Detachable 410 choke?

Dazv

Hi all

would anyone happen to know if you can get slip on 410 chokes? I've seen adjustable chokes that look like they slip over the barrel is that the case? The chap at the shop told be my 410 was 1/2 choke when I bought it so would like a cheap way to tighten the pattern up.

thanks guys Darren 

1 hour ago, Dazv said:

Hi all

would anyone happen to know if you can get slip on 410 chokes? I've seen adjustable chokes that look like they slip over the barrel is that the case? The chap at the shop told be my 410 was 1/2 choke when I bought it so would like a cheap way to tighten the pattern up.

thanks guys Darren 

Dont think so, seen adjustable chokes on older mossberg pumps, which you twist back and forth but nothing that could be removed to leave a standard barrel. I'd presume it would have a slight lip internally, and putting force against that I'm sure would make it fly off. I might be wrong, sure others will know more on here 

Edited by strimmer_13

The 410 is notoriously choke sensitve (i.e. becomes overchoked and pattern degrades with increasing choke due to the small bore and relatively large pellet size) and at the ranges you shoot with it (25 to 30 yards), full choke is generally a hinderance as it limis the spread requiring more accurate shooting, instead drop the shot size to 7 or 7.5 to get pattern density if that is what you are after. As a result of the choke sensitivity, I suspect a slip on choke (if one were obtainable) would be worse than useless.

Borrow or buy a digital caliper and measure the last inch of the bore to get the actual size, if it is between 0.398 to 0.395, my advice would be to leave it alone but pattern it with various cartridges to establish which works best  in your gun, if you have a 3 inch chamber Eley or Fiocchi 18g normally work fine, especially if you get hold of the No 7 or No7.5.

At 35 yards, half choke prints the pattern at a spread of 38inch compared to a full choke at 40 yards (40 inch), see spread chart below in inches

image.png.8d320917df150ee88ad61c3355564ba4.png

The attached photo is a pattern from an Eley No 7 at 35yards with Briley Light Mod - 1/4 choke equivilent -  Tube (0.398), giving a 67% pattern which is equivilent to a theoritical 1/4 choke , 0.395 (briley Half) was almost exactly the same pellet number but distribution was more patchy, so again 1/4 choke equivilent, the 0.392 (briliey improved Mod) was 10% less pellets in pattern and the pattern was spraying randomly (somewher between IC and 1/4), and whilst this was from my gun, the tighter choke was not helping.

No7_18g_BLM_35yds.JPG

My best advice for .410 

Is buy a slab of nsi 19 grm no6 .

Im killing pigeons out to 35 yds stone dead with them (1/2 choke ) 

These are a 2.7 mm pellet so equivalent to a uk 5.5 .

Or failing that .gamebores .410 hunting -

16 grm no6. 

These are also excellent. Great out to 30 yds. 

Forget your choke go shoot the gun and have fun. 

Both my fourtens are English SBS doubles and both have 65mm chambers and very little choke. Both right barrels are imp cyl and one left is nearly half choke. My maximum load is half ounce (14grm). I use small shot to keep the pattern dense, never larger than English 7’s for stuff as big as pheasants, smaller if I have it for smaller birds. Even 9’s are effective on pigeon and crows to at least 30 yards because of the pattern.  I shot 78 crows one morning with 14grm 9’s. Forget trying to shoot at 12 bore ranges with a .410. Forget big shot and stop worrying about choke. Just enjoy the little guns for what they are.

54 minutes ago, Dazv said:

Thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated. Also thanks for the cartridge suggestions, anyone know of a good 410 sub? 

No there arent any good subsonic .410 loads. 

The only difference subsonic loads make is they dont kill as well .

1 hour ago, Dazv said:

Thanks for all the advice guys much appreciated. Also thanks for the cartridge suggestions, anyone know of a good 410 sub? 

The Eley Magnum is available in subsonic but to be honest, the standard cartridge is almost as quiet and a lot easier to get hold of.