Crystal Hunting

KB1

I know a great place in the US.  My dad took me when I was about 14.  It was a old ruby mine.  I got in the the creek and started pulling huge red rubies out.  My dad acted excited and we was talking about the sweet car I was going to get with my share.  I pulled half a 5gal bucket of rubies out of that creek that day.  I was going crazy at how rich I was.   We get home and he tells me they are garnets.  (Red crystal that look like rubies but are worthless).  He laughed and laughed.  The miner threw the garnets in the creek and kept the rubies thus leaving millions of garnets crystals laying around the mine.  It’s in Smack *** gap at the base of Chunky Gal mountain in North Carolina.  

26 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I know a great place in the US.  My dad took me when I was about 14.  It was a old ruby mine.  I got in the the creek and started pulling huge red rubies out.  My dad acted excited and we was talking about the sweet car I was going to get with my share.  I pulled half a 5gal bucket of rubies out of that creek that day.  I was going crazy at how rich I was.   We get home and he tells me they are garnets.  (Red crystal that look like rubies but are worthless).  He laughed and laughed.  The miner threw the garnets in the creek and kept the rubies thus leaving millions of garnets crystals laying around the mine.  It’s in Smack *** gap at the base of Chunky Gal mountain in North Carolina.  

Thanks for that….. I'll just go and warm up the jet😳

An Old Grouse moor keeper now gone   took me to a site near Alston, that had been a rifle range from the days of Black powder  we used to find handfulls of rounds, sometimes fused together, I meant to go back with a metal detector to the firing point, as those waiting to fire their rounds would douptless have had the Crown & Anchor going, never did.

3 hours ago, mick miller said:

Not much of a hunt if you've got coordinates.

Really helpful, cheers🙄

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Make one up and take them out looking. 

That's what I did in the end, and ended up finding a few at Kirkstone Pass👍

2 hours ago, Northerner said:

https://ukfossils.co.uk/2004/03/22/high-fell-quarry/

https://ukfossils.co.uk/2004/01/08/barrow/

There are a couple of site but there isnt much, a lot better to search for fossils in places close by. Just watch out for SSSI locations and such.

Much appreciated👍

18 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Many rivers around kilhope and the surrounding area have some nice fluorspar and other crystal in them! 

Thats spooky……. my neighbour was just telling me that I should try there🤔

1 minute ago, figgy said:

The odd earing or necklace along with rings.

Jet at Whitby.  In Cumbria might get the odd two headed fish.

hello, thanks figgy, i know they find Amber on the east coast, out in the far east i often see people picking up stones off the beach, oh and surprised one evening to see a group metal detecting, this was Thailand,