Shooting Passion Level

KB1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I got the dog, I missed a lot of shooting last year as they certainly are a tie and he was too young to take out doing stuff. 

This last year or two I’ve been doing much more with the shotguns the rifles hardly been out. 

Next season coming I'm hoping to get he dog onto game with hopefully minimal problems, and will likely try to get out regular then rough shooting over him :) 

Because of moving here, not having perms, having a kid, getting new jobs, working 7 days a week ect I gave up pretty much for years, now I literally can't sleep with excitement if somebody txts me saying they've a problem that needs sorted. Even with a few small  perms on the go now, I'm out a few nights a week, and even gave up the Sunday job so I can have a full day shooting. 

This year

Definitely a 10 👍

Oh ill literally pull a sickie to go rat shooting. Love it 

Hmm let me see.....

Clays maybe 1-2

Game a solid 3

Pigeon 4-5 but don't get the chance.

duck flights maybe 6-7

Squirrels and rats I could muster an 8.

Used to be a solid 10 all across the board but after 40 odd years I can't help but feel I've probably killed enough?

An interesting question indeed!

For me I would rate my overall passion level as 8-9 for clays, have to admit to being quite addicted to clay shooting now after changing my gun and seeing my scores progressing.  Its helped by the fact that my son has also really taken to it so I enjoy the time he and I spend at the local ground and watching him develop his skills.  Up until a year or so ago I would have answered this question differently, and said that my main interest is pigeon and rough shooting I would now rate this no higher than a 3.  This is down to the shambolic situation around the general license and the growing negative public opinion around hunting. 

I feel like shooting sports in the UK are facing a slow death, the constant changes in the licensing process are gradually chipping away at our sport.  Things like shooting being dropped from the commonwealth games all serve to alienate us and our sport even word that Sainsburys are stopping selling shooting magazines all serve to push us further into the margins (I cant remember where I read this but am sure its true!).

Of course none of this is helped by the ineffectiveness of the shooting bodies and the uncontrolled hyperbole from the likes of Packham changing public opinion. 

A solid 9 for me. I don`t get out into the field now as much as I would like but I don`t enjoy the culling as much as I used to. The GL fiasco hasn't helped either.

I run an airgun club twice a month and a CF club once a month as well as attending my own club as a member twice a week.

My main passion now is reloading for my 223,243 and 308 with the cheapest materials I can find and keeping all my results in a shoe box full of shot targets. I have recently been trying powder and bullet combinations that are not normally recommended and getting some surprisingly good results. These I wont publish as I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else having a massive failure and having a new nose bar of a rifle bolt!

I very much look forward to 3 days of shooting with my pal (old man) every now and again and giving the greys an introduction to the next life with the air rifles.

4 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

A solid 9 for me. I don`t get out into the field now as much as I would like but I don`t enjoy the culling as much as I used to. The GL fiasco hasn't helped either.

I run an airgun club twice a month and a CF club once a month as well as attending my own club as a member twice a week.

My main passion now is reloading for my 223,243 and 308 with the cheapest materials I can find and keeping all my results in a shoe box full of shot targets. I have recently been trying powder and bullet combinations that are not normally recommended and getting some surprisingly good results. These I wont publish as I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else having a massive failure and having a new nose bar of a rifle bolt!

I very much look forward to 3 days of shooting with my pal (old man) every now and again and giving the greys an introduction to the next life with the air rifles.

Ready and waiting Sir.

A solid 9. The GL grief helped, I didn’t go out with the 12g, I haven’t for months, instead it’s been more about the Airgun’s. Decoying with Airgun’s has been excellent fun, short intense periods with decent bags all over the farm on the peas and through the woods. Going out and bringing 10 back with a springer or PCP has been far more satisfying that 20 with a 12g, I never been so keen.

Having suffered arthritus in the knees for the past 14/15 years , really bad in the last 3 its been a struggle for me to get out not because i didnt want to go but because i knew id be in agony when i returned 

i had a replacement knee 20 months ago which didnt come out the best but have struggled on with it , i have know just had my other one done last week and am hoping this one will be ok , if so im hoping to be able to manage at least twice a week  if not,  god knows

for me for the past three years it would be 4 , which im hoping is going to increase alot

For me my level would have to be 11/10, I have a saying,  "if its got a trigger I'm gonna enjoy it". Started at 10 shooting .22LR prone with a club BSA 12/15, got an air rifle to shoot at home the same year and have never looked  back, most of my good friend shoot and enjoy similar things including a love of the outdoors. Its about much more than just pulling the trigger,  I shoot all kinds of shooting from airgun which has come back to the top of the pile to black powder to precision target shooting pest control and stalking. there Is always something going on, and there is always something to learn, it has provided me with great friends and experiences and frankly a big portion of my life?

It covers history, politics, Law, technology, its a significant challenge and requires your utmost attention and if you are bored with one aspect of it or with one thing, then look to something else. The day every shot is 100% accurate and there is no challenge I might get bored with it. In my life I moved home, changed women, changed jobs, changed cars  and shooting has been the one constant thing in my life, a bad day in the field or at the range is always much better than a day at work. I don't get to shoot every day but I wish I could and take every opportunity that I can. In fact that's it I'm off. I'm going shooting!

36 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Game shooting 2 out of 10 

clays 7/8 out of 10 

I get far more enjoyment trying to break clays than killing.

I would say very similar scores for me. Maybe it’s an age thing and sentimentality creeping in, or perhaps since I lost my dog six months ago but much prefer a few hours on the clays in good company these days. Incredible buzz when you’re shooting well on a testing layout.