wild justice newsletter

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 04:50
Subject: Wild Justice Newsletter 6

Hi!

Welcome to our latest newsletter and a big welcome to all new subscribers. There are over 5000 of you who subscribe to this newsletter - thank you.

We've been a bit quiet recently but that certainly doesn't mean that we've been taking it easy. We've had lots of discussions with lawyers, in Scotland and England so far, about a wide variety of potential legal challenges, and we've been looking at other campaigns and actions.  On Thursday last week the three Wild Justice directors (Chris Packham, Ruth Tingay and Mark Avery) had a board meeting - well actually we had a picnic and a long chat where we decided a range of issues. We will be very keen to tell you about all of these things as soon as we are able - there may well be several of these newsletters over the next few weeks so it's looking like being a very busy summer for Wild Justice. Thank you for your support - we can't do anything without you.

Here is a quick update on a variety of issues:

General Licences to kill wild birds: this is getting quite complex!  There are three lots of general licences to consider: the 'old', the 'Natural England' and the 'Defra' ones. Wild Justice mounted its first legal challenge against the old general licences issued by Natural England and won that challenge (see the Wild Justice blog) and Natural England decided to revoke those licences. Natural England then started issuing a series of new general licences and Wild Justice has already taken the first steps towards a possible judicial review of one of these licences (see Wild Justice blog) and at the end of last week we received Natural England's, delayed, legal response which we are now considering with our lawyers. Then Defra decided that they would take back control of general licences and they issued three more general licences and Wild Justice has written to Defra seeking details of their decision-making process and we are waiting for their (delayed) response and will consider our options for legal challenges after considering the papers. In short, we won our first legal challenge and we are considering a further two such challenges. Because we won the first challenge we will receive costs from Natural England so we can recycle those funds into another legal challenge, but if we decide to challenge both the NE licences and the Defra licences (which is not decided but is entirely possible) then we will need to raise another £40,000 for the potential court action. 

There will be a consultation on the general licences some time later this summer to which Wild Justice will contribute.

The House of Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee has been asking questions of Natural England and Defra about their handling of general licences.

This issue will run and run and Wild Justice intends to be heavily involved in it until we see a sensible resolution of the issues we have raised. What will that look like? We want a licensing system that is lawful, allows the genuine and legal needs of landowners to use lethal control of birds acting as pests to be in place as an action of last resort, a system of monitoring, enforcement of the law and the removal of Jackdaw, Jay, Rook and Magpie from the list of species that can be killed to protect wildlife because the science does not support their presence on the lists.

Other legal challenges: these are either at a very early stage or have not yet commenced but are being planned and it would be wrong to go into details. We'll tell you about them when we can. Indeed, we'll be asking for your support to get them funded.

Hen Harrier Day: Wild Justice is organising a public event to celebrate the threatened bird the Hen Harrier at Carsington Water, Derbyshire on Sunday 11 August. We'd like to thank Severn Trent Water for their enthusiastic support. This will be a family-friendly event with lots of speakers to inspire you. The Hen Harrier is a threatened bird of prey that is illegally killed on grouse moors. All three Wild Justice directors have a long association with campaigning for proper protection of this bird. Here are the details of the event, so far, but we'll keep you updated on the lists of speakers and events as we get closer to the 11 August.

Wildlife and Countryside Link: back in June, Wild Justice attended a meeting of Wildlife and Countryside link to discuss the use of legal challenges in nature conservation. We spoke about our general licence success and listened to other organisations' experiences.  We are keen to work with other organisations who are active in this area.

Fundraising: we are touched by the regular donations of you, our supporters, for our work. Thank you!  For the big legal cases we will set up crowdfunding appeals but we also need money for the day-to-day running of Wild Justice such as maintaining and improving our website, travel expenses for directors, some ad hoc administrative support, legal advice outside the big legal challenges, postage, accountants etc etc. None of the directors of Wild Justice is paid a penny for their work - we are all volunteers - but we do claim travel expenses.  You can donate through our website using PayPal, or by bank transfer or by sending us a cheque in the post.  The details are here.

Henry's marathon for the missing Hen Harriers:  Henry Morris has just completed a 200km run over the grouse moors of northern England to draw attention to illegal persecution of Hen Harriers and he's been raising money for Wild Justice too! Henry is close to raising £10,000 for Wild Justice's work - he 's a great guy and we think that what he has done is amazing.

That's it for now. Thank you for your support - we'll keep you informed of what is happening.

Wild Justice (Directors: Mark Avery, Chris Packham and Ruth Tingay).

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fopenrate.aweber.com%2Fy%2Fo%2F%3Fl%3DPQx8O%26m%3D3brTkIsMn7DTXDc&t=1562707663&ymreqid=1d6e2087-32d5-18e4-1c78-c5000101d100&sig=2yeMIqZfVb2udEge46q7.A--~C
--
Gordon the gopher

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

25 minutes ago, jason g said:

Worth a read but what a money spinner. All those mugs paying towards a bunch of idiots with an unrealistic ideology of how the countryside should operate. Thanks for the post to keep us informed 

I imagine they say the same abut BASC. Clearly a very motivated new organisation with a mere 5000 supporters, yet having a huge impact. Contrast that with BASC, which has in the region of 150000 members and vast reserves. You might expect BASC to be leading the agenda. 

5 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Needing £40,000 crowd funded / gifted to them.. And 5000 subscribers.. That's afew people given them Lot of money... 

a fool and his money are soon parted, unfournately this is the way to go about things these days to play the victim with no money and expect everyone else to bail you out of the ****

6 hours ago, oowee said:

I imagine they say the same abut BASC. Clearly a very motivated new organisation with a mere 5000 supporters, yet having a huge impact. Contrast that with BASC, which has in the region of 150000 members and vast reserves. You might expect BASC to be leading the agenda. 

this

7 hours ago, oowee said:

Yep. Motivated, organised and persistent. How I wish we had an organisation like that. 

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

a fool and his money are soon parted, unfournately this is the way to go about things these days to play the victim with no money and expect everyone else to bail you out of the ****

I would of thought between the three they would easily be able to get 40k. But they don't have to as you say others with pledge for them. 

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I would of thought between the three they would easily be able to get 40k. But they don't have to as you say others with pledge for them. 

i read recently that pacham was worth 4 mill...however deeply he cares he will still need the travelling expenses and that though

1 hour ago, Scully said:

It’s never stopped being about game shooting. 

Exactly this, it has always been about it. 

His question was purely to say grouse shooters are top class toffs. 

How many grouse are moors in Wales and say dartmoor and exmoor, that are no longer managed. Compared to managed for shooting. That in itself tells you without management they are gone. Let them have what they want maybe. Show the wider world that their protectionist views are flawed 

Just been reading the EU’s directive on wild bird protection for all EU countries, as far as I can see the new GL is following the rules set by the EU, the only part where the new GL is in conflict with the EU directive is..

“They/members shall see in particular that the species to which hunting regulations apply are not hunted during their period of reproduction”

This I presume means summer.

If we are following the rules laid down by the EU directive then how can they challenge the new GL? Although there are a couple of points in Article 9 below that could be pushed home by WJ.

Cut and pasted from the EU directive.

Article 9

1. Member States may derogate from the provisions of Articles 5, 6, 7 and 8, where there is no other satisfactory solution, for the following reasons:

(a) - in the interests of public health and safety,

- in the interests of air safety,

- to prevent serious damage to crops, livestock, forests, fisheries and water,

- for the protection of flora and fauna;

(b) for the purposes of research and teaching, of re-population, of re-introduction and for the breeding necessary for these purposes;

(c) to permit, under strictly supervised conditions and on a selective basis, the capture, keeping or other judicious use of certain birds in small numbers.

2. The derogations must specify:

- the species which are subject to the derogations,

- the means, arrangements or methods authorized for capture or killing,

- the conditions of risk and the circumstances of time and place under which such derogations may be granted,

- the authority empowered to declare that the required conditions obtain and to decide what means, arrangements or methods may be used, within what limits and by whom,

- the controls which will be carried out.

3. Each year the Member States shall send a report to the Commission on the implementation of this Article.

4. On the basis of the information available to it, and in particular the information communicated to it pursuant to paragraph 3, the Commission shall at all times ensure that the consequences of these derogations are not incompatible with this Directive. It shall take appropriate steps to this end.

Of course when we leave the EU these rules no longer apply to the UK .

Edited by old'un

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I see they've published a postal address for donations. Wouldn't it be a shame if people started posting them large heavy donations with insufficient postage....

Should consume a bit of their 40k fairly quickly.

Edited by Sprinter

Has anyone  been on the WJ Avery blog.The blog is mostly about pandering to averys ego. they hate people that shoot things for fun, most that contribute are sycophants  clamouring for attention.. however its hard to imagine that wj wont succeed in getting their way and banning wholesale pheasant breeding and releasing whilst financing it by crowdfunding...... whats next i wonder...................the blog contains not one shred of humour

Edited by islandgun

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

the blog contains not one shred of humour

I did have a 5 minute scroll through during a moment of boredom early this morning. I did notice he is indicating he is going to the Game Fair this coming weekend and might get a warm reception !

Not sure if he is referring to the weather or the reaction of some of the shooting community who might recognise his chubbly little face. I notice he gets quite rattled and abusive when he doesnt like some of his critics remarks.

Anyone keeping their eye open for him, I would suggest he will be found indulging in second helpings at one of the pie stalls !

Edited by JJsDad

1 minute ago, JJsDad said:

I did have a 5 minute scroll through during a moment of boredom early this morning. I did notice he is indicating he is going to the Game Fair this coming weekend and might get a warm reception !

Not sure if he is referring to the weather or some of the shooting community who might recognise his chubbly little face. I notice he gets quite rattled and abusive when he doesnt like some of his critics remarks.

Anyone keeping their eye open for him, I would suggest he will be found indulging in second helpings at one of the pie stalls !

Im sure he would be grateful if there were any game pies going spare..😉

download.jpg.e21309b0ed87726b9777276a2399d656.jpg

If you see the ******* at the gamefair, best just ignore him, don't speak to him nor even acknowledge him! He will hate that! He would love for someone to assault or abuse him, so he could play the martyr! In fact like other extremist antis, he will probably try to provoke a reaction?

30 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If you see the ******* at the gamefair, best just ignore him, don't speak to him nor even acknowledge him! He will hate that! He would love for someone to assault or abuse him, so he could play the martyr! In fact like other extremist antis, he will probably try to provoke a reaction?

very good advice and very true.. :good: