Aya 53

countryman

I have been thinking of adding a pistol grip beaver tail forend  side by side for a while. I like AYA in general as they all ways seem very good quality guns, I will be using it for general shooting plus a bit of clays. Has any one had a 53, are the barrels chrome lined on the older AYAs and should I be looking for any problem areas if any.

Thanks

There are two models I know of in the 53 one is a very nice sidekick with gold washed locks.

The other is a heavier clay type bashing gun designed to shoot lots of carts with stronger heavier action.

Don't think they were chrome lined.  Only seen a couple in years. Quite a rare model.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

There are two models I know of in the 53 one is a very nice sidekick with gold washed locks.

The other is a heavier clay type bashing gun designed to shoot lots of carts with stronger heavier action.

Don't think they were chrome lined.  Only seen a couple in years. Quite a rare model.

I think you're talking about an AYA 722 side by side sidelock with a single trigger. The idea is appealing but the reality is a barrel - heavy lump of a gun which is probably best avoided.

Nope I'm talking about the Aya 53. Fella I know has one I've had a few goes with it.  His is straight hand stock not the pistol grip.

I looked earlier and there is an unusual amount for sale on guntrader, one pair a single and couple with two barrels sets. Have a look.

Any other times I've looked it was none or one with signs of wear.

There is a model 53, a sort of heavy duty No 2, with side clips etc.  Usually double trigger, straight hand, but like most AyAs, single trigger and variations in grip, rib and barrel length were I think optional for special orders.  These are not uncommon - though much less common than No 2.

Then there is model 56, a heavy duty 'high grade' like a heavy No 1.  Wider heavier action, side clips.  Quite rare and expensive new, so often made to order with options like single trigger and pistol grip.  I think the 'origins' were as 'live pigeon' competition guns in Spain.

I don't believe either has chrome barrels.

Edited by JohnfromUK

37 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There is a model 53, a sort of heavy duty No 2, with side clips etc.  Usually double trigger, straight hand, but like most AyAs, single trigger and variations in grip, rib and barrel length were I think optional for special orders.  These are not uncommon - though much less common than No 2.

Then there is model 56, a heavy duty 'high grade' like a heavy No 1.  Wider heavier action, side clips.  Quite rare and expensive new, so often made to order with options like single trigger and pistol grip.  I think the 'origins' were as 'live pigeon' competition guns in Spain.

I don't believe either has chrome barrels.

That's right chrome barrels are an extra, £144

The 56 is still marketed as a competition gun