Cod liver oil or capsules?

mgsontour

15 hours ago, islandgun said:

I wouldn't take either, I just imagine that the liver is the purifying organ and any nasties, heavy metals etc are going to be found there,  prefer straight fish oil

I don't take fish oil due to the way it is produced. In much the same way as fishmeal/pellets etc are made, it takes a lot of marine life out of the ecosystem in relation to the amount of end product. For the same reasons I will not eat farmed salmon/trout.

As for contaminants in CLO, I know what you mean, there are probably some residuals but I do take it, in capsule form. I might stop for a while actually, as I am eating a lot more fish these days, might be interesting to see how I feel.

Edited by John_R
typo

44 minutes ago, John_R said:

I don't take fish oil due to the way it is produced. In much the same way as fishmeal/pellets etc are made, it takes a lot of marine life out of the ecosystem in relation to the amount of end product. For the same reasons I will not eat farmed salmon/trout.

As for contaminants in CLO, I know what you mean, there are probably some residuals but I do take it, in capsule form. I might stop for a while actually, as I am eating a lot more fish these days, might be interesting to see how I feel.

Aye.. perhaps the best way is to just eat fish !.... certainly tastes better.. better still, get some feathers out and catch your own

20 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, no one has mentioned Mackerel fishing yet on PW ?? there is is usually a post  ??????

I take a fish oil capsule every day and have done for the last five years.

They have been catching mackerel from Deal pier in Kent, not lots but they turn up over HW

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, hafod said:

Havent had that since I was a kid our mam would give a big spoonful after bathing on a Sunday night god I don't miss it either lol 

Was that Malt & Cod Liver Oil and came in a big brown pot ? `orrible stuff if I recall from the 50s.

OB

19 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Was that Malt & Cod Liver Oil and came in a big brown pot ? `orrible stuff if I recall from the 50s.

OB

From what I remember it was in a brown bottle like what hactos cough medicine used to come in 

it was pure cod liver oil cant remeber any malt in it oily vicious smelling stuff my mother would say right open wide and pinch your nose to make us swallow it urg yuk

Well you know the drill god I shudder just thinking about it now to be honest used to feel a sick as a pig after swallowing it after a bath on Sunday nights

But then again saying that we never did have the usual coughs and colds or whatever lurgey was doing the rounds at the time in the early seventies so there could have been some merit in it I suppose lol 

Saying that i can never remember any of us ever being ill to be honest you never heard of food allergies , food poisoning , attention deficits , ebola , bubonic plague , covid 19 etc etc make you think mankind is on the way to hell in a handbasket dont it 

4 hours ago, old'un said:

When I was a nipper our mom gave us rosehip syrup, welfare orange juice, and a spoonful of cod liver oil everyday, and just before bedtime a malted milk tablet.

Yup. All that, except a warm Horlicks before bed.