Rabbit pen

We went to one in the Cotswolds some years ago, nice rabbit pen, Estate based, the ******* trainer advocated kicking the dogs to get them to settle down and obey, if you meet the **** please kick him up the **** and give him my regards. The dogs came out of there absolutely petrified and no, we didn't take his advice, that kind of thing can ruin a dog for life.

8 minutes ago, martinj said:

We went to one in the Cotswolds some years ago, nice rabbit pen, Estate based, the ******* trainer advocated kicking the dogs to get them to settle down and obey, if you meet the **** please kick him up the **** and give him my regards. The dogs came out of there absolutely petrified and no, we didn't take his advice, that kind of thing can ruin a dog for life.

Who was it? 

1 hour ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Anyone know of a trainer in the Gloucestershire/Worcestershire are that has a rabbit pen?

Thanks

Geoff Shore in Bristol. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Has Oli got a rabbit pen do you know Lloyd?

No not atm rabbits thin on the ground. 

I drove hour and half down to Nick Gregory and he had 10 in his and said they’re struggling to get any, said he normally had 70+ in his big pen. 

My dog got the odd flush but he really worked for it!

22 hours ago, B725 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but would a lot of rabbits be too much especially for a young dog, surely better just a few so the dog has to work to find one. 

Depends on the type of terrain in the pen, and what you want the dog for? 

Nick trials and has won the cocker champs, his dog was good in the pen worked flat out. However his pen had very high grass and lots of cover, so even with lots of rabbits once flushed it only goes 2-3 yards and it’s disappeared again. 

The dog hunts for a bit, boom gets a flush. 

Hunts for a bit, gets a flush. 

Take it to a trial it probably comes out thinking it’s about to get a flush and hunts very rapidly. The judge may only see it for a short spell so it needs to be impressive in that time. 👍🏻