Food mileage

bluesj

Just been reading a thing about the distance our food has to travel  so I worked out my tea has travelled 576 miles. The new potatoes and peas have done 10 miles from my dads garden to home the steak has done 14 miles from farm back to farm and then 5 miles to my place so 29 miles the cider did the rest, breakfast will have done about 19 if it wasn't for the coffee.

So how far has your tea or dinner travelled? 

Worry not? Will all sort itself out very soon?

No diesel transport and no electricity? Aided and abetted by the clowns in parliament in an effort to raise the uk profile in the green arena?

Waiting for the electric powered trucks to be charged up from wind and solar? 

The lunes always seem to adopt unsustainable options and targets for the world stage?

10 hours ago, henry d said:

When you look at the shelves and see Peruvian asparagus, Kenyan vegetables, chicken from Asia, it's appalling that we import from these countries rather than eat seasonally

Why is it appalling? It is efficient and environmentally friendly. It is allowing someone to feed their family

1 hour ago, wildrover77 said:

Why is it appalling? It is efficient and environmentally friendly. It is allowing someone to feed their family

They could feed themselves too, but like palm oil, farmed prawns etc. it all adds to the pollution or direct destruction of the ecosystem/planet

9 hours ago, henry d said:

They could feed themselves too, but like palm oil, farmed prawns etc. it all adds to the pollution or direct destruction of the ecosystem/planet

This is absolute nonsense. The countires that are felling native forest are doing what we did hundereds of years ago to bring forest, moor,  wold, heath into agricultural production. They are feeding themeselves by producing a good which they are efficient at and trading it with a customer same as everyone else in the world. Why do you want people in the third wolrd to live as substince farmers?  You are no doubt typing your posts on Chinese made technology with materials imported from all over the world, including rare earth metals dug up by slave labour in Africa. If you are truley worried about impact on the environement rather than making profund statements go and live in a wood like a stonage man.

I planted a food forest in my front yard.  I had about 25 fruit trees planted to block the view of my house from the road.  I have chickens, and I do a big garden.  I lost a few of my trees from a helicopter crash though. I am going to plant some more when they go on sale.  That fire retardant foam kills trees and shrubs FYI.