Very long shot .

Ultrastu

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zipdog said:

No Im not. Im guessing the OP wasn't shooting a sub 12ftlb air gun also

I know he's not, he's using a .25 fac FX.

that's why i asked what your shooting with, I'm only shooting squirrels or rats at up to 30 metres max, more often less if i can help it.

27 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Amazing these new fangled 'computer' thingies but I still tend to use the one between my ears, the battery only goes flat on that once in a lifetime and after that I have no worries.

👍 Plenty of charge left yet. 

20 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

So this is not a brag about how great i am (cos im not ) and its far from perfect in a few ways , but i thought id share .

I saw a rabbit the other day where i was shooting pigeons .and this eve i though i might see if there were a few about. 

So i grabbed the fx .25 airgun and drove to the cut strip of wheat .i parked in the gate in my van and poked the barrwl out the window .and waited . (Had a plink to check zero and all was good .) Had a nice pigeon at 65 yds off a wire. 

The rabbit showed up at 220 yds .then disapeared again .30 mins later he reappeared right next to a tree which i know and lazered the range .

I dialled my scope down to 9x mag from 24 x .to get a marker on my ret for the longer than usual range .using chairgun to predict the trajectory ..

I aimed a little to the right to allow for the wind and fired .the rabbit flipped and wiggled and stopped ......

I got out the van and retrieved the rabbit .to find id hit 2 inches left of the head and hit his spine severing it and cleanly killing the animal .i then re lazered back to my van to confirm the range at exactly 150 yds .

My officially longest kill shot ever .

Now it wasnt perfect. The poi was a bit lucky.as there was an incosistent breeze from right to left .but the fact that chairgun predicted the trajectory  perfectly and the fx did its job spot on .it was only my wind reading that could have been a touch better .

Im amazed at how good modern guns scopes .and software can be to be able to even contemplate  achieving a shot like this .

The tree is 150 yds from my van .

Now i know i might get some stick for this shot .( Obviously im not looking for praise) but the fact remains these guns are pushing the boundarys well into rimfire territory. 

Thanks 

2 inches to the left and you would have taken the rabbits jaw off:hmm:

Fine shot!, air guns have gone down there own path in tech and engineering and are very potent for what they are, I love that in a pocket you could carry 500 to a 1000 rounds with easy Try that with a powder burner!

Edited by Chaz25

Thanks very much for all the very positive responses and also the negative ones too .they all certainly have merit. 

I have a LOT of airguns of different powers .and they all have their uses .from pistols to plink in my garden to .sub 12 rifles up the the .25 cal fx 50 fpe .this guns sole purpose (for me ) is a long range sniper. It wears a £450 scope and and fires the absolute best pellets i can feed it .if i thought that i was going out for rabbits at 35 yds .i wouldnt take it .id grab a more suitable gun ( which i have ) .the fx is zeroed at 50 yds. And is lights out at 75 yds. And groups 30 mm at 100 yds. So a 100 yd rabbit is not much of a stretch. Tin cans at 150 so thats about a  3 inch group .

This gun does 15 fpe at 150 yds so enough for a front of rabbit clean kill (ie a 3 inch kill zone ) so the parameters stack up .it just requires the shooter to do his bit .thats what i did.

Im interested in the (9 out of 10 )comments .why not 10 /10 of 8 /10 

These are personal figures to these people .

When we shoot pigeons do we drop 9/10 ?  no ? 

Does that stop you from pulling the trigger .?

Also with shotgun shooting id put the skill / technical level at 85/15 %

Ie it requires 85 % skill to hit a flying jinking pigeon  and ony 15 % is .choke ,cartridge. Barrel length etc . 

With rifles those numbers are much different .is say something like 25 -75 % skill / technical  level .

So if some one technically sets up a rifle to shoot a 100 yds rabbit and puts someone with limited rifle skill behind the trigger. There is a very good chance of the shooter making the shot. 

This is the huge difference between the 2 disciplines .. Unfortunately with shotguns you have to be bad before you can get good. There arent many short cuts .as opposed to rifle shooting where sucess can come very quickly .

My 150 yd shot is deep into that 75 % technical element .pushing that to the limits .not my skill at trigger pulling. 

Thanks again  all .

I knew i would get some  flak .

Thats fine .the post was to highlight the progess that airguns have achieved in recent years .not to big my self up .as personally my skill at trigger pulling probably isnt as good as it was 5 years ago .my eyes certainly arent .

Just now, Ttfjlc said:

I believe unless I'm mistaken the rabbit must of been right side on when UltraStu took the shot.

Yes the rabbit was facing right .the wind was right to left .i aimed off  about 2 inches to the right and the wind took the pellet about 4 inches and hit him behind the head in the spine 2 inches  behind the shoulder blades. 

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Thanks very much for all the very positive responses and also the negative ones too .they all certainly have merit. 

I have a LOT of airguns of different powers .and they all have their uses .from pistols to plink in my garden to .sub 12 rifles up the the .25 cal fx 50 fpe .this guns sole purpose (for me ) is a long range sniper. It wears a £450 scope and and fires the absolute best pellets i can feed it .if i thought that i was going out for rabbits at 35 yds .i wouldnt take it .id grab a more suitable gun ( which i have ) .the fx is zeroed at 50 yds. And is lights out at 75 yds. And groups 30 mm at 100 yds. So a 100 yd rabbit is not much of a stretch. Tin cans at 150 so thats about a  3 inch group .

This gun does 15 fpe at 150 yds so enough for a front of rabbit clean kill (ie a 3 inch kill zone ) so the parameters stack up .it just requires the shooter to do his bit .thats what i did.

Im interested in the (9 out of 10 )comments .why not 10 /10 of 8 /10 

These are personal figures to these people .

When we shoot pigeons do we drop 9/10 ?  no ? 

Does that stop you from pulling the trigger .?

Also with shotgun shooting id put the skill / technical level at 85/15 %

Ie it requires 85 % skill to hit a flying jinking pigeon  and ony 15 % is .choke ,cartridge. Barrel length etc . 

With rifles those numbers are much different .is say something like 25 -75 % skill / technical  level .

So if some one technically sets up a rifle to shoot a 100 yds rabbit and puts someone with limited rifle skill behind the trigger. There is a very good chance of the shooter making the shot. 

This is the huge difference between the 2 disciplines .. Unfortunately with shotguns you have to be bad before you can get good. There arent many short cuts .as opposed to rifle shooting where sucess can come very quickly .

My 150 yd shot is deep into that 75 % technical element .pushing that to the limits .not my skill at trigger pulling. 

Thanks again  all .

I knew i would get some  flak .

Thats fine .the post was to highlight the progess that airguns have achieved in recent years .not to big my self up .as personally my skill at trigger pulling probably isnt as good as it was 5 years ago .my eyes certainly arent .

there is not a 3" kill zone on a rabbits head

16 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes the rabbit was facing right .the wind was right to left .i aimed off  about 2 inches to the right and the wind took the pellet about 4 inches and hit him behind the head in the spine 2 inches  behind the shoulder blades.

Huh! Fancy not reading the wind right at 150 yards! amateur....:lol: on a serious note it's one helluva shot to attempt, those FX guns are great bits of kit. :good:

Edited by Ttfjlc
Less Scrolling

Thanks .yes they are .

If im being totally honest  id say i had a 50 /50 chance of making that shot.

Not the best odds granted .but .is that too low to be ethical ?? Ive missed sitters with different guns which should have been a dead cert .so we can all make mistakes ..show me someone who says they dont miss .and i will show you someone who doesnt shoot very much .

Just for context .i often pass up shots on quarry if i feel that the odds are too low .ie range ,wind , position etc etc .

Some as close as 10 yd rats in a barn .

Its about playing those percentages and stacking the odds in your favour as best u can .not unlike shotgunning .

Cheers 

17 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Just for context .i often pass up shots on quarry if i feel that the odds are too low .ie range ,wind , position etc etc .

Some as close as 10 yd rats in a barn .

Its about playing those percentages and stacking the odds in your favour as best u can .not unlike shotgunning .

Cheers 

50/50 chance are not odds in your favour:hmm:

15 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Thanks .yes they are .

If im being totally honest  id say i had a 50 /50 chance of making that shot.

Not the best odds granted .but .is that too low to be ethical ?? Ive missed sitters with different guns which should have been a dead cert .so we can all make mistakes ..show me someone who says they dont miss .and i will show you someone who doesnt shoot very much .

Good question, as we are all different we all have our own opinions as to what is ethical or not. If you had just said you'd shot a rabbit at 150 yards with an air rifle I would of more than likely laughed, but because you had said what gun you used then I didn't really bat an eyelid, reason being I've seen enough airgun hunting videos from Matt Dubber to know what those guns can do. 

Im not looking for a argument .

Im interested in the numbers idea 9/10  5/10 etc .What's ethical what isnt .?

Obviously  10/10 is ideal .but should we pass up a 5/10 shot .

Id say yes we should pass up a 3/10 odds .

6 /10 ? .

It would depend on our reasons for taking the shot in the first place .

And what  pressures are present on the shooter to make the shot .

What if i HAD  to get a rabbit to feed my kids today .

Well we could argue that id be justifiable in taking a 1/10 chance shot  (if it was the only option. )

There can be many different factors that come into play and they may be different each time. Leading to different odds different days .

But then who knows exactly what the odds are when considering a shot .we can only go on past experiences  .i now consider the odds of me making a second 150 yd shot are greater than they were before yesterday .

Are they ? Hard to say .

I feel more confident about another shot but am i kidding myself. 

Its such an emotive area and trying to TELL someone what should or shouldnt be done is loose ground imo.

cheers