What 100mm angle grinder?

Ricko

My 29 year old 4inch/100mm angle grinder is nearing the end of its journey.

'Free' from Machine Mart when I bought 50 grinding discs. 

(Actually made by Stayer)

What should i replace it with?

Bosch?

Makita?

Blue Bosch Industrial?

Your thoughts are, as ever, very welcome...

i replaced mine about 2 mths ago...got it off amazon...will post the name 2moz

this one is smaller and heavier than my previous one....it also has a stepped motor (starts off slow then rises to full speed)....it also has a switch which when pushed forward and down stays on.....my previous grinders didnt have this...and it makes using it a hell of alot easier..........

edit found the name ...METERK....(german)

Don't go for a 100mm they are pretty much obsolete and you will struggle to get some types of disc for them (I work for a major European supplier). Bosch GWS7-115 slim grip, £50 would be a good price. Register it online when you get it for a 3 year guarantee.

I came to it the other day and its certainly not spinning at the correct speed, I suspect that the armature is on the way out. I've rebuilt it twice with new bearings. Its handy as it can be operated with one hand (it doesn't have the facility for a side handle). My 4.5" grinder is a new green Bosch and was meant to be the back up one. My 9" grinder is a blue Bosch Industrial that I found on a scrap pile in 1991 and rebuilt.

I had no idea that 100mm was becoming obsolete.

I might go for a Makita as the gearbox looks to be fairly robust.

Although I will check out Meterk out of curiosity.

15 hours ago, Dougy said:

I have a Makita battery, impressive little thing cuts through all chains and padlocks it's met so far. 

Dont tell that to Judge!!

I have ended up with two of the Wickes home brand jobs, so far been reliable and seen quite a bit of use over the years.

The story is to do with work, i was gifted the task to sort out 300 personal lockers, and as usual not a simple task. A few people that had left due to various reasons needed locks cutting. It did the job with ease on hardened gasps and padlock. 

But it's really the grinding disks that take the credit.  

On 10/07/2019 at 19:02, Dougy said:

The story is to do with work, i was gifted the task to sort out 300 personal lockers, and as usual not a simple task. A few people that had left due to various reasons needed locks cutting. It did the job with ease on hardened gasps and padlock. 

But it's really the grinding disks that take the credit.  

Yeah yeah...:lol: ..very true about the discs, you definitely get what you pay for.  

I bought the Bosch blue 4.5” when it was on special in Screwfix, £45 iirc. Miles better than a hobby job for NVH.

I still have a couple of cheap grinders for things like wire brushing, but if you’re only going to have one, get a decent one. Your forearms, wrists and neighbours will thank you!