Best magnet

oowee

UKSW in my opinion. Not the cheapest but I’ve had one of their lightweight models for over 15 years, used probably once a week with no issues whatsoever.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. I am not sure if there is such a thing as a `best one`.

If you want a lightweigt version with slim line motor, telescopic arms, a telescopic mounting system so the magnet can be raised up above standing crops, the prices creep up to around £160 - £170. I believe there are now versions with a remote where the magnet can be swtched off & on from 30 - 40 yards away.

In my opinion they can get over used to the extent birds become wary of them. I am on my second one, as my basic version purchased from A1 Decoys about 7 or 8 years ago had fixed length arms which were a pain getting into / out of the car; in addition it was a fixed height model. I flogged that to a shooting mate and bought another (£55) that had telescopic arms and the height can also be adjusted.

In the light I am always prepared to stop using it if birds seem wary of coming in, the top end spec ones at £160 seem a luxury I can do without.

I have 3 bouncer poles that I use with `Hypa-Flaps` and providing there is a bit of breeze to get them going, I will often use them to provide some movement in the pattern rather than lugging a magnet and battery if I have a bit of a walk to get to my chosen position.

A1 Decoy and UK Shoot Warehouse both do a good range, depends what you are prepared to spend and how often you intend using it.

Well I have 2 , both cheap ones and they do the job (about £60 each) ones is around 20 years old and still going strong. They both have telescopic arms and height adjustment. I cant comment on the expensive one, but my cheap ones have done the job for me without any problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a rotary that really is heavy duty!! I have 4 magnets all with broken foot plates. I have to hammer them into the hard ground with a 2lb clump hammer . I go 3-4 times a week, it’s the same with hide poles ! Everything made from monkey metal!! Come on manufacturers , never mind the lightweight **** let’s have a proper one! Please 

Just get about 18" of 1/2" steel rod, sharpen a spike at one end and weld about 5" of strong steel tube that your magnet spike fits snugly  along the other. Belt that into the ground and put the centre spike of your magnet in it and give the whole lot a light tap to  stop the magnet from spinning in this mount. Longer ones with a stop to prevent the magnet rotating are handy on tall crops.

• 5 months later...

I bought one of the original magnets direct from Phil Beasley from his barn where they were made in Bicester when he first brought them out. It was a four arm jobbie, (2 long arms and 2 short ones) built to last and was still in good working order when I sold it last year. But by God, was it heavy. It must be about 24 years old , as I think that he brought them out in 1996.

OB

My friend’s lightweight extendable magnet had its motor burn out within 12 months, we had been on 8 trips. (Manufacturer withheld as I didn’t deal with them so cannot confirm the authenticity of their response.) The teeth on the gears were worn out. He called manufacture, it was a couple of days out of warranty and “not meant for the use of dead birds”.... He bought a heavy cheap one from eBay (out of season) that is brilliant - £40. Compared to the batteries, the magnet’s weight is inconsequential - but maybe ask me that again in 40 years and I’ll have changed my opinion!