One for the sparks please

Old Boggy

I wish to change one of my double socket outlets for one to include two USB ports for charging phones, ipads etc.

However, I`ve seen them with the USB ports rated between 2.1A up to 4.2A.

Why the difference ? Is this purely to charge quicker and does the higher amperage have any detrimental effect to the phones battery life ?

Be gentle with me, my knowledge of electrics, the technical stuff anyway, is pretty limited.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

OB

3 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

I would also say check the depth of your back box as the USB part protrudes back a fair way and if you have slim back boxes or wiring entering from the top it may not fit

Good point. I`ve got the deeper back box but It does enter from the top. May have to rethink that one.

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, Swinton said:

http://www.usbeautiful.co.uk/faq

this gives a few answers 

Thanks, that does answer my query, but ph5172 has raised a good point regarding the top entry wiring. Perhaps find a DSO with bottom entry wiring that`s convenient elsewhere in the house.

Many thanks for your replies.

OB

15 minutes ago, Westward said:

I recently replaced 4 double sockets with twin 3.1A USBs bought from Screwfix. These were all top entry into standard 25mm boxes and went in with no issues at all.

That’s interesting. My preferred socket outlet has top entry so will try that one first.

Many thanks.

Edited by Old Boggy

If they are shallow boxes set in a stud wall - it may be possible to drop in deeper boxes.  I have done this where I have replaced a 'fused spur switch' with a 'fused spur timer switch' (controlling a heated towel rail from outside the bathroom).  In my case the deeper box dropped in easily as they are front mounted.

Things with a bigger battery (like iPads) can make use of the greater charge current to charge more quickly.  Phones (as far as I know) can't as they are limited in the current they draw to protect the battery.

Edited by JohnfromUK

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Phones (as far as I know) can't as they are limited in the current they draw to protect the battery.

That's correct. Maximum current flow in a circuit is determined by the load, in this case the phone, and not by the source - provided the source can deliver sufficient current. Unfortunately, most of the chargers supplied with phones are under powered and thus take ages to charge the phone.

23 minutes ago, Westward said:

That's correct. Maximum current flow in a circuit is determined by the load, in this case the phone, and not by the source - provided the source can deliver sufficient current. Unfortunately, most of the chargers supplied with phones are under powered and thus take ages to charge the phone.

cheapo chargers usually have a lead that is too long and too thin (high resistance) . using a short/quality  lead really helps