Shooting Passion Level

KB1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The passion is as strong as ever , but at 72 you have to realistic and know you cant do the amount as you once done when the body was more mobile , from February I do a fair bit of pigeon shooting , now I don't sit it out in the really cold weather and when I go it is normally for three or fours hours instead of all day , this past week I have been four times , dead easy really , drive across the Pea stubble , set up , hide your motor and then the reverse when you pack up , this carry on till the stubbles are pulled up and then it's the start of the game shooting season , last season I done around 20 days and this year if the good lord above spare me then it will be about the same , still very passionate about wild fowling but it is now inland instead of coastal , then at the end of the season it is not the end but the beginning of another sporting year .

I would say 7/8 out of ten 

I blame the summer for my general lack of desire to get out. I went stalking last weekend and the midges made it unbearable. I am shooting a few crows but have no desire to get out foxing or anything else. I bought a NV scope over a week ago and haven't zeroed it yet. Maybe it's an age thing, but my wish to get out shooting has rarely been weaker.

I shoot mainly because I enjoy the occasion;

Clays I shoot virtually all my clays (most weekends) with the same group of friends and we have a great laugh, break a few clays and simply enjoy ourselves.

Game, I enjoy a day or two of walked up grouse with a friend with whom I have been shooting for over 30 years, though at 62 (me) and over 70 (him), this is getting a bit like hard work, and we don't cover the ground as we used to!  I also have about 6 or 7 days on a small (very local) farm shoot, again with good friends and we have a great time, and a bit of food for the freezer.

I have far more interest in enjoying using vintage and 'interesting'  guns than I have in the technical aspects of multichokes, back boring, raised ribs - or the other fashions that come and go.  With my standard of shooting, I can do just as badly with a 100+ year old English gun as I would with the latest expensive clay busting masterpiece.

All of my shooting is more about a good day out with friends rather than breaking clays, or taking game.

Edited by JohnfromUK