A-Tec Mod Split

J90GUN

9 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Bit of araldite, be good as new 😋

How old is it, warranty? 

Not sure on the age, it was proofed just before I bought it with the gun off a mate of mine. It had some what looked like clamp marks on it when it came back from proofing with the gun.  Probably had maybe 50/60 rounds through it since then. 

Ive the same Mod on my .243, hope its not a common issue with these. 

Will open it up later and have a look see, i mean the shot found its mark so I don’t think its struck the inside or anything like that, just pressure/heat cycle related I think 

A21A5557-66DA-4D9C-B17F-C89D06735470.jpeg

55 minutes ago, J90GUN said:

Not sure on the age, it was proofed just before I bought it with the gun off a mate of mine. It had some what looked like clamp marks on it when it came back from proofing with the gun.  Probably had maybe 50/60 rounds through it since then. 

Ive the same Mod on my .243, hope its not a common issue with these. 

Will open it up later and have a look see, i mean the shot found its mark so I don’t think its struck the inside or anything like that, just pressure/heat cycle related I think 

Why did it need to be proofed ? Surely it cant be that old , unless its being used for something it wasnt designed for ?

And clamp marks ?
Somethings not right here, mods dont just burst during normal use.
Does it say on it that its rated to .243 ?

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would get straight on to the UK importer of these Mods and see what they say, send a photo, it may be metal fatigue or a bad design, 

Their get out clause is going to be those very obvious clamp marks right next to where it split IMHO.
Plus if it were common, surely they would recall or make it known they were defective, such an incident could cause very serious injury.

29 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Why did it need to be proofed ? Surely it cant be that old , unless its being used for something it wasnt designed for ?

And clamp marks ?

It was proofed with the rifle as the rifle had been screw cut and legally to sell on it has to be proofed, is my understanding. This was on my 22-250 not the .243 I just have the same mod on that. 

The clamp marks look like its been held and twisted more a scratch mark. I sore the gun before it went off and that mark wasn’t there .  I have heard may tales of the proofing chaps being very heavy handed with stuff. 

In regards to use It was snugly nipped up on the barrel, the shot taken hit its mark and there were no obvious noise differences  or other oddities. Also shooting factory Winchester loads.  

Will open it up this evening and have a look inside see if it tells me anything. 

Edited by J90GUN

38 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Their get out clause is going to be those very obvious clamp marks right next to where it split IMHO.
Plus if it were common, surely they would recall or make it known they were defective, such an incident could cause very serious injury.

hello, you maybe right, not your typical scratch marks more like a clamping tool was used, more than likely done with the proof house or who ever if it was a suggested okay before, going to have to be a new mod, i would consider a different make.  

On 09/07/2019 at 09:40, Rewulf said:

And clamp marks ?

Faulty mods burst during normal use. I had one disintegrate when I sent a 58 Grain .243 round down it...my hearing knew about it for a few days. Im not going to name and shame as the company sorted things out really well but it wasnt much fun. Killed the fox I was shooting out so not due to misalignment or bullet strike, just the result of pressure and some defect in the mod. The mod was less then 4 months old and hadnt been used much. I have a triton 50 mod at the moment. The base is proofed for .338 and the baffle section for .243..

14 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Oh dear !
Just never heard of one going up before without a bullet hitting a collapsed baffle or something.

Scared the poop out of me thats for sure. I found half of the front section but never the other half....The ironic thing was that this one replaced one that had flame eroded and collapsed...just as a bullet was going through it...I was starting to dislike sound mods at this point but no issues since then (touch wood). 

8 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Scared the poop out of me thats for sure. I found half of the front section but never the other half....The ironic thing was that this one replaced one that had flame eroded and collapsed...just as a bullet was going through it...I was starting to dislike sound mods at this point but no issues since then (touch wood). 

:lol:

*Rewulf looks suspiciously at his old rusty P8....