoot for tell me to go and put a slab of cartridges on their account every time I go out for them.

@bluesj, good post. Your permissions show exactly what I was trying to tell Jacko. You have been around farming all your life and are now lucky to have two β€˜open’ permissions. Nobody said it would be easy. Been there, done that. Beginners expect far too much.Β 

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

@bluesj, good post. Your permissions show exactly what I was trying to tell Jacko. You have been around farming all your life and are now lucky to have two β€˜open’ permissions. Nobody said it would be easy. Been there, done that. Beginners expect far too much.Β 

I’m asking not expectingΒ 

Edited by Jacko3275

I didn’t mean to refer to you personally jacko, it was a generalisation. Stick at it, we all (mostly) had to go through the same as you. I found knocking on doors asking for open permission to shoot was a complete waste of time. Had far more success if I could say, β€œI understand you own the field on the corner, with whatever crop. I see it’s being hammered by pigeons. Would you give me permission to shoot on there, just for this afternoon, blah, blah?” 

You get the idea. Good luck.

10 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Would it be worth me buying a case of quart bottles of whiskey and taping my card to the bottle and giving the farmer that or is that too much to try and get a perm

No, That is for Christmas time if you are successful, just offer to help sort their problem out. Several years ago round here a chap had secured quite a bit of the available shooting but never went out shooting! The Farmer will want someone he can rely upon when he has the problem.

When I get called, IΒ will get someone out there to address the problem, whether it is me or one of several Mates IΒ can trust who will NOT try to get the "permission" for themselves.

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, That is for Christmas time if you are successful, just offer to help sort their problem out. Several years ago round here a chap had secured quite a bit of the available shooting but never went out shooting! The Farmer will want someone he can rely upon when he has the problem.

When I get called, IΒ will get someone out there to address the problem, whether it is me or one of several Mates IΒ can trust who will NOT try to get the "permission" for themselves.

I finish work at 3 monΒ to thur 2 on a fri and off at weekends on less work needs us in so I can be there more or less every evening through the summer and weekends when ever

Edited by Jacko3275

The thing I found when spending two years knocking on every farm door I passed was that those farmers who said β€œyes” to open permission said β€œyes” to everyone who asked. Consequently, other shooters were wandering about every time I turned up anywhere and there was nothing to shoot on any of the ground.

PS β€˜ThisΒ was in the 1960’s, can’t imagine things have got any better now.

Edited by London Best

17 minutes ago, London Best said:

I didn’t mean to refer to you personally jacko, it was a generalisation. Stick at it, we all (mostly) had to go through the same as you. I found knocking on doors asking for open permission to shoot was a complete waste of time. Had far more success if I could say, β€œI understand you own the field on the corner, with whatever crop. I see it’s being hammered by pigeons. Would you give me permission to shoot on there, just for this afternoon, blah, blah?” 

You get the idea. Good luck.

My garden looks out over fields I see the getting hit by pigeon but the farmers are kinda screwed as it’s an estate where they have 1000 pound shooting days called in to them the other day

Β 

i can hear bangers going of every 30 mins or so but they won’t let anyone shoot on there on less the game keeper allows it apparentlyΒ 

Edited by Jacko3275

12 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m asking not expectingΒ 

I do know someone who had success by leaning on a gate on a foot path looking at a farmers sheep and lambs as the farmer turned up, the farmer ask what he was doing, he said he was out looking for pigeons to then ask for permission to shoot but got distracted by the lambs, said he knew nothing about keeping sheep but just standing watching them in the field made him fell happy. With that he was told to go get he's gun and sort out the pigeon on another part of the farm. So you can get lucky, you drop in at just the right time and your in.

The spring is a good time to ask as loads are happy to go out in the summer when the weather is nice and you stand a better chance of getting big bags but not so keen to be out on the rape when its just above freezing and my only get a chance of a few shots.

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Get to know the estate keepers, manager, owner. Try to become a beater for them. Just get your face known.

Gonna do that this season been clay shooting with the bloke who does fox control for the keeper so need to get my feet more under the table with them and he is allowed a shoot so gonna get on that

5 minutes ago, bluesj said:

I do know someone who had success by leaning on a gate on a foot path looking at a farmers sheep and lambs as the farmer turned up, the farmer ask what he was doing, he said he was out looking for pigeons to then ask for permission to shoot but got distracted by the lambs, said he knew nothing about keeping sheep but just standing watching them in the field made him fell happy. With that he was told to go get he's gun and sort out the pigeon on another part of the farm. So you can get lucky, you drop in at just the right time and your in.

The spring is a good time to ask as loads are happy to go out in the summer when the weather is nice and you stand a better chance of getting big bags but not so keen to be out on the rape when its just above freezing and my only get a chance of a few shots.

I have been clay shooting for fun on the Pennines when the rain was drivingΒ so hard it penetrated my waterproofs so that won’t bother me

Edited by Jacko3275

1 minute ago, Jacko3275 said:

Gonna do that this season been clay shooting with the bloke who does fox control for the keeper so need to get my feet more under the table with them and he is allowed a shoot so gonna get on that

πŸ‘ Good plan, even if the shooting doesn't come straight away you'll probably get a few quid for wandering around the country side, get a few birds for the freezer and a beaters day

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Do you guys have any laws to protect land owners? Β We have the Land Owners Protection act that basically says land owners don’t bare liabilities for hunters on their land. Β Because if they can be held liable for accidents then I could understand why they would say no.Β 

No basically. If some one is on your land you have a duty of care for that person to some level, so if you gave permission to some **** wit who then shoots another person you could well have questions to answer. even if someone was trespassing and had no right to be there you could still come unstuck! Β Β 

5 minutes ago, bluesj said:

No basically. If some one is on your land you have a duty of care for that person to some level, so if you gave permission to some **** wit who then shoots another person you could well have questions to answer. even if someone was trespassing and had no right to be there you could still come unstuck! Β Β 

I just flat out would refuse permission. Β I don’t want to get sued by some widow because her retarded husband shot himself. Or I at least understand why some would say no.Β 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

13 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Do you guys have any laws to protect land owners? Β We have the Land Owners Protection act that basically says land owners don’t bare liabilities for hunters on their land. Β Because if they can be held liable for accidents then I could understand why they would say no.Β 

Not saying the land owner would be in the smelly stuff but they could be.

That is part of the problem new / unknown shooters have

FWIW I think London Best is about on the money advice wiseΒ - meeting farmers without asking permission is far more likely to gain their trust - markets, farm shops etc. Don'tΒ be afraid to start small as one guy who may have little more than a paddock may seem insignificantΒ - mentioning his name and adding that you shoot for him can carryΒ a lot of cloutΒ .Over the last 4 years I have gained over 6K Acres by bumping into farmers whilst out walking the dog - pretty sure that , had I turned up at their door and asked, I would not have been so lucky.

Apart from a couple of the above posts that mention looking for the crops where the pigeons are feeding, all the rest says about leaving cards or knocking on the doors , to tell you the truth , without finding where the pigeons are and just hopping the farmer is going to let a complete stranger to walk around his land with a gun don't stand much of a chance , in fact I would go one better and say no chance .

Put yourself in there position , they might have no crops that attract pigeons and have got a couple of small woods with feeders in or a small release pen , do they honestly want a stranger walking around his land with a gun looking for the odd pigeon to shoot , of course they don't .

Do your homework first by learning about the crops that pigeons are likely to feed on , when they are drilled or planted , when to expect pigeons to show an interest and so on ,Β 

Rape is a good start in the height of the Winter when a lot of people like myself are not that keen in sitting about in the cold weather and the game season finish at the end of January , then keep an eye on when the Spring drilling's are going in such as Peas and grain crops , no point in keeping a eye on Potato's and Sugar beet .

Once you get the go ahead to look after the crop you have asked to shoot over , only go on that crop until you are on friendly terms with the owner and then you can ask if he have got any other crops he would like me to keep an eye on .

Getting large scale permissions take many years but most of them had to start at the beginning and by doing a good job and word of mouth ended up where they are today , if you want anything bad enough you will go out of your way to get , if you just expect farmers to welcome you with open armsΒ  andΒ let you roam about with a gun , I am sorry to say you have got a long wait .

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

@ Marsh Man: Β wot e sed.

i have seen quite a few people buy a gun only to sell it after a few years because they have failed to find somewhere to shoot.

No need to sell up through lack of permissions , mind you , if you live in a large town or city then you stand less chance than if you live in the country where you can keep a eye on what is happening around you . most people are not to far from a shooting club , such as a Wildfowling club or a Pigeon shooting club , although I have very little knowledge in how these Pigeon clubs work as I have never had the need to join one , but I have been a member of a wild fowling club for 50 plus years and found they can open many doors and are very good value for money .Β Β  MM