"im mainly" future project

ditchman

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

nooooo you wally :lol:

when you have caught a fish...you need 2 hands to hold it and unhook it.....so as not to tangle your rod and line up in the foliage ...you jab it in the ground...and hey presto...both hands free ..

Live and learn every day on these threads. 

On 10/07/2019 at 16:56, ditchman said:

anyone want a go at i dentifing the maker of this rod ?

i belive the so called patent number is 6516

strange rods 004tn_.JPG

strange rods 005tn_.JPG

strange rods 006tn_.JPG

strange rods 007tn_.JPG

strange rods 008tn_.JPG

strange rods 009tn_.JPG

strange rods 010tn_.JPG

strange rods 011tn_.JPG

strange rods 012tn_.JPG

strange rods 013tn_.JPG

went onto another "purist" fly fishing web site.........and the owner of the site forwarded me details after he had contacted the Patents office..........

the fitting of the rod were made by Allcocks of Redditch...and supplied to the upmarket trade makers who then turned it into an expensive rod of the time......the little eyelets on the furrells were a hang back to earlier times when the rods were whipped together at the beginning of the season and left like that until fishing finished..........

the Patent number.........ran from 1885 to 1899.......so the rod is from that time.............the owner of the site dosnt know of any other rod that has beem stamped engraved with feathers....(and he has over 150 from that time in his collection) ..as to say it is very very unusual , and he is doing further research on engraved rods ..to try and track down the maker.............

The leather covering on the grip facinated me.  I have handled a few old rods both salmon and trout but never seen anything like that.  Has to be a custom rod maker but there were a fair few back then.  Actually catalogued about sixty rods of the early 1900s onwards for a gentleman who had a stroke and his wife asked me to arrange the sale of, but non bore any resemblance although they where all top quality makers.  He also had over 50 first edition books on fishing, amazing man but tragic as well.

Edited by Walker570

The tip tube.............

i should have taken some pics ...before i started...the tube being 120 years old was a write off....6 cracks in it from 1/4" to 1/2" wide and the tube was bent as well..........so i chucked 

it in a container of water for 3 days  :w00t:

which by the 3rd day did the trick...cracks were nearly closed...so whilst it was still wet i put 12 jubillee clips on it and tightened them up whilst it was still soaking ..a little bit for another 2 days...........then i took it out....tightened the clips right up and poured 10 kettles of boiling water it it one after the other...then left it to dry...for 3 days....released the clips and the cracks opened up about 2 mm......:yahoo:

lathered a load of epoxy in the cracks and gently clipped them shut.....left for anther 2 days......then started to clean it up  (see below)

i havnt taken out all the marks as they are its history.....i shall give it a light sand then mix up a little stain with boiled linseed oil and apply later ....will post it up when i have re-charged the camera battery

hope its not too boring

ditch

tip box 001tn_.JPG

tip box 002tn_.JPG

tip box 003tn_.JPG

tip box 004tn_.JPG

tip box 005tn_.JPG

tip box 006tn_.JPG

tip box 007tn_.JPG

tip box 008tn_.JPG

tip box 009tn_.JPG

tip box 010tn_.JPG

tip box 011tn_.JPG

tip box 012tn_.JPG

tip box 013tn_.JPG

tip box 014tn_.JPG

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fascinating Mate, had it cracked through drying out or was it just age and neglect?

it had totally dried out...................i hadnt seen it for 30 years....if it had been somewhere cooler it would have been ok.....thats why im going to treat it as a gun stock....so the wood stays alive..............bamboo is loverly to work but it blunts tools quick as ive been told the wood contains silica....:hmm:

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it had totally dried out...................i hadnt seen it for 30 years....if it had been somewhere cooler it would have been ok.....thats why im going to treat it as a gun stock....so the wood stays alive..............bamboo is loverly to work but it blunts tools quick as ive been told the wood contains silica....

Bamboo is a grass and grass contains silica.

all oiled up now......and cleaned the verdigris of the brasswork............the other day i took the butt spear point and de-rusted it and re-blued it back to its original colour.......i shall now recoat the tube with oil for a few days then wrap and pack everything up...and will do the woodwork on the rods and eyes when i am in my new place in about a years time....

what i will have to look for now is a old original centre pin reel (brass proberly) to go with the rod about 1900-1920ish...they are about ...will just have to keep my eye out...

ditch

tip t oiled 001tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 002tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 003tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 004tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 005tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 006tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 007tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 008tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 009tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 010tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 011tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 012tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 013tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 014tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 015tn_.JPG

tip t oiled 016tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely a nice old reel will be quite expensive?

they range from £4000.00 down to £50 quid..........all depends on the maker and the model............there is a beaut' on e-bay for "buy it now" for £60.00...every bit as nice as a Hardy...or Westly Richards

did you know Hardy also made shotguns ?

Edited by ditchman