Persistence pays off!

motty

I had no idea where I might end up shooting today. I was hoping that a barley field might have been cut yesterday, but it wasn't. Jules phoned me to say that he had found a lot of pigeons on some flat barley. He described where the field was. I didn't have permission, but I was fairly certain who to phone to try to gain it. Trouble was, this farmer has refused me twice before - and the last time was only just over a couple of months ago. So, imagine my surprise and delight when he said "if you want to go and blast them, go ahead".

I met Jules at the field at 9am this morning. The signs looked good. A few pigeons were coming and dropping in. The wind was in a favourable direction. The size of the flat patch also looked good. I reckon a 50x200yard strip is flat down one side. We chose a suitable place along this area. With a simple hide and just a magnet deployed, we set to work.

We had a nice trickle of decoying birds straight away. I started with a nice pair. Jules was shooting well. Then the rain started. I marched back to the truck to get the brolly, getting thoroughly soaked trousers in the process.  This turned out to be a good move, though, as it rained for most of the day.

Once again, I missed some birds that the old me would not have missed. Jules had the edge over me today. I think I shot more pairs, but he got the only triple. Overall I think we shot ok.

It was evident that a lot of birds are still in the area. Flocks could be seen lifting on the field over the road, and further in the distance. Pigeons are certainly not in decline there.

We knew we would pick most of the birds, as the flat patch was one of the best I have shot on. With 3 dogs working, it was made easier still.

We killed over 200, but picked 184. An enjoyable day. Hopefully the farmer is suitably impressed, and will extend the permission further.

barley2019.jpg

Great result for the both of you Wayne well shot.

I have not been shooting this weekend but i have seen lots of pigeons on the move and some big bags posted both here and on social media, so i agree numbers are certainly not declining and looking very promising indeed.👍

1 hour ago, JDog said:

For those with either no permissions or not very many please note. If Motty can sweet talk a farmer then anyone can.

Someone needs to tidy their garage.

2 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Brilliant report of and honest day's shooting. Permission refusal should never be accepted , as conditions will and can alter opinion from the farmer. The rain did not dampen your enthusiasm for a days crop protection. 

Its nice to see that " lived in " look in the garage.

The garage tidy is on my to-do list.

A good report and an even better bag , well done to the boys up north , as Mr JDog said about obtaining the permission after previous refusal's , find the field where pigeons are doing the damage and keep asking , even if you are allowed only the one go , at least you have got the first foot on the ladder and in Motty's case he wont have any trouble to go on that farm in the future .