Shooting in the Cooling Rain

Had a call om Wednesday to thin out the corvids feeding on the lambs feeders, it was stinking hot and set up in the shade and shooting by 10.00. The flightline was between two other farms so I was tucked under the edge of some tall poplars which was great as I would see the shadow of the birds on the grass infront of me and look up as they passed over above me. When I had shot fifty I stopped putting them out as decoys and they kept coming. When the sun moved round and was in my face I called it a day at 15.00 and picked up 102. So great result started with nothing and ended up with 102.On the way home had a look for Saturday and could not find a bird to shoot.

Saturday, started out at 09.00 and headed out to the edge of our permissions and looked for birds on barley or wheat. After and hour we had found one wheat field with blow holes no birds and one barley field which was down but no birds on it. We contacted the farmer and he was at the local show but said that it was shot yesterday but the guy gave up as it was too hot, help yourself. Now if it was shot yesterday we would not normally look at it until next week. Now as it was still early and taking JDogs advice of going out later DB decided to go and get a Bacon Butty. We watched it and a few birds started to go in at the top of the field so we went down wind and looked at the other end of the field and found the previous shooters hide position which was the place we would have chosen being on the edge of a bank of trees and with a large hole in front. This would allow us to shoot the blow hole and also bird coming up the the trees and drop them on the edge of the field or the grass behind us. 

We were set up for 11.00 with ten  stand ups on cradles in the blow hole and the magnet with two birds under the trees in a small hole, this was just for a bit of movement to attract the birds. We were all hot and bothered with the humid conditions and then it began to drizzle which was devine. We shot till 17.30 and eventuallt picked up One Hundred and eightythree birds ( 174 in the picture) and others we left as to retrieve would cause more damage.

100-3406.jpg

102 Corvids
100-3408.jpg

174 Pigeons 183 total pick up

12 minutes ago, JDog said:

I showed my wife your report, my response and your reply and she simply said ‘It’s the volume of birds’.

Very true, we have lots of barley in the area and this is the only local field that is laid, the flightline to the field was continuous. The previous shooter only shot for an hour or so and gave up so did not scare to many over the day. The location of the field also helps as its between a very old estate with very old mature woodland and on the other side more post war conifer plantations.

So Linny was spot on and you should take her advice more often perhaps??