Shooting Passion Level

KB1

I'm 58 this year, and I've been shooting (Mainly Rough & Clay) for as long as I can remember.  Of late however, my guns haven't seen the light of day (Apart from the odd cleaning spree) for at least 6 months.  Sometimes this is because I'm too busy with other stuff, but mostly because the passion just isn't there anymore……..  

Question to PW members:  On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you say your shooting passion level is?

Mine is currently about 3😥

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a 5 out of 10.  Went and shot the 200 Sportrap at Orston when I wasn't in the mood as I'd booked  weeks earlier. That just put me off even though I shot well at a reopened local ground the day after.  At times I don't have the passion, then it returns and I enjoy it again.  I don't go round as many registered shoots like I was a few years ago. I shoot to enjoy myself and try and do well but not beating myself up about it if I don't score as I think I should have. 

Having good grounds local helps, but only if they change the targets. Nothing puts me off more that same old same old week after week.

Edited by figgy

Since I lost my dog two months ago, I can’t bring myself to go out after pigeons, it just would not be the same without him by my side.

However, I will always be interested in shooting and love to follow what other people are up to.

I still have a passion for shooting squirrels and rats with the air riffles though.

Time is a great healer, so I will see how I feel in a few more months.

1 hour ago, KB1 said:

I'm 58 this year, and I've been shooting (Mainly Rough & Clay) for as long as I can remember.  Of late however, my guns haven't seen the light of day (Apart from the odd cleaning spree) for at least 6 months.  Sometimes this is because I'm too busy with other stuff, but mostly because the passion just isn't there anymore……..  

Question to PW members:  On a scale of 1 to 10 what would you say your shooting passion level is?

Mine is currently about 3😥

I feel your pain  10 years in remission side effects of chemo tired all the time/ neuropathy /fibromyalgia  its a struggle to leave the house not to mention  lift a gun to shoot or fly fish however I dig deep and try to  go for it,  knocks me out for a few days after, I have shot all game quarry species over the years and yet, pigeon shooting  floats my boat  (just about the best sport there is fully clothed ) second to all saltmarsh goose and duck flighting in the tide up to your nads  in water 

21 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Since I lost my dog two months ago, I can’t bring myself to go out after pigeons, it just would not be the same without him by my side.

However, I will always be interested in shooting and love to follow what other people are up to.

I still have a passion for shooting squirrels and rats with the air riffles though.

Time is a great healer, so I will see how I feel in a few more months.

don't take this the wrong way  , a new pup a (character) will make you laugh again and get your passion back for you  to teach him to enjoy what you do, going shooting  ,without a dog you may as well be naked  its wrong . 

21 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

8-9 most of my life but following the recent GL fiasco I would guess about 4-5. 

Now that rings true for me! I also love Salmon fishing, since the EA introduced mandatory catch and release 15 years or so ago, from the start of the season in February until 16th June my interest flagged, and I didn't bother fishing until after 16 th June......this year the EA have bought in a byelaw that mandatory catch and release will be season long in my local river.........for me,  if I can't take the odd one for the pot, I can't be bothered to go!

A steady 8 I would say pretty much since I was old enough to carry a gun. Never really been a hobby for me more of a way of life how I was brought up. Shooting ferreting stalking working dogs clays targets etc. Always out at least a few times a week and weekend. Never been put off. did stray a bit when I was a teenager lol

The passion for all country sports is still there but the pulling of the trigger is not the be all and end all it was as a youngster ,gone are the days when all that mattered was getting a shot at something and speaking to others of my age most agree

8_9, after my spinal opp I watched my Springer go into a steady depression, he got really bored and stopped doing his usual high octane activities, this is what helped me recover very quickly, I couldn't stand to see him like that and now we are back!!, We are out at least twice a week and every weekend, so I am back to my 8-9 and Harvey is back to his 10👍

Either been in considerable pain or if not, away with the birdies on steroids, for the passed 9 months, so a very poor 2. After a recce I dragged myself out on to some clover on Saturday but it didn't happen as I thought it might. Yesterday I had a brief go on the wheat but it was all too much walking and carrying - not to mention the heat - so I cut that short - just now got back in from recovering the decoys that I was forced to leave. Damned arthritis; still waiting for some treatment which doesn't either change my colour to bright red or finish me off by stopping me breathing.

Good topic!

Clays

I'm motivated to achieve my target, and with fewer commitments I would do more.

Game 

I didn't do as much last year as normal, and really 'felt the gap' come January. I've much more booked this year so not making that mistake again. I can't drive past any moorland in Yorkshire or valley in Wales without wishing I was on it !

Fowling

Even on a blazing hot July day, I see the water in the Nene and wish I was crouching nuts deep in it. Come the season, I now do have some patience and over the last few years I have got out less, and have better flights through using what I've learned.

"Crop protection"

I took a sabbatical during the recent issues, and didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. Corvids were the thing that I most missed folding up, and now have my attention again.

Overall, I'd say an 8

Its mostly to-do with old age (enthusiasm and energy of youth) I am 69 and still try to get out two, three, or more times a week, this time of year I am happy now with 3-4 hours on the pigeons, the desire, the spark to kill is not as bright as it was.

If I was to put numbers on my passion it would be around 6 or 7.

Solid 10.

Had and accident a couple months back and couldn't shoot at all. The relief when I realised I could still mouth the gun and shoot it was unbelievable. 

Im still recovering so can't shoot as much as I used to but it will come back in time. Literally take any chance i get to have the gun under my arm. Nothing better after a *bad* day at work than slipping on a cammo top and wandering the perms, does wonders. 

Have not had a shot since the end of the game season, arthritus in shoulder joints and carpal tunnel in both wrists made holding a gun very painful but at 75 to be expected. Now had op on both wrists and steroid injections in shoulder joints so should be repaired enough to venture out when harvest comes.   5 on the scale.

Edited by butchdickason
Missed ny age.

I turn sixty this month but am as keen as ever for wing shooting. Gave up the CF at the beginning of the year cos I simply get bored being chucked about in a Landy at silly o’clock looking for foxes, and stalking Roe is frankly as easy as falling off a log. 

Its strange really, cos as a youth all I ever wanted was a rifle, whereas now all my rifle shooting takes place ( but not as often as I would like ) with my .22. Regarding shotgunning I’m doing more now than I ever was since taking up clays again, and have just received dates for beating on BIG shoot, and have paid fees for driven syndicate and rough shoot. Happy chappy. 🙂

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I turn sixty this month but am as keen as ever for wing shooting. Gave up the CF at the beginning of the year cos I simply get bored being chucked about in a Landy at silly o’clock looking for foxes, and stalking Roe is frankly as easy as falling off a log. 

Its strange really, cos as a youth all I ever wanted was a rifle, whereas now all my rifle shooting takes place ( but not as often as I would like ) with my .22. Regarding shotgunning I’m doing more now than I ever was since taking up clays again, and have just received dates for beating on BIG shoot, and have paid fees for driven syndicate and rough shoot. Happy chappy. 🙂

I'm going to hazard a guess……….. 9/10🤔

5 hours ago, Penelope said:

Zero!!

???😳

Im 65 started shooting 50yrs ago. then a long break, shoot several times a week in the winter [when its not chucking it down] I shoot because its there. duck, geese, rabbits.. i firmly believe that it is the best/honest way to supply meat for my family and the general public. I also enjoy re-loading and long walks on the hill for the occasional woodcock. apart from the rabbits i shoot very low numbers of birds and  remember most of them.  so thats a 7