Gun shops

Nearest to you would be Greenfields of Canterbury, Sturry Hill, Sturry. CT2 0NG.

From Whitstable, take the A299 towards Margate, then the A291 signposted to Herne and Canterbury. Greenfields is on the right as you drive towards the bottom of Sturry Hill. They are closed on Mondays.

OB

If it's lots and lots of guns and gear you want to browse then Countryways as mentioned is the place, they also do lots of shells at good prices, depending on whether you mind making a bit of a road trip of it Chris Potter in Tunbridge Wells is 32 miles away but it's all through pretty countryside and they have a slightly more upmarket feel and decor with tons to see. 

Greenfields is closest but they're quite a small outfit and have been for years since they moved from their original city centre spot 20+ years ago but what they lack they make up for in having a huge multi stand ESP layout where customers can try guns before purchase and Scott who is a AAA shot himself knows his stuff. If it's friendly service you're after with zero probability of arrogance then McDonalds is on route through to Canterbury itself which for me remains one of the prettiest places on earth. 

I personally think a lot of the "arrogance" talk is a carry over from their olden days when their vast shop mainly catered for the side by side game boys and their then habit of marking everything up at rrp. I'm in there every week and have never witnessed rudeness from the staff to anyone. 

59 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

That's loads of space, in Bristol one gun shop has the side streets for parking, Avalon in Somerset has 5 spaces then the main highstreet for parking.. You're spoilt with 150 spaces haha

I forgot to even mention they have a log cabin where you can have hot food and bottled beer. 

My mental images of a UK gun shop.   High class place with leather wing back chairs and glass door oak cabinets.  The owner would be a man named Charles.  He would wear a pith helmet and walk with a limp from tiger attack in South Asia.  And for some reason I imagine a fire place burning 365 days a year.  Please tell me this is correct.  

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

My mental images of a UK gun shop.   High class place with leather wing back chairs and glass door oak cabinets.  The owner would be a man named Charles.  He would wear a pith helmet and walk with a limp from tiger attack in South Asia.  And for some reason I imagine a fire place burning 365 days a year.  Please tell me this is correct.  

I am sure that sort of place exists, but it is far from typical.

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

You pretty much describe Westley Richards place, until you got to the pith helmet.

53 minutes ago, London Best said:

You pretty much describe Westley Richards place, until you got to the pith helmet.

Lol,  my other mental image is a guy named Nigel that has a store in the basement of a Chinese takeout place.  No windows just a metal door.  Walk in and a under a flickering fluorescent light you tell him what you want.  You pay cash and leave.  

You may also be interested in Ashford Gun Room just outside Ashford, the guys in there are very friendly and helpful.

Or a bit closer to where you are staying is  Kent Gunsmiths at Seasalter and although I have not had a chance to make a visit there yet reports are they are also friendly and helpful.

Going the other way towards Thanet is Wilson and Wilson next to Manston airport. There are a few others dotted around that a quick trip on Google will show up as well.

7 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Nope,most nowadays are featureless ,forgettable and staffed by youths who know zilch about guns and could be selling any sort of commodity.....

19 hours ago, matone said:

Nope,most nowadays are featureless ,forgettable and staffed by youths who know zilch about guns and could be selling any sort of commodity.....

Well I’ve had the opposite end of the age spectrum and they still know zilch.. a recent e.g.

“I only stock the best centrefire ammo”

”oh what manufactures do you stock?” 

”only Winchester, all the others are a gimmick” 

“okaaaay” 

.door closes