22 hornet

Dellbert

Far from worthless but not a very popular calibre in my experience and expensive to feed.

I have a couple on the shelf and they are amongst the dustiest guns in the shop, rarely even picked up.

Fills a specific set of requirements but easily overlooked for other calibres.

Edd

.22 Hornets are a little bit like double fourtens. Folk that have them may not use them very much but they will never part with them.

mine is a BRNO ZKW465 from 1958, groups on a drawing pin at 100 yds and is deadly on foxes up to 200yds. Not for sale.

lots of people these days buy larger, more modern calibres for fox.

I can’t comment on ammo prices as I have never ever bought any Hornet ammo, but I reckon I load them for about the same price as a regular shotgun cartridge. 

Edited by London Best

Ruger No 1. For fox out to a comfortable 200 yards - I for one can't see any further at night with a lamp anyway - the one shot is all you need. As hinted at above, spend little on a good rifle, but get some quality dies, reload and watch the smile grow. But, please keep it quiet or people will twig and the price will rocket.

It really depends WHY the gun shop said it was worthless. Maybe he wants it for nowt? Maybe the barrel is scrap? Maybe something else wrong? Or perhaps he may think it will be hard to sell on. My local gun shop, a friend of mine, says all SBS shotguns are worthless. He wouldn’t give you ten Bob for a Purdey. 

One thing for sure.........that rfd has never used a Hornet!

1 minute ago, London Best said:

It really depends WHY the gun shop said it was worthless. Maybe he wants it for nowt? Maybe the barrel is scrap? Maybe something else wrong? Or perhaps he may think it will be hard to sell on. My local gun shop, a friend of mine, says all SBS shotguns are worthless. He wouldn’t give you ten Bob for a Purdey. 

One thing for sure.........that rfd has never used a Hornet!

Well its a snobby shop and the gun shoots fine  probably not seen 500 rounds through it , the guy is well in his 80's

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

See if you can get to shoot it perhaps? If it’s any good, one shot and you’re hooked!!

What make?

i have but i havent got the space and funds are down after buying an Accuracy International for range use ....

22 Hornet Brno Fox Mod 2

3 SILVER boxes of Winchester Super X46 GRAIN HOLLOW POINT
2 WHITE boxes of Winchester Super X 46 GRAIN HOLLOW POINT
3 boxes of Winchester Super X 45 GRAIN SOFT POINT

73 new primed ppu cases

Set of Lee dies in 22 hornet used to load 30 rounds max

so whats it all worth  ?

screw cut but no mod     no rings  no scope 

screw cut     but no mod  no rings either .

I THINK that’s the model that replaced mine, sometime early sixties. Mine groups factory Winchester stuff between an inch and a bit more. I used 45 grn Sierra handloads for twenty five years, grouping under a inch, but 35grn V max over Lil’gun powder is an eye opener and gives 3000fps.

Value-wise I don’t really know. I paid £190 for mine in 1995 but that has nowt to do with the present price of fish. I would see how much a new CZ costs today an pay 50-60% of that.

31 minutes ago, London Best said:

I THINK that’s the model that replaced mine, sometime early sixties. Mine groups factory Winchester stuff between an inch and a bit more. I used 45 grn Sierra handloads for twenty five years, grouping under a inch, but 35grn V max over Lil’gun powder is an eye opener and gives 3000fps.

Value-wise I don’t really know. I paid £190 for mine in 1995 but that has nowt to do with the present price of fish. I would see how much a new CZ costs today an pay 50-60% of that.

i wont be buying it he wants £350 for the lot ... is that cheap

17 minutes ago, barrelsniffer said:

Had my Ruger 22H quite a few yrs and unfortunately had it sitting in the cabinet a few yrs, then one day took it out and was glad i did, very underestimated calibre, now use it often where i can't use my other rifles.

1 in 14 twist rate? If so, have you tried a 50g SPSX for fox. I have no magazine so just have to take into account the chamber size and a mag might just make this bullet a no go.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:23, London Best said:

.22 Hornets are a little bit like double fourtens. Folk that have them may not use them very much but they will never part with them.

mine is a BRNO ZKW465 from 1958, groups on a drawing pin at 100 yds and is deadly on foxes up to 200yds. Not for sale.

lots of people these days buy larger, more modern calibres for fox.

I can’t comment on ammo prices as I have never ever bought any Hornet ammo, but I reckon I load them for about the same price as a regular shotgun cartridge. 

I have one of those with double set trigger. I had it re-barrelled as I bought it with a burned out barrel in .17AH. I have a tidy stock not being used as I restocked it too.