Computer advice needed please.

walshie

I've got loads of music albums on my desktop computer, all stored as mp3 or wmv files. I load a few albums onto a memory stick and play them in the truck. Last week when I did this, I noticed some of the albums had tracks "missing".

Looking on the computer, all the tracks are still in the albums, but some won't play any more. Looking at the properties of the tracks that won't play, the title and artist is still there, but all the other information is missing. There isn't rhyme or reason for this as it's only the odd track missing from some albums and not others. I've tried playing them in various music players, but none will have it. 

Any ideas what would cause this and how it can be solved as re-ripping them would be a real drag. 

Cheers.

Edited by walshie

1 minute ago, Munzy said:

Very strange!

If the files on the computer are no longer working it sounds like they have been corrupted somehow.

If you look at the properties of a working and non-working file are the sizes roughly the same?

Yep similar size whether they work or not. As you can see from the properties tab, the name of the song is still there (at the top) but everything else is missing, but not editable like it is on "usable" mp3s.

MP3.png.f770dd16f46830f1995605b426d8f6dc.png

11 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Used to get this problem if files where downloaded or transferred to quickly or try to copy too many files at once 

These have been on the computer for at least 2 years with no problems till just recently. 

how did you get the Music files ? Ripped them from a cd ? Downloaded them ?

Have you updated anything on the pc recently? That could have updated your music library and possibly removed duplicates?

finally I suggest search the hard disk for the name of the track could something gave copied the tracks into a different format and stored these somewhere else ?

ps the info in the details tab is held in file metadata apple products have a tendency to overwrite these have you installed iTunes recently?

atb Agriv8 

22 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

how did you get the Music files ? Ripped them from a cd ? Downloaded them ?

Have you updated anything on the pc recently? That could have updated your music library and possibly removed duplicates?

finally I suggest search the hard disk for the name of the track could something gave copied the tracks into a different format and stored these somewhere else ?

ps the info in the details tab is held in file metadata apple products have a tendency to overwrite these have you installed iTunes recently?

atb Agriv8 

Ripped from CDs over the years. I don't have any Apple products. I'll try looking elsewhere on the disc as you suggested though. :good:

1 hour ago, Jacko3275 said:

Used to get this problem if files where downloaded or transferred to quickly or try to copy too many files at once 

Same. When ripping from a cd through Windows media player on 7 or xp. Hell it used to copy the jumpy bits on the tracks where the cd was scratched. It's mental listing to a Mp3 that's jumpy 😅

21 hours ago, walshie said:

Fortunate Son by CCR? Heathen. 

Excellent taste of music imo 👍

Only thing i can think off is maybe a windows update, which has screwed your library. My main problem has always been not having the tracks in order, or the albums split up due to supporting artists. Can be a right **** to sort at times.